Thread: Does your hauler (pot puller) do this??

Default Does your hauler (pot puller) do this??

I was out on monday for a days bugging and i wanted to try out my new camera so i gave the hauler a few extra r's and let some water fly, now if anybody ever sets over me i know i can just burn through their rope

flying water hauler 2.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Talking Confused

Steve, Are you complaining or bragging? If your complaining, I would slow your puller down. If your bragging, well......you'd be the first one to do it on this forum!
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Default Pot Puller?

What kind is it? I am looking for a new one for next year and wonder what all of you recommend as far as what to buy and where to buy it?

Thanks much for your help everyone!

I believe it's one of those Electrodyne's Steve's been talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by akfishonguy View Post
    wonder what all of you recommend as far as what to buy and where to buy it?
    Take a guess....

Default Hi Performance ElectroDyne

That thing does pull fairly fast. You have to be on your toes when you get close to your pots surfacing. I am embarrassed to say that I lost one when it came up and hit the block. ( my buddy layed the pots and put one on the other side of the marker) I will say that I did burn up a Folbe open block. It is one of the composite molded types. It has plastic bushings in it. My 12 year old told me that it felt hot. Sure enough, shortly later it was seized. I had to take it apart and use a 3/8 socket as a bushing to finish the trip. Oh well, I am never going to complain about anything being too fast. I guess now I just need a "Hi Performance" block. What do you got Steve??????

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Quote Originally Posted by Soundfisher View Post
    That thing does pull fairly fast. You have to be on your toes when you get close to your pots surfacing. I am embarrassed to say that I lost one when it came up and hit the block. ( my buddy layed the pots and put one on the other side of the marker) I will say that I did burn up a Folbe open block. It is one of the composite molded types. It has plastic bushings in it. My 12 year old told me that it felt hot. Sure enough, shortly later it was seized. I had to take it apart and use a 3/8 socket as a bushing to finish the trip. Oh well, I am never going to complain about anything being too fast. I guess now I just need a "Hi Performance" block. What do you got Steve??????
    I would contact Folbe I think they would stand behind the block Bill & Joel are good guys to deal with. You may need a heavier block but I would get that one replaced and at least have it as a spare.

Mike

The hauler on my boat IS NOT A ELECTRA DYNE !! Its a hydraulic hauler that i built and runs off of the hydraulic system on my bowpicker/gillnetter. Like i said in the post i did crank up the engine rpms a bit to get the water to fly off the block for the picture but just running at idle it pulls pretty fast and better yet its never stopped hauling no matter how hard i was hung down in a rockpile, the boat just keeps laying over and the rope just gets thinner & thinner the harder i pull, usually i just pop it off the hauler and pull from different directions till something comes loose or the pot rips off.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Soundfisher View Post
    I'm working on it Jerry, come next spring i'll have a good one.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default Burned up another block

Just got back from the sound.Out for 24 hours. Shrimping was great. 11 stuffed one gallon ziplocks full of tails. Fishing was great also, but the catching was terrible. I traded in the Folbe block for a new one. It says that it is rated for 700 pounds. On my fist pull, it was starting to seize again. I had to take it apart and remove the wasted bushing and put in two nuts to act as a bushing. Is anybody else having this problem? ( the first pull, each pot had 100-140 shrimp per pot) that doesnt equal 500 pounds does it? I must say, that actually made the ED work. Was my 3.5 hour set too long and too many shrimp got in there?Oh well, I have until next season to get a nice block.

Sounds like you need to get rid of the plastic stuff. Probably have to spend the bucks for an aluminum snatch block. What size pump are you running off the engine?

Default water slinging?

I'd be embarrased by such a piddly stream, Steve. My 7yr old grandson can piss a bigger stream than that off the back of my boat! Ive never recorded for posterity sake what a water wheel I'm running off that E-dyne with all the hand made attachments but I'd bet if I harnesed that stream it would run a 5kw generator! Of course that generator could run the header / peeler I invented this year, then id be fully automatic. I may just have to put some packages together for folks interested in the ultimate, kind of a shrimp combine thing. Just drive overum and the gallon bags drop out into the ice chest.

Hey, arent you suppose to be back east shopping for my new wire?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    I'd be embarrased by such a piddly stream, Steve. My 7yr old grandson can piss a bigger stream than that off the back of my boat! Ive never recorded for posterity sake what a water wheel I'm running off that E-dyne with all the hand made attachments but I'd bet if I harnesed that stream it would run a 5kw generator! Of course that generator could run the header / peeler I invented this year, then id be fully automatic. I may just have to put some packages together for folks interested in the ultimate, kind of a shrimp combine thing. Just drive overum and the gallon bags drop out into the ice chest.

Hey, arent you suppose to be back east shopping for my new wire?
    Mike
    Here we go the "Shrimpamatic" by the Master of Metal i can see it now the delux model that deveins them and lines'em up in the bags tail up tail down for that perfect fit in the freezer.
    How's 1/2"x1" on the bottom & 1x1 on the sides and top grab'ya ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692