Thread: Shooting late, shame on you

Default Shooting late, shame on you

Just a friendly reminder for those Fairbanks folks hunting the Tanana River. I will not hesitate to turn your butts in for shooting after hours. The birds have to have a place to come, and if you shoot late, you take that away from them. If and when the weather turns bad again, those birds still will not fly early and come in. You just have to figure that on blue bird nights the birds are coming after shooting hours.
    Shooting ended at 9:08pm tonight. There was way too much shooting after hours. If you are intent on screwing up the hunting for others, I'll be just as intent on being sure you get to support the LEO Benevolent Fund.

And I wont hesitate to do the same for the Knick drainage!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Not all bad

I have to say I was happy and impressed with the folks down on the Anchorage Coastal Wildlife Refuge for observing legal shooting times on opening morning. Nobody fired early, by my watch. But, 6:22 on the dot, and it was like Fourth of July . Thanks for staying legal guys. Sorry you did not witness the same in other areas.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

The people at 20mile, placer river, and that whole area did good on timing for the AM as well. Did not stick around for the PM shooting. I went back to my house and the ACWR

Eielson ponds good on it too! no Shots till time. Awesome fellas. LEO was around...We said HI.

Thumbs down Early Eielson Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by KUMA View Post
    Eielson ponds good on it too! no Shots till time. Awesome fellas. LEO was around...We said HI.
    Unfortunetly, I have to disagree with the Eielson report, at least on opening day. We had some fellas shoot almost 10 minutes early that morning. When I yelled across the lake to make sure they knew the appropriate shooting time they continued to fire. It was a shame as we passed on birds they were pushing towards us because it wasn't legal to shoot yet. Since then though, all has been legit.

Yesterday, we too were visited and checked by a State Trooper. Glad to see them around.

Default People better get the message

Last night I tried to save some guys a bit of trouble. We pulled decoys right at closing time, and headed downriver. By the time we got to some guys below us it was 20 minutes after legal shooting.
    Their decoys were still out, and they were hidden in the trees, so I shut down and talked with them. A flock came by just before legal time ended and they did not get a shot, so I mentioned that. Then asked if they were done shooting. Not sure the response, but it did not sound like, "Thanks for the heads up".
    So I pulled around the corner, and took pictures of the Extreme Shallow ( I moved the camo net to get photos of the registration number) and the Wooldridge parked right behind it.
    I have no animosity that they found a good spot in an area that is known to hold geese. But on clear nights, when the sun sets behind Chena Ridge and the sky turns red, normally the geese fly late. So if a guy thinks nothing about sitting late to shoot geese, then he just has to understand that there may be issues related to that.
    I have hunted those sandbars for over 30 years. I know how the birds move. There are lots of choices in places to hunt, so if somebody is set up where I want to go, no big deal. Again, the problem is not only is it illegal to shoot after sunset, but the birds will end up holding tight at Creamers Field and FT WW and not come in until it is almost pitch black. Then on the nights that it is stormy, they come in very spooked.
    Come on guys, respect the birds if you won't respect other hunters. Give the birds their space. There are always more days to hunt.
    And to the guys back in the far corner with the outboard and mojo spinning away, thanks for doing your part to play the game right.

Hey Greg, ya got room for another boomsticker in the boat? Figure I cant bowhunt this year....I pulled the old 12ga out picked up a box of steel and a few calls.....been trying to puddle jump around town this afternoon...not much around or to many people around....

Drop me a line if ya do you've got my #

Default 2 short stories

Two short stories from the weekend, one is a good lesson on the subject of this thread:
    #1) Went out on the Tanana Saturday...set up on a gravel bar. I should've known...being a Saturday night on a holiday weekend with severely beautiful weather. As AK River Rat's been saying...too nice for geese to be flying during hunting hours. Only thing we saw were ($&#(g ravens, and heard nothing but gun shots...to include full-auto fire. To anyone who was out there...what in the h#** was the artillery sounding shots going on??? We packed out about 20 minutes early due to son's boredom (I didn't want to burn him out on his first hunt)...so no...I wasn't one of those guys.

#2) Sunday, my son and I were duck hunting on military land. Shooting time ended at 8:49pm. At about 840pm, my son dropped his first duck...as soon as it hit the water I sent my lab. The duck dove and never came back up. We (including my lab) spent 20 minutes trying to find it. I had my watch alarm set for 8:49. When it went off, I told my son to unload his gun. He asked..."what if my duck comes up?". I told him we couldn't shoot it after hours. Long story short...we never found his duck, but when we got back to my truck, an MP was there waiting for us. He was listening to us and heard our whole conversation and commended us on our ethics (both searching for the duck and unloading at quitting time). It made my son feel better about not finding his first duck.