Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: heading out on moose hunt tomorrow

Default heading out on moose hunt tomorrow

This has been a very busy month. With only having a short time to prepare for my 1st moose hunt, I want to thank this forum for all the knowledge that can be quickly obtained.
    I am fying from Houston to Anchorage on the 2nd. Then on the 3rd we will fly into Kenai. On the 4th High Adventure Air will fly us in to set up camp.I am beginning to get real excited. I just hope it stays somewhat cool to keep the skeeters at bay(wishful thinking I know). Most importanly I hope we can locate a mature animal. I plan to take many pictures and also do a little fishing.

I almost forgot, would you guys even bother buying a wold tag if you were planning to hunt in the area of 17B or 9b?

Quote Originally Posted by Travis77 View Post

I almost forgot, would you guys even bother buying a wold tag if you were planning to hunt in the area of 17B or 9b?
    Well, the wold population is a bit low in the area, so.....

A wolf tag goes for $30, right? At that price, I wouldn't go afield without one. You're not likely to see one, but that $30 is going to seem like nothing if you do see one and don't have the tag in your pocket. There are plenty of wolves, but they can be wary critters. Still....$30?...that's nothing for the chance to take a wolf.

Default Good choice

High Adventure Air are good folks; a true Alaska family operation.

Default really

Brian I have now clue what you are taking about I took 3 wolds out of there last weep.

Good luck travis and hope to see picks soon

P.S. get a wolf tag or 2 or 3 or well you get my point

They seem like good folks and they were highly recommended by several repeat customers. 10 4 on the wolf tag. I stioll can't believe how expensive just the charter service alone is. I'm sure it is that expensive for good reason. I will post after I return. Thanks again

Default Always

take tags if they are available... I lost a great opportunity for a huge sheep in the brooks range a few years ago... I didn't think I'd see any sheep. Lesson learned the hard way.

Better to have a harvest ticket than to sit and watch an animal you didn't count on seeing look at you knowing you can't shoot. Good luck on your hunt.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Thumbs down Moose hunt results

To say I was dissapointed on my first trip to Alaska is a huge understatement. I believe I will do more research on the next hunt if I return to Alaska(along with talking to referrals). I was a little sceptical on what all this hunt included besides the air taxi and for good reason. A portion of the money was suppose to go toward locating animals(flight time). I realize this can be a heated topic. We basically spent $2650 per person for air taxi in and out and a sight seeing trip. To think that this trip was $3k makes me want to laugh.
    Well, after the first half of the hunt I called High Adventure Air to see about getting relocating(because this was discussed prior to booking). At this time we were informed that the location was predetermined by them without having seen animals(we all payed 1K a piece for this service). We were told that the area was good in the years past and that was that. I gave them an opportunity to suggest relocating us, but obviously they did not have another spot to take us because it was not mentioned. At this point I could see the writting on the wall, we were played big time and the the hunt was falsely represented. After they had the opportunity to hear our complaints they did nothing to try to make the situation better. It was apparent that we were not going to see anything, much less shoot something. We asked them to get us out of here ASAP.
    I understand that this was an unguided hunt and it was very hot so shooting a 50" or 4 tined animal was probably not going to happen. I did expect to see something though. What pisses me off is that they admitted that they had not scouted this area prior to dropping us off. We were not told about this untill the fifth day of not seeing moose of any age or gender or any sign at all. It was very clear that there were no moose in the area and haven't been for some time. Come to think of it I guess you could call it a semi-guided hunt, becuse they assured us of the animals that would be pre-scouted.
    I am sure these guys are well respected in the area. But what it seems is that the out of state guys are not treated quite the same. They could give 2 **its less how dissatisfied we were while holding more than 10K. Anyway I'm over it now and hopefully others can learn from this.

The area was spectacular though. When flying west fron Soldotna through the Alaskan Mtn range to 17b, we seen two small groups of sheep and several black bears. The lake we were camping near had pike in it so I included some pics. I could not get over all the colors on the hillsides. We seen a grizzly about 350 yards from camp that was going up the opposite mtn. He was much bigger that any other mounted bear I have ever seen and that is no joke. I will say this, when I do return to Alaska I will make sure it will be cooler, the bugs were crazy bad. The head net I bought at Barneys was the best money spent other that my thermecell.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t=IMG_6557.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...skarevised.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...karevised1.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t=IMG_6510.jpg

I think you need to check it at the door dude. Sorry fo that, but this is not Texas Tower Blind deer killing hunting ( I go to Texas every year have lease west of Junction) and not moose kiiling up here. It is HUNTING. You hired a transporter and they are good folks. But wanting them to do more than what a transporter can go is not good and think they would like to keep their plane. We that live here are never sure of filling our tags. But the price you paid is not all that bad at all. And guess what. Thats just how it is being on a non resident tag. You have to live by the 4x 50 inch rule as many of us do as residents of AK. Not all places are any bull even for us. A sucessful trip is where you have a great time with family and friends, put out your best effort in the hunt and then come home safely even if the tage is still in the wallet. Just start planing for next year.

Default disagree

I disagree with the post above.

I would be pissed too. To not see a moose track would be very dissapointing.

Have you ever hunted in Alaska?

Have you ever hunted for Moose?

Why of all places did you pick 17B?

Not seeing nay sign sucks ass, eight way.

Just for comparison, I'm taking my wife out next year, at a cost of $1300/ea not to mention $100/day for a raft.

