Thread: How late in September can you catch silvers in Valdez?

Question How late in September can you catch silvers in Valdez?

I was wondering when the Silvers quit running in Valdez?

Quote Originally Posted by AlcanRon View Post

They get pretty cleaned out after Labor Day, Commercial guys come in and clean up after the holiday weekend...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default quit

This year I think that they quit running before they got there............

The comm nets go in the day after labor day. This year it is Tuesday the 8th of September - or least that is what I was able to find out.....

I was there Saturday and was told that due to the poor run of silvers....they may not let the comm guys sein it out. Seeing is beleiving though.

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUX View Post
    I was there Saturday and was told that due to the poor run of silvers....they may not let the comm guys sein it out. Seeing is beleiving though.
    There will be no commercial fishery.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeypeet View Post
    There will be no commercial fishery.

So does that mean you can still catch decent numbers of fish after September 8? Do you have a link to EO for the closure? Hearing this might justify me taking another trip down there this month...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    So does that mean you can still catch decent numbers of fish after September 8? Do you have a link to EO for the closure? Hearing this might justify me taking another trip down there this month...

Fish On!
    No link but this is what the processors/canneries are telling their fishermen. The hatchery needs to take the silvers for cost recovery. With that said, there may be a hatchery boat that "cleans up" the port at some point but it won't be the commerical fleet. Or at least this is what I'm hearing.

That is interesting news. Should I consider another road trip?? Decisions, decisions....

I would pass on Valdez. I just returned and it was dead. There were more fish being caught in the harbor than anywhere else. There were people actually trolling the harbor. It was a beautiful weekend other than the lack of fish. SUnny all day Saturday & Sunday

I trolled in the harbor and boated 73!!!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AlcanRon View Post

Thanksgiving... was the latest i caught one...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default I agree

Beautiful weather this last weekend. Fishing in harbor near boat launch was pretty good; off the rocks at Sea Otter RV park was pretty bad! Allison Pt was slower than slooooooow. Funny, I couldnt believe folks trolling through harbor..pretty funny. The hot lure..#5 Vibrax gold blade, fl red body.

Quote Originally Posted by High_Pockets View Post
    I would pass on Valdez. I just returned and it was dead. There were more fish being caught in the harbor than anywhere else. There were people actually trolling the harbor. It was a beautiful weekend other than the lack of fish. SUnny all day Saturday & Sunday