Thread: Wolf Dens

Default Wolf Dens

Do wolves tend to use the same dens year after year? I was under the impression that they do, but I'm not sure about this...

Anyhow, a few years ago I came across a den while on a walk-in caribou hunt in the Kenai Mountains. I didn't realize it was a den until after I shot the first wolf. About 6 more exploded out of there, and while I didn't get any others it was pretty surreal to see all of that. I was wondering if it is worth checking out again sometime in the future. So, the questions are - do they use the same dens, and what time of the year do they pretty much abandon the den (i.e. would they still be around the same vicinity in late fall/early winter?) Thanks for the help, fellas.

-Brian

We're not going to answer that question unless you promise that your going to set traps there!!!!!!! Otherwise, you have to ask on the "Hunting" forum.
    Man...........too bad you couldn't "smoke the whole pack!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

You know, I thought about posting this on the hunting forum, but I figured that you trappers would have better info. Perhaps I'm breaking our own rules in some small way as to placing it in the appropriate forum, but...

To be honest, I'd love to set traps in the area if they'll still be frequenting it in the winter. If so, I'll assure you that I'll give it my best shot, MT. I've hunted sheep in these mountains a few times, and every time I'm up there I find wolf droppings with sheep hair in it. The sheep population in the area could certainly use the help.

-Brian

Truthfully, the best answer to your question would be found in wolf literature. Maybe do a google search or read thru ADF&G's info on the net.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!