Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I REALLY screwed up, please help!

Unhappy I REALLY screwed up, please help!

Hi there,

I'm hoping some experts out there can help me. Here's the situation: The only way I could convince my dad to go on a cruise is by taking one to Alaska. He's not a cruise kind of guy, but really wants to see Alaska. So, I convinced him to take the family on a 7 day cruise leaving out of Seward. We were going to arrive a couple of days ahead of time and let him do a full day of halibut fishing out of Seward. Dad's happy. Now the problem - I went a little cruise crazy and convinced him to cancel the 7 day cruise and book a 14 day one. Everything was great, because we were originally scheduled with a full day stop in Seward. Dad was still happy as a clam. The PROBLEM- the itinerary updated to a full day stop in Anchorage - yeah, actually Anchorage, not Seward, not Whittier... Anchorage. We're scheduled to be there from 7am to 11pm - we're not stopping in Seward anymore! We are also making a short stop in Homer the day before from 10am to 6pm. I haven't broken the news to my dad yet because I'm still desperately trying to figure out a way to make halibut fishing still happen for him. Can someone PLEEEASE give me a little ray of hope? Would renting a car and driving 3 hours to Seward the day we're in Anchorage be completely impossible/crazy? Any other options? I feel like the worst daughter ever.. and a complete a-hole for taking away the carrot I dangled in front of him.

You can probably get a 1/2 day charter in Homer while you're there or drive 2 hours each way to Seward or the 1 hour drive each way to Whittier from Anchoage.

Quote Originally Posted by Benji817 View Post
    Hi there,

I'm hoping some experts out there can help me. Here's the situation: The only way I could convince my dad to go on a cruise is by taking one to Alaska. He's not a cruise kind of guy, but really wants to see Alaska. So, I convinced him to take the family on a 7 day cruise leaving out of Seward. We were going to arrive a couple of days ahead of time and let him do a full day of halibut fishing out of Seward. Dad's happy. Now the problem - I went a little cruise crazy and convinced him to cancel the 7 day cruise and book a 14 day one. Everything was great, because we were originally scheduled with a full day stop in Seward. Dad was still happy as a clam. The PROBLEM- the itinerary updated to a full day stop in Anchorage - yeah, actually Anchorage, not Seward, not Whittier... Anchorage. We're scheduled to be there from 7am to 11pm - we're not stopping in Seward anymore! We are also making a short stop in Homer the day before from 10am to 6pm. I haven't broken the news to my dad yet because I'm still desperately trying to figure out a way to make halibut fishing still happen for him. Can someone PLEEEASE give me a little ray of hope? Would renting a car and driving 3 hours to Seward the day we're in Anchorage be completely impossible/crazy? Any other options? I feel like the worst daughter ever.. and a complete a-hole for taking away the carrot I dangled in front of him.
    I guess you could hope the ship gets hijacked by pirates near Seward, AK.
    No you won't make it in that time allotted. Should have just flown to Anchorage, rented a motor home, driven to Seward, went on a glacier cruise, stayed the night, went halibut fishing, drove all over AK sight seeing and fishing for a week or two, then flown home with a ton of fish. Sorry man.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

I'm i reading this right your cruise ship leaving out of Anchorage? Last i've seen there isnt no ship that docks here.

Just tell him the truth about how you deliberately deceived him to secure the 14 day cruise and that if he wants to catch halibut, he is shet out of luck. Honesty is the best policy. "Worst daughter ever" for booking a 14 day cruise for your pops? Give me (and yourself) a break. He is lucky to have you

I would rent a car and get out of Anch ASAP. The drive down to Seward is great and should make a nice day trip. Check out Seward and make some tentative plans for your halibut fishing trip next year. Go to the small boat harbor and check out the boats. Maybe see some folks coming in weighing their fish and what not. Look around for a motel for your next trip. The Holiday Inn is near the small boat harbor from what I recall and looked nice. Eat lunch at one of the restaurants overlooking the small boat harbor. Forget the name, but had windows overlooking the harbor. Best crab legs I have ever ate. After lunch, go to the Sea Life center for an hour and check things out. Neat place. Get back to Anch by 7 pm and eat at Simon & Seaforts and be sure to try the raspberry iced tea. A nice day to be had if you ask me. Lemons to lemon aide.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Homer

A half day charter may be an option in Homer, however, the 6:00 departure will be tight, especially with getting the fish taken care of. The half day charters do not go out as far and tend to go directly to the chicken holes to get the small fish (which are better eating by the way) If you call around in Homer and have enough people to split the cost of a six-pack, you may be able to charter a boat and have flexibility on the timeline. A friend and I were the only people on a six-pack a few years back and had a blast , although only caught two fish (198# and 96#). This time of year, alot of the charter guys are packing it in for the season, so you may have trouble finding one willing.

Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    I'm i reading this right your cruise ship leaving out of Anchorage? Last i've seen there isnt no ship that docks here.
    Actually, it's leaving out of Seattle (round trip) with a stop in Anchorage...not Whittier, not Seward... I know it sounds crazy, but it's true. It's apparently new for 2010. Just my luck.

I guess the best I can hope for is a 1/2 day charter when we stop in Homer, or maybe driving down to Seward and back. We also stop in Kodiak, and Ketchikan - any possibilities there? Sitka and Skagway are on the itinerary, but my brief Google search told me those were no good for Halibut.

Default when in 2010?

At least you have some time to find what you're looking for.... what dates are you traveling? How long is your stay in Kodiak? Time would be tight, but i'll bet you could grab a 1/2 day of fishing out of Homer. Will be weather dependent....

there are options available. Give us a little more detail of your scheduled stops and I'll bet you can figure something out.

You've got a whole year to plan for this, so it should be possible. Tell the cruise line you want to skip one of their stops. They'll let you get off the boat, take a side trip, and re-join the boat at its next port if they're like cruise ships in the lower 48. Then you take a plane to Homer (don't drive 250 miles from Anchorage...why kill so much time if fishing's what you want to do?) or Seward and spend a full day there and get on a halibut boat.

I don't know, it sounds like it would work.

Or go to 10th and M in Anchorage and let him browse the halibut selection.....

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    There will be a ship that is docking in Anchorage next year.

Default Lovely drive...

Below are a few pics from Anchorage to Seward....

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Will your stop in Kodiak be at least 12 hours? If so, that's where I would do the trip. Heck, to show your dad you really appreciate him, do a halibut trip in Kodiak, a combo fishing trip in Ketchikan or Sitka, and do a fly-out day trip for salmon or pike out of Anchorage. All would be completely feasible.

OK, here's our scheduled port stops (below)... Salmon fishing in addition to halibut would be great for him, too. Thanks for that suggestion!!

This might be one of our last family vacations, and also maybe the last time my dad is (physically) able to handle something like this. I really, really want to give him some good memories on this trip. I know I have plenty of time to plan, I just panicked when I realized the Anchorage vs. Seward change in the itinerary. But you all have given me a little hope that I can still make this a good trip for him!

June 3rd - Ketchikan - 7am to 5pm
    June 4th - Sitka - 8am to 5pm
    June 5th - Skagway - 7am to 9pm
    June 7th - Anchorage - 7am to 11pm
    June 8th - Homer - 10am to 6pm
    June 9th - Kodiak - 7am to 1pm
    June 11th - Juneau - 8am to 5pm

Default Anchorage Cruise Ships

I have been in Seward all summer and keep hearing about how the ships will begin starting/ending in Anchorage, with many missing Seward?

Makes me want to plan another trip to Seward next year

Default Homer Stop

The stop in Homer will be plenty of time for a 1/2 day trip. My daughter and her boyfriend did a couple of 1/2 day trips for $99 off of the spit and were very impressed. Both trips they did as well as $240 trips in Seward.

Check with the Cruise Company you are going with, the Caribbean cruises I've been on have what are called Shore Excursion Packages, and I think they would be kind of ignorant not to have one in one of the ports your will be stopping at. Just a thought.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

OK, here's our scheduled port stops (below)... Salmon fishing in addition to halibut would be great for him, too. Thanks for that suggestion!!

This might be one of our last family vacations, and also maybe the last time my dad is (physically) able to handle something like this. I really, really want to give him some good memories on this trip. I know I have plenty of time to plan, I just panicked when I realized the Anchorage vs. Seward change in the itinerary. But you all have given me a little hope that I can still make this a good trip for him!

Kings are running early June in Ketchikan and you'd have time for at least a 1/2 day charter and could have a shot at halibut also.

Good luck on getting out of this one.

When you get off of the ship in Anchorage, rent a car and drive (or fly) to Homer. This will allow you to see the Kenai Peninsula (beautiful drive) and get a full day halibut charter under your belt before meeting up with your cruise ship in Homer. I'm sure they would let you get back on the boat. What are they going to do, leave you? You paid good money for this trip. Besides, it will give you a chance to sleep in a room that is bigger than a walk-in closet for the night.

Quote Originally Posted by 9601 View Post
    What are they going to do, leave you? .
    Yep

I would be on time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast