Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breathable Waders question

Default Breathable Waders question

I have searched the archives and came down to 2 waders to choose from. Its between Cabela's and Simms. I don't want to break the bank since I need to buy a whole outfit. Most of my fishing gear is flats boat oriented. And my solo pair of waders are Neoprene boots for duck hunting. Which after reading the archives, those are out.

What kind of warranty does Cabela's have? I would be happy with 4 years of use before having to buy another pair. That way I know what features I like and dislike.

If you fish like me, you better get simms if you want them to last that long.. This is in the Alaksan environment though....
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

If you fish more than 15 days per year, do any floating (which you probably will unless you spend all your time in the ocean or a jet boat), and plan to get away from crowds (hike off road system), Cabelas waders will disappoint you. They work great for straining pasta

Waders are IMHO the single most important piece of fishing gear in Alaska. Quality waders will have you on the water more often and increase the enjoyment of fishing. It's the one thing that you want to work ALL THE TIME.

Being wet and cold makes for a less enjoyable day, especially for steelhead (the most fun fish to chase in Alaska).

Good luck.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I have a pair of simms g3 waders, about 2 years old now and love them. Comfortable and very durable. I've known a few people that have had simms for close to 10 years before having any problems with them, using them very often in the summers. The new G3's are very nice too. Same waders as mine as far as I can tell, just a different color scheme and it might be thicker in some places. I think they're 399.

Simms G3 it is.

What type of boot works best in Alaska? I see for Felt will be illegal it looks like 2011. But I thought I read somewhere that there is a rubber type sole that is replacing it and its suppose to work as good.

The G-3 waders are cut a little tighter than the Guide models. Try them on if you can, or watch the sizing closely if you order online.

This is the last year that Simms will be making felt soled wading boots. There are felt soled Simms wading boots on sale at fly shops all over the country. If you don't fish that much and want your wading boots to last many years, it might be wise to buy wading boots with the Simms Streamtread soles now. That way you won't encounter problems with your felt soled boots not being allowed on streams that you want to fish down the road.

I recently fished a few days with a friend who was wearing a brand new pair of Simms G-4 Streamtread soled boots and he loved them.

I have the Freestone wading boots with the Streamtread soles and I am completely happy with them. They are towards the bottom of the line in cost for Simms boots, but still very good, comfortable boots.

I have both the Simms G-3 and the Guide boots with felt soles. I always wear the G-3s over the Guides because the G-3s are so easy to get on and off and because they are so comfortable because they are cut wide.

I wear Simms waders, boots, jackets, lining wear, hats, gloves, and shirts. I even wear there extreme insulated jacket to work all winter. Others opinions might vary, but I don't think that you can go wrong with Simms gear.

Default Best boots...

I like Korkers Streamborn boots. I wear them for all sorts of areas due to the fact that I can change out the sole.

http://www.korkers.com/product.php?recKey=37
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default call them

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...uct-flyer.html Great service and advice..... free shipping I love my g3.

I've been really happy with the Cabela's GT waders, and wear them most every day from June-Oct.

Not quite as comfy as my old Simms, but every bit as durable. I like the pocket in the front too. Not much of a warrenty, but the price is right.
    Nice Marmot.

you can never go wrong with cabela's. simms is far too expensive and in my opinion never worth what they want you to pay for. i've had the cabela's gore tex breathables for 5 years and not a problem. they don't make it any more so you'll have to choose another style. I never buy from anyone else. sure, i'll try orvis but you get just as good or even better stuff from cabela's at a much lower price. i tried simms breathables once and in 2 min. they were back in the box. too tight and not roomy and i sent them back. And besides, Cabela's gives more $$$ to more fishing & hunting organizations than the high priced simms who sells a wader for 700.00. would ever consider.

Simms waders are a little pricey, but you can pay 400 dollars for a very good quality pair of waders and have them last twice or three times as long as other brand waders. So 400 dollars sounds expensive up front, but it pays for itself in the long run.

I have to say that Simms is hands down my choice. You get what you pay for. They have the most size options, a great reputation, excellent customer service and warranty, and they are made in America.
    Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

I've got a pair of this year's Cabela's Guide Tech's that you can have. As I stated earlier, they work great for straining pasta. They are the worst waders that I've ever owned and I have 6 other pair hanging in my garage (and I throw most of them out).

I finally came around and purchased a pair of G3 Convertibles. I can't give a report because I only have 4 days in them. Those four days have been the best 4 days (wader wise) that I've had.

Spendy? Yes. Worth it? I'm kicking myself for not buying Sims 10 years ago.

I've never been in a pair of simms, but I've been in a few pairs of breathables. Including a nice pair of dan baileys that did last me a couple years.

I'm wearing a pair of gander mt breathables and they aint lasting for a hill of beans. Mind you I've hardly fished this year, ugg! Got a hole I cannot find, not a fun day when half your leg is wet.

Tradbow, check out the video "Finding Pinhole leaks". I think it's the third video down. It's pretty helpful.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/gal...llery_id=00006

Quote Originally Posted by akgloomis View Post
    In the wader world there is Simms and then everybody else. The thing to remember with Simms, is that building waders is what they do and that is all they do, every one else is a spin off of their normal business, it's not their sole specialty.
    I couldn't agree more..... that's why I use them!

pf..thanks for the link to the video...that's pretty darn cool! I'm gonna try that one right now.

I spend a lot of time in waders and have seen every brand fail, to include Simms. I chose to go with a middle of the road, costwise, 150 hodgeman. I felt best going that route. If they fail a few years down the road, I can afford another pair.

Also because I go places you shouldn't take expensive stuff. There last trip involved 5.5 hours busting brush, crawling, climbing and wading along the Upper Russian Lake to make it back to the river, darn wind.

Honestly though I think I got lucky and got the hercules pair of waders. I don't know how many times I've done something and thought, now they're going to leak, and nope dry as a bone.

I find myself thinking they are invinceable, l can leave the gun and mace at home, if a Grizz attacks, I'll duck into my waders, when he gets tired and leaves I'll poke my head out like and turtle, go fishing and still stay dry.

For 9 years running, I spent approximately 150 days a year in waders. I owned, used, and abused several brands. Simms waders easily get the nod as the most durable and comfortable.

Not saying other brands won't work for you, depending upon your uses and your budget. But are those other brands the best wader? Nope - not in my experience.

Good luck, and tight lines.

Maybe this is just biased but ive heard that simms don't hold up to the hard abuse, but this thread leans towards them being very durable. I've got some fresh frostbite from holes in my current waders and i could really use a pair that dont shred within a month of real use. Will the G3's hold up to a week straight of a river like the willow?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast