Thread: scalding

Default scalding

This isn't about wild game but I had a question someone on here might have an answer to. I raise pigs and slaughter them in the fall. This year I'm thinking about doing a pig roast with one of them. Does anyone know of any processors that have the equipment to scald them so the hair will come off around Fairbanks/NP area?
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    This isn't about wild game but I had a question someone on here might have an answer to. I raise pigs and slaughter them in the fall. This year I'm thinking about doing a pig roast with one of them. Does anyone know of any processors that have the equipment to scald them so the hair will come off around Fairbanks/NP area?
    I couldn't think of a better place for the hair to come off. I hear they're a scrounging bunch up there anyway.

Sorry, I couldn't resist and no, I can't offer anything constructive.

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    I don't know of any either. I've done a few pig in a pit roasts. Once we skinned the pigs, turned out great. We also cooked them skin, on hair and all and just took the skin off while carving. Do you have an old bathtub and a way to boil large quantities of water?

A big tub, for the Pig, and a couple big pots of boiling water, a paint scraper and some protective gloves and "Vola" Pig scalding galore.....

Ive seen my Samoan buddy use a power steam washer, stripped 'em clean off.

Good luck.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Why pay someone? Set a clean 55 gallon drum on three cinder blocks set in a triangle with a small gap at one corner. Fill it half full of water, set a weed burner under it and let it heat up until the water is just beginning to boil but not bubbling hard. Lift the hog by it's back feet with a front end loader or bobcat and dunk it good for about 45 seconds. When you lift it out, immediately scrape down the side with a dull knife. If the hair doesn't come off easily, dunk it again. Repeat until it scrapes relatively easy. What ever you do, don't let it cool down between dunkings.

I do this every now and again 145 degree water dip hog until the hair starts slipping around the armpit area when pushed with a stick. If you get the water to hot you will scrape the hide right off the hog and have a mess. what I do is shoot the hog in the head then stick it what I mean by sticking it is take a long thin bladed knife and stab it right above the high spot on the sternum and move the knife side to side under the skin and get all the arteries and big veins without opening it up to much. Then string it up and dip it until the hair starts to slip then pull it out and start scrapping once you get most of the hair off take a small torch and burn off the rest now you are ready to pop the hooves off and gut it. PM me if you have any more questions.

Thanks for the ideas. I guess I can use one of my bear bait barrels to dunk him in. Maybe the neighbor will let me use his bobcat. How do you all roast your pigs? Do you filet them, roast them whole, in a roaster, underground, on a spit? I've done them underground but that was in Georgia, i don't know how that will work up here.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine