Thread: News Miner Letter to the editor (Illeagal Moose)

Angry News Miner Letter to the editor (Illeagal Moose)

Did anyone read the letters to the editor today? I guess someone witnessed someone shoot a cow moose and one of the calves leaving an orphaned calf. This happened near two rivers along the road last week. Somone always has to ruin it for everyone.
    Last edited by BigMackinaw; 09-01-2009 at 20:50. Reason: Spelling

Problem is that it wasn't illegal. Shooting a cow with calves or a calf is now legal in the FMA. If somebody has a problem with it, go to the board of game on the next session.

*edit* just read the article, I thought this was FMA where it is legal, I guess it was one of the cow rifle tags, so it is illegal and should be reported. The writer is a moron, but it's getting a lot of feedback.

Default Here is the link

http://newsminer.com/news/2009/sep/0...shoot/?opinion

I commented (Alaska1). No offense here folks, but lets not call another person with a differnt opinion moron. That does nothing to help those of us that hunt ethically. Issues like this are bound to come up. I hope that there is a way that we can all make use of the cow populations without such a fiasco.

Honestly, I woudl LOVE to see to more resdidental areas of CHSR RD go bow hunting only. I wouldnt even be sad if it ALL was. It could become a WORLD CLASS bow hunt that could help drive revenue to Fairbanks. That woudl not be a bad thing in my mind, and I bet the businesses along CHSR such as the Pleasant Valley store woudl love the cash.

Be safe out there everone!

I hear that there was a 47" 2x2 left to rot down this way in Caribou Hills as well. There is no excuse for this behavior. If you screw up and make a bad judgement call, or see something that is or is not there, man up and make the call and turn it in. do not waste the animal. Let someone eat good for the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    I hear that there was a 47" 2x2 left to rot down this way in Caribou Hills as well. There is no excuse for this behavior. If you screw up and make a bad judgement call, or see something that is or is not there, man up and make the call and turn it in. do not waste the animal. Let someone eat good for the winter.

The wolves and coyotes will eat well.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Default Low light or trigger happy

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    I've seen folks 4-wheeling around who looked like they would shoot just about anything they came upon. The sort that gut-shot the little moose seen in the Clarion yesterday. They have rifles but no pack or other gear to be seen. I'm guessing it's more like a video game to them, and when the shot is fired, they have no stomach or ability for the hard work. In my opinion, they're just one step over from sign shooters. No brain and one bullet too many.

Yeah... when will they design those road signs so they ricochette the bullet back at the nitwit shooter and reduce their gene pool?

I'm probably gonna get hell for this. But why bow hunt? Is it more sporting?...Seriously, why are we using outdated technology to take an animal when we have the ability to take it without the animal suffering. AND I'M NO ENVIRONMENTALIST TREE HUGGER.

I'm truly curious about this. It seems to be very popular, but I know on many occasions the animal suffers needlessly. What's next? Spears? NOW THAT'S SPORTING!

If it's because a bow can be used without the concern for a bullet damaging personal property, etc., I'm all for it.

Default uh huh

Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    I'm probably gonna get hell for this. But why bow hunt? Is it more sporting?...
    yup... you will.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default I see what your saying but....

I'm probably gonna get hell for this. But why bow hunt? Is it more sporting?...Seriously, why are we using outdated technology to take an animal when we have the ability to take it without the animal suffering. AND I'M NO ENVIRONMENTALIST TREE HUGGER.

I'm truly curious about this. It seems to be very popular, but I know on many occasions the animal suffers needlessly. What's next? Spears? NOW THAT'S SPORTING!

If it's because a bow can be used without the concern for a bullet damaging personal property, etc., I'm all for it.
    Bow hunting is fine (and im not one) if you have a skilled person who's put in the time or practice required to take an animal in the field correctly. A well placed arrow usually kills just as quick as a lung/heart/liver shot from a rifle. A person that doesn't belong behind a bow is just as likley to make an animal suffer as a person that doesn't belong behind a gun. It's not so much what your shooting, its who is shooting.

What's next? Spears? NOW THAT'S SPORTING!

you first...

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I don't get it either. Why shoot it with a bow and arrow when a 30 cal bullet sometimes takes moe than one shot. I get the sneeking in and stalking, but why not make a good clean kill instead of hoping you hit it in the right spot with a broadhead meat slicer that will mangel (injure) if shot poorly?

Default My way or the highway!

Why does everyone have to insist that if others dont do it thier way they are wrong..If they would just admit that ..... oh hell...i could try to explain but those that think they are right wont friggin listen anyways!! BOW GUN KNIFE SPEAR...I got an idea...you have to jump on their backs and strangle em to death...cause they just wont listen!!

[QUOTE=dslater;569627]
    What's next? Spears? NOW THAT'S SPORTING!

[QUOTE]

I have a friend that spear hunts bears all the time. Before you ask, it is here in Ak and it is legal.

There are a few videos on You tube but none are him.

Default Archery vs Guns

DSLATER,
    You stated you are serious for some input so I will try to do some justice to your question.
    I have been a bow and gun hunter for more than 40 years, and have taken my fair share of game. I have never lost a gun shot animal but have a few arrow mishaps. Even though I really try to take very ethical shots sometimes it does not work out. However, the "wounded" animals with arrows have a remarkably high survival rate. I have seen wounded deer a day or two later, showing almost no ill effects of a bad arrow hit. Reason, arrows make clean cuts with almost no impact damage allowing the cut to heal quickly. I have taken 3 deer with broadheads that had healed over from years past and they showed no signs of misfortune.
    If you cut your hand with a razor blade it would hurt but heal quickly - however smash your hand and it will be very painful, perhaps have broken bones, and take a long time to heal. Where many animals perish is during that long time to heal phase where they are too injured to get food and one condition causes others to manifest.
    So, in a nutshell a good archery hunter taking ethical shots may wound an occasional animal, but odds are they will make a full recovery unless gut shot or spine hit generally. In comparrison a bullet gut shot animal will probably suffer the same fate as a arrow gut shot. Arrows simply do little collateral damage vs a bullet and a properly placed arrow will kill an animal just as quickly as any bullet will - literally seconds many times.
    I think we have to be careful critisizing any fellow hunter that chooses only one style weapon - we are all out for the same reasons and our sport will benefit more if we stand together instead of pointing fingers...
    Hopefully this gives you some food for thought - it is a fair question from a non bowhunting viewpoint.... I do believe all hunters should have to pass some form of simple shooting test no matter what weapon they choose - I see way too many grab a bow or gun and decide they are hunters with no effort being put into getting proficient with said weapons.
    Randy

Why take an animal with a bow you ask, why not?? Some people prefer to take a gun in the field and make 200, 300, 400 yard shots and some prefer the challenge of stalking in to 30 yards and releasing an arrow. The way I am understanding a few of these posts is that archery equipment is not as accurate or deadly as a gun. It takes an equal amount of practice to be efficient in both of them. I hunt with rifles, shotguns, muzzleloaders, and bows and in my opinion getting an animal down with a bow is a more rewarding experience than any other weapon, for me at least. First, you have to get close enough and avoid the animals senses. When it comes time for the shot countless things can go wrong, your peep tubing breaks, you catch your string on your sleeve, your arrow is damaged, sight got bumped off, you hit a branch etc. But when it all comes together and you make a good shot it is an awesome feeling. So to answer your question, that is why I hunt with a bow.

Well, you asked the question so at least perhaps we can educate you a little bit.

Why would you (and the 2-3 other guys that posted here agreeing with you) believe that shooting an animal with a rifle is less stressful to the animal that being shot with a bow??

When an animal is shot in the vitals with a bow, there is no BOOM to scare them; no hydrostatic shock to pound their internal organs into jelly; and no follow-up BOOMS to scare them even more, after they are already on stress alert. Most animals shot in the vitals (heart/lung area) with a bow seem to feel a sharp *****, like you might when slicing a finger; then, if you don't make any noise to aleat them, they often resume what they were doing prior to being shot, until they fall down dead in a minute or so (with larger animals like moose and bear it takes a little longer).

It's a pretty pitiful display of lack of knowledge to presume that an animal shot with a rifle suffers less than an animal shot with a bow. All a rifle does is make it easier on YOU to kill the animal; it doesn't make it any easier on the animal. And by the way, being shot with a bow OR a rifle is generally a more humane way of dying, than the other options the wild animal faces (starvation, disease, winter, being caught and killed by predators).

Sorry to be a little harsh, but if you had phrased your question a little more respectfully, I would probably have responded in kind. When you ask a question in a righteous manner, expect to get lectured when you don't know what you're talking about.

From a gun and bow hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Wetland04 View Post
    I don't get it either. Why shoot it with a bow and arrow when a 30 cal bullet sometimes takes moe than one shot. I get the sneeking in and stalking, but why not make a good clean kill instead of hoping you hit it in the right spot with a broadhead meat slicer that will mangel (injure) if shot poorly?
    Another expert. An arrow to the vitals makes a wound channel between 1.5 - 3 inches wide (with newer arrow technology). A .30 caliber bullet makes a would channel one third of an inch wide. Which one is gonna make it harder to stop the bleeding? You tell me.

Let's make it easier to figure out. If someone gave you the option of being shot through the lungs, and let you choose an instrument that would cut a 3/10" hole or a 3" hole - which would you choose?

I have a friend that guides brown bears on Kodiak and has done so for the last 10 years. A few years ago he shot a 9' bear with a bow and it died quicker (less than 10 seconds) than any of the bear kills he'd been on..even when shot with big magnums. I watched a show on the Outdoor Channel the other day where an archer shot an 8' bear with a bow and I counted the seconds before it went down. It traveled less than 20 yards and I counted 12 seconds before it died.

My own experience shooting a black bear and a caribou with a bow is that both died in about the same length of time as most of my rifle kills when shot through the lungs. I have had some instantanious kills with a rifle, but both were bad shots that hit spine.

I have been on hunts that we spent hours tracking a wounded bear shot with a bow. I have been on hunts that we spent hours tracking a wounded deer with a rifle. A bad shot is a bad shot, regardless of the weapon.

BTW..mdhunter... I know what you are getting at, but a .30 caliber bullet out of a high powered rifle makes a much bigger wound channel that .30 What happens is that the surrounding area is "shocked" and springs back, not necessarily bleeding. An arrow, will cut a big slice, like you say, and the bleeding is intense. Having butchered numerous animals of both methods, the arrow bleed-out within the chest cavity is significantly greater than most cases with a rifle.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    BTW..mdhunter... I know what you are getting at, but a .30 caliber bullet out of a high powered rifle makes a much bigger wound channel that .30 What happens is that the surrounding area is "shocked" and springs back, not necessarily bleeding. An arrow, will cut a big slice, like you say, and the bleeding is intense. Having butchered numerous animals of both methods, the arrow bleed-out within the chest cavity is significantly greater than most cases with a rifle.
    You' re right of course - I think I was a little agitated when I responded, and forgot to factor in bullet expansion. I actually prefer to hunt with a rifle, because I can only use my rifles when hunting outside my home state - all bow, shotgun, and muzzleloader where I hunt in MD.