Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spacing Between Paragraphs...

Default Spacing Between Paragraphs...

Since yesterday, for sure, I have noticed that when I type a comment and allow for paragraphs,
    whether I preview or directly post, the skipped line for a new paragraph is deleted.

I must go back and allow for 'two lines' or clicks on 'enter' to result in one line between paragraphs.

No known adjustments to my settings on this end to contribute to that change.

Any one else... Any thoughts?

Someone suggested that the extra spacing was only alotted to premium members, but I'm not buying that!
    It's not like I'm using any extra paper, here!

You know -- it's the aesthetics of posting, and the avoidance of rambling text.

Thanks in advance,
    Spaceless, unless I double-space, Doc

Lightbulb Stop wasting Paper

I think you should stop wasting paper and ramble on in one giant paragraph

I noticed this too, it's kind of anoying.
    That's what she said...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by RSKY BIZ View Post
    Since yesterday, for sure, I have noticed that when I type a comment and allow for paragraphs,
    whether I preview or directly post, the skipped line for a new paragraph is deleted.

I must go back and allow for 'two lines' or clicks on 'enter' to result in one line between paragraphs.

No known adjustments to my settings on this end to contribute to that change.

Any one else... Any thoughts?

Someone suggested that the extra spacing was only alotted to premium members, but I'm not buying that!
    It's not like I'm using any extra paper, here!

You know -- it's the aesthetics of posting, and the avoidance of rambling text.

Thanks in advance,
    Spaceless, unless I double-space, Doc
    \\

i think my spacing allontment just got redused.....

THANKS!

NOPE no problem with pargaraph spacing for the premium Membes
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I'm reporting you to the Alaska Division of Space Conservation.

I'm definitely having an issue with this along with the quick reply still being down.

I think this is the reason for some hard-to-read hunt reports lately... (and yeah, I hit enter twice between these)

Default Yup... Still A P I T A!!

... or should I say still a 'space' issue?
    Still happening... still a PITA to have to double space paragraphs for a single space effect.

Any thoughts yet???

Thanks in advance...
    ~Spaced Out Doc

What's PITA....oh nevermind I figured it out...I thought is was some kinda fancy medical term...

Here's an extra space or two for you....
    That's what she said...

test

test

test

weird
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Default Temporary Thread Hijack...

... Hey wait, it's my thread!

Soggy -- you going to Palooza?

space still a PITA!

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by RSKY BIZ View Post
    ... Hey wait, it's my thread!

Soggy -- you going to Palooza?

space still a PITA!

Doc
    I am broke (as always). No Palooza happening for me. But, maybe next year..... between now and then I'll just write the songs.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Default Follow Up???

Any follow-up for a possible resolution to this spacing issue?

It is a PITA... and not only for aesthetics! 'Two spaces will get you one'...
    Or perhaps it's just a sad 'sign of the times.'

Anyone??? Admins?

Thanks!
    ~Spaced-Out Doc

hmmm I think the problems are Internet Explorer specific. I am using Firefox and don't see these problems.
    I imagine this is probably caused by one of those great microsoft "updates" ...

Default Microsoft Is Responsible For A Lot... But. . .

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    hmmm I think the problems are Internet Explorer specific. I am using Firefox and don't see these problems.
    I imagine this is probably caused by one of those great microsoft "updates" ...
    Hi LuJon-

I am using microsoft, but no updates in well over two months, at least...
    This issue has been the past 2-3 weeks... Keep thinking for us, though!
    space / space

Thanks!

Arrow XHTML vs. HTML

Its more complicated than that.

Internet Explorer (MSIE) does show pages on this forum differently than Firefox - posts appear more scrunched up with MSIE.

That doesn't really make it Microsoft's fault though; if fault is to be assigned it would have to go squarely on the shoulders of vBulletin - which is the software this forum uses.

What you're seeing is each browser's interpretation of how to handle the following HTML tag: <br />

This tag is not such a normal tag to use, specifically it is XHTML (a followon to HTML), not HTML.

MSIE isn't doing such a bad interpretation of it; it interprets it as a line break, which is exactly what it is.

The better question is why does Firefox interpret this as two line breaks? And the million dollar question is why does vBulletin use an HTML construct that is interpreted differently by two major browsers? In the world of web page construction, this is technically known as "dumb".

Looking at other browsers viewing this same forum, it appears that both the Google Chrome browser and the Opera browser both interpret this tag the same as Firefox, leaving MSIE standing alone in its (not incorrect) interpretation.

Three further observations:
    - It is situations like this that let you know that a browser is the worst possible tool to test whether or not an HTML page is built correctly or not - yet it is the #1 tool used by most web page/site builders to do so... go figure...

- It is extremely likely that the creators of this vBulletin forum software, like so many programmers in the world today, are anti-Microsoft, and just haven't seen vBulletin pages using MSIE. (This too is called "dumb" but it happens very commonly.)

- Anyone bothered by the scrunching (Doc ) can fix the problem yourself by using a better and safer browser than MSIE, which you probably should be doing for more important reasons than merely your viewing of this forum. (Let me know if you want reasons.)

Hope that helps.

It happened a couple days after the color change. About that time the default font changed. At that point I started to have to do two "enters" to get one blank line between my paragraphs. Happens in PM's too.

I am now going to try an experiment with Arial font.

Space or no space?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Well, switching fonts did no good.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Question problem is likely within the new template now used on this site

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    It happened a couple days after the color change. About that time the default font changed. At that point I started to have to do two "enters" to get one blank line between my paragraphs. Happens in PM's too.

I am now going to try an experiment with Arial font.

Space or no space?
    Quite likely the problem arrived within a new template that this site's admin(s) chose, when the appearance was tweaked recently by them.

vBulletin can use many page templates, and its easy to see from a reading of this vBulletin forum that many such templates have problems rendering consistently within different browsers.

Where's this site's admin that changed the color/style/appearance of this forum? Silent?

And yes, font is irrelevant to this spacing issue.

Default Spacing issue

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    ...Where's this site's admin that changed the color/style/appearance of this forum? Silent?..
    Hi Folks,

I just became aware of this thread and am referring it to our IT folks for review and comment. It appears that it MAY be an IE issue, related to recent releases of that software. I'm using a Mac, and viewing with Firefox, Safari, and an older version of IE. In all three cases when you guys hit the return key twice, your posts show up double-spaced between paragraphs.

When we changed colors and the header on the forums, that's all we did. I suppose this issue might be connected to that, somehow, but I doubt it. But we have an excellent IT team, and they will figure it out. I'll let you know.

Thanks for your patience!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Mike, theres also been a thread out for nearly a month on the quick reply button being down....maybe mention that one too! (the quick reply and multiquote buttons are still blue on my screen)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    When we changed colors and the header on the forums, that's all we did. I suppose this issue might be connected to that, somehow, but I doubt it. But we have an excellent IT team, and they will figure it out. I'll let you know.
    Why does it seem hard to imagine that choosing new colors and header meant choosing a different HTML template, whose HTML is interpreted differently between the browsers? (spacing wise, in this case?)

As another poster said so well, despite how much they do deserve it, you can't blame everything on MS.

Please post the findings of your IT team here Mike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast