Thread: .338 Win. Mag. users...

Question .338 Win. Mag. users...

I know there are a bunch of you that shoot .338 Win. Mags. What is your go to bullet and load and why? I use the old 250 grain Barnes X, Win. cases, Federal 215 Mag. primers and a caseful of RL19. Muzzle velocity according to the old chrony is about 2700 fps. I know it is not the only good .338 bullet. but I have 350 of them left and that long heavy bullet penetrates from here to tomorrow. My Winchester really likes them so that helps.

Default current favorite

225 nos part seated to Nosler book 6 Max COAL in a rem case trim to 2.494. Light 1/2 grain less than book max of IMR 4350 with a FED 215M.

2900 fps 3/4" groups and kicks a hell of a lot less than the 250's.

same everything except change powder to RL22 and run 74 grains. 2775 fps. My original load....

72 grains RL22 gave 2650 all day long and .323" groups all day as well....

don't recall the 250 grainer loads..... they just hurt.... or maybe that's cuz of the 2 disks that used to be in my neck.......

I load for my brothers Remington 700 in 338WM.

Winchester brass trimmed -.010 after sizing
    CCI 250
    Nosler Partition 250gr
    COL 3.319 is .050 off in his rifle
    H-4831 @ 68.1gr 2660fps

This is his favorite load for everything. He has a very old Redfield Accu-Track scope with an elevation dial marked in 100 yard increments out to 600 yards. It has a ranging system that marks distance. You just select that range and squeeze, it's calibration matches this load perfectly.

If your .338WM is shooting the 250-grain Barnes-X that well, don't mess with it and keep on reloading them. However, you may want to give RL-22 or even RL-25 a try. Both are slower than RL-19, and maybe will keep the pressure a little lower, since 2,660 fps is more than plenty.

My favorite is the 225-grain TSX with RL-19 and the same primers you are using. I follow the Barnes manual to work-up a load with this bullet, but have plenty of Federal factory rounds left, and haven't reloaded for awhile. I hardly use more than one round to kill my moose, and only reload for practice at the range

Wink 338 wm

One of the things that I like about the 338 is how well all three of ours shoot. I had been using the 200 Branes in the wifes 338 but have recently switched to the 210 Barnes. She is shooting a Savage 116. In both of my MD 70's I am shooting anything from the 185 Barnes to 275 Speers. For most of my hunting I have switched to the 225 Barnes and Sierra 215's. The 275's have been grouping at 3/4" for three shots at 100 yards and are fun to shoot. For partice we shoot a lot of Sierra's. They are not that expenseive and they shoot well. It helps in gaining confidance in your shooting.
    Find a bullet that you want to hunt with and the find some less expensive bullets and shoot, shoot, shoot. While the 338 is a good caliber to hunt with up here, too many people do not spend the time to really get to know their rifle.
    While working out a possible issue with a resizing die, we figured that in the 37 years that we have owned/shoot 338's we have reloaded in excess of 12,000 rounds. A lot of rounds down range!

My Remington 700 likes the 250 gr Nosler Partition with 68 gr of H4831SC. It thinks it's a target rifle with these loads!
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    One of the things that I like about the 338 is how well all three of ours shoot. I had been using the 200 Branes in the wifes 338 but have recently switched to the 210 Barnes. She is shooting a Savage 116. In both of my MD 70's I am shooting anything from the 185 Barnes to 275 Speers. For most of my hunting I have switched to the 225 Barnes and Sierra 215's. The 275's have been grouping at 3/4" for three shots at 100 yards and are fun to shoot. For partice we shoot a lot of Sierra's. They are not that expenseive and they shoot well. It helps in gaining confidance in your shooting.
    Find a bullet that you want to hunt with and the find some less expensive bullets and shoot, shoot, shoot. While the 338 is a good caliber to hunt with up here, too many people do not spend the time to really get to know their rifle.
    While working out a possible issue with a resizing die, we figured that in the 37 years that we have owned/shoot 338's we have reloaded in excess of 12,000 rounds. A lot of rounds down range!
    Agree with you. The .338WM is perhaps one of the top cartridges relating to versatility, perhaps because of the numerous bullet weights and construction made for it. For example, Federal loads 180-grain bullets at a little over 3,100 fps. These loads are for long range hunting of smaller game such as deer, pronghorn, etc. Loaded at such speed, it strikes the 500-yard mark within 2" of the .300WM loaded with a similar bullet.

Loaded with a 250 or 275-grain A-Frame, it can tackle anything in Alaska at closer ranges. The same can be said for loading it with a 300-grain Woodleigh bullet. But I have settled on the 225-grain TSX as a all around bullet for Alaska, since I mostly hunt moose in bear country.

Thumbs up 225 Accubond

338 Win

My 70 likes the Reloader 19 @ 75.1 with 225gr Accubonds and WLR primers and FC Nickle Brass. Moose like them too!

I have shot the 225gr TSX with IMR 4350 with good results also very tough bullet.