Thread: Stampede trail moose hunt

Default Stampede trail moose hunt

My buddies and I are going moose hunting here in a couple of weeks, and we are thinking of going into the Stampede trail area. We have a couple of 4 wheelers and alot of motivation, but I don't know how far back we can go. I know there are a few rivers back there, and I don't think we'll be crossing any, but am looking for some advice on the area as far as terrain and maybe a tip or two.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well you can get back far enough to stay in an old bus....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default keep your eyes open

keep your eyes open for lost princess employees !!

and a canoe toting kid

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Well, I will keep this all in mind.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

If you go back that way, keep in mind that the first river, the Savage, is relatively easy to cross (given that you have half a brain and the water isn't especially high). However, the second river, the Teklanika, is a different story. Don't mess with it unless the water is low, the forecast is good, and you really know what you're doing.

Beware the northern Park boundary. There is a section of the trail that runs through the Park, and you do NOT want to kill anything there. Expect to see a ranger or two.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Kid View Post
    Expect to see a ranger or two.
    And competition.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

There are several well established camps around the Savage river area. They are friendly enough folks but they hunt a very large area. We had three hunters on 4 wheelers and spent a week in there. We hunted hard but never saw a moose or bear or any large game. We talked to one of the big camps and they said that they usually see more animals than the year we were there. With that said, it is beautiful country. It has a very moosey feel to it. We had a great time but I won't be going back.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Kid View Post
    If you go back that way, keep in mind that the first river, the Savage, is relatively easy to cross (given that you have half a brain and the water isn't especially high). However, the second river, the Teklanika, is a different story. Don't mess with it unless the water is low, the forecast is good, and you really know what you're doing.

Beware the northern Park boundary. There is a section of the trail that runs through the Park, and you do NOT want to kill anything there. Expect to see a ranger or two.

Good luck.

week of solid rain rivers are coming up.. Daniel and i watched the chena come up fast last night.. same in that area...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I read a moose management report and it did say that the moose densities in this area were not very good. We'll just see what we can do.

Low moose densities means there's a better chance the moose you do see will be mature, generally. IF you see one.

Went hunting out there and got me a nice young bull. The nice thing about this area is it is an any bull hunt. There is some moose out there, you'll see mostly cows/calves but you can find a bull. We got one last year there also and a few years before that. Couldn't make it out past the savage river due to how high the water was but got my moose closer to camp. But the trail itself is alot better this year than other years, the bogs are practically dried up. Be aware of the park boundaries though, the troopers or park service have been flying the boundary DAILY with there chopper and there was a trooper camping back there, I think they may have set up a moose decoy on the part of the trail that is in the park so try not to kill anything in that area There is alot of people that hunt this area though, we set up on top of hill across the valley and spotted seven groups of hunters in this one valley and seen no moose in that area all day It is worth a shot though, definitely not the best hunting area, your likely not going to pick and choose the bull you want but you may get lucky and find ya one to fill the freezer.

Well maybe we'll hit the savage next weekend if we can't drop anything close to home. I really appreciate this info.

[QUOTE=pike_palace;571352]Well maybe we'll hit the savage next weekend if we can't drop anything close to home. I really appreciate this info.[/QUOTE}
    keep in mind that the longer the season gets on..... the more folks from your side of town show up in healy and north...

the Ferry and lignight, stampeded trails are packed NOW.. they will be like the parks in wasilla at 730 am next two and a half weeks..........

meet on face book here

There is also the jeep tours and atv tours that use the stampede trail. So be prepared to see a bunch of tourists gawkin at you as you pass them with your rifle and hopefully a moose in tow Seen a few hikers going to the "bus in the book" out there also...there is also a bunch of bunnies, grouse and squirrels if you ever get hungry out there!