Thread: Wanting to hunt Fairbanks area with 30-30

Default Wanting to hunt Fairbanks area with 30-30

I have an urge to go hunting before the season is over. Everyone I know is pretty much going or has gone, and I want in. I only have a Marlin 30-30 lever action rifle, no scope, and some handguns. Is there anything I can take with this rifle in the interior? ANd do I need tags for everything possible to hunt? Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by jduvall89 View Post
    I have an urge to go hunting before the season is over. Everyone I know is pretty much going or has gone, and I want in. I only have a Marlin 30-30 lever action rifle, no scope, and some handguns. Is there anything I can take with this rifle in the interior? ANd do I need tags for everything possible to hunt? Thank you!
    From wolves to black bears to Moose you will be fine if you can shoot accurately and are willing to work to get close. Your thuty-thuty is a fine little lever gun though I prefer the winchesters. Read the regs then go pick up the tags for the animals you may be interested in harvesting, then pick a destination and head out. Feel free to ask any questions you may have but you will generally be best recieved if you do some of the legwork and ask for fairly specific information.

I'd hunt anything in this state, with the 30-30. Fine cartridge, kill's 'em all.

Now, GIT!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    I'd hunt anything in this state, with the 30-30. Fine cartridge, kill's 'em all.Now, GIT!
    Me also..........the firearm will kill anything in Alaska.....so any problem is OPERATOR error.....

I have taken more animals with my Marlin 30-30 than with my .270, 300 WSM and .338 WM put together. It's all about shot placement and using the right bullet.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Took my first caribou at age 8 with a 30-30. They are great guns for hunting in Alaska. Thanks for the trip down memeory lane, I think its about time to dig the 'ol 30-30 out of the gun safe and blow the dust of it.

Go for it. I've killed everything from deer to grizz with my 30-30. Its not my first choice for grizz, but if the opportunity presents itself and you do your part (shot placement), it works just fine. It is a great black bear and moose cartridge. Fine for caribou as well if the shot distance is reasonable. I've never had a scope on mine. There aren't many guns out there that carry as well or are as fun to shoot as a 30-30 with a peep sight.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Default Here's a link to the regs

You're probably hunting around unit 20. The FBX/NP guys could probably point you in the right direction for an area to try.

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...gulations.main

Tim

Alright, thanks guys, That gives me some good encouragement. I will have to find a partner and see if we can head out soon. ANy recommended spots to go? Do you just go wherever you think there might be some animals? I am new to this but I will go with an experienced hunter, just would like some prior knowledge. thanks

don't go where I'm going...lol..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.