You "Lower 48" guys aren't getting shafted, hafta pay to play.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Thumbs up been there done that...

just from the piks alone, i think i could find a moose in there...
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

I've heard this same kind of report before from folks hunting that area. Seems it gets hunted pretty hard by the fly-in folks and once they put you on the ground, it's pretty much a done deal unless you make arrangements for a mid hunt move. Sorry you didn't see any critters, hopefully your next hunt will produce different results. You might consider a float hunt next time, they are definietly worth looking into to.

Arrow first hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I disagree with the post above.

I would be pissed too. To not see a moose track would be very dissapointing.
    Except that on a persons first moose hunt ever, it is possible the tracks, sign, and moose were there and he didn't see them. (no offense meant Travis)

A: Flight time costs the same even if you are from Mars
    B: That's pretty Moosey country
    C: We've had a warm moose season so they often move less by day
    D: You don't need a lot of sign for there to be moose
    E: Do you know anything about calling them?
    F: Sack up, lots of folks who know more about hunting moose than your crew did get blanked as well. One year you can think you're a genius and the next you wonder if you've lost all hunting savvy whatsoever.

Not sure what to say about your relationship with your transporter but that's just what they are, a gear hauler....if you think that trip cost a lot....call a guide service...just make sure you are sitting down and you have kevlar underwear on.

Most years in that area the weather would be cooler...I was up to my eyeballs in whitesox and no seeums on my recent hunt as well, worst I've seen.

Chalk it up to experience, start saving again...plan another trip and make the law of averages work in your favor...that's hunting.

Default Chalk it up to hunting ...

Travis:
    My first moose hunt didn't go quite as planned either, however I learned from the experience and YES it was fairly disappointing and costly. Luckily I was able to afford a few more and became quite satisfied with the results. While it has been several years, I hunted the Koyokuk River between the Kateel and up river from Three Day Slough. We filled up every time. You can't sit on an ass kicking machine and become overly soured by your one time experience. You took in some beautiful country had firends to share it with and lived to tell the story. Thanks for the pics. Hope you make it back again and I hope your party is able to achieve the kind of success that brings you back again and again! Better luck next time around.

17b was chosen not by me, but the outfitter. It was this area or 9B. Have I hunted moose before, no. That is one of the questions the outfitter asks. Kinda irrelevent if you ask me. I have been hunting long enough to know what an area looks like that has no animals in it. I realize moose are worry animals but something what weights upwards of 1500lbs is going to leave a sign that they were there. It doesn't take a 30 year moose hunting veteran to walk out to my pasture and see where my 1500lb Charlois bull has been. I tried tons of scraping as well as calling. Guys I don't want to give you the wrong impression here. I am not some fair weather hunter that has spent the last 20 years shooting 180 class whitetails with mouths full of corn out of my tower blind here in Texas. It is sad how Texas is viewed(most of it is for good reason i guess). Believe it or not all I pretty much do now is bow hunt the midwest. Of the trips I take I only shoot something about every 4-5 years. Most of those trips consist of shooting culls. This is all beside the point. I know what was agreed upon. Of course things change and that is find, but don't play stupid in person about the details that were agreed on. I also did some research on taxies and from what I have found $400-$600 hr flight time is the norm. If the flight is 1 hour each way, rounding up would only put you at $1500. So the other 1K went to there expertise and paying for the use of their "honey hole". So we are not talking about just being flown out and dropped off totally unguided.
    This money is small change to what many others pay. I'm sure I will pay much more than this in future hunts that end up unsuccessfully. I do know what the term "hunting" is about here men.
    This post was created with the intent for others like me to do their research. And that just because one area was good hunting years past, most likely it is no longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis77 View Post
    I also did some research on taxies and from what I have found $400-$600 hr flight time is the norm. If the flight is 1 hour each way, rounding up would only put you at $1500.
    Wrong. If flight time in 1 hour each way, then you should be paying for 4 hours of flight time. It's not free for them to fly their airplane back to the airport after dropping you off. I recently did my first fly-in hunt in almost a decade. Flight costs were right about what you cite above, but it was clear from the start that I was to pay for all flight time, not just when I was in the plane. The flight time to my lake was only 20 minutes, but I had to pay for 80 minutes total for the round-trip flight. Only fair.

At that, you could expect to fairly pay $2,400 for a round-trip hunt that is one hour one-way.

Default I feel for you...

but, like everybody else said, It happens. I'm going out next week and I have a thousand bucks or so in my hunt, but I'm more than prepared to get skunked. Before I leave I will remind myself that if I get to where I'm going, see some beautiful country, enjoy the time with my friends, and get home safe then I've had a successful hunt. The animals have to be secondary our you'll drive yourself nuts.
    I would like to know if maybe your agreement with the transporter covered meat hauling. I had a deal with a guy a few years back where we were charged above the going rate (+200 hr) but he said meat runs were free. Well we did require a meat run and he just shrugged it off as part of the deal. I thought that was pretty cool.
    Maybe thats where your 1000 went to. Just asking and I hope your experience doesn't discourage you from trying again. Good Luck.

Meat runs were included. Looking back on it now it really makes no sense to me to pre pay for a service that more than likely will not be needed. It definately would not be utilized by all 4 hunters. Seems like that $$ should be paid if the service is indeed neccessary. Maybe that's just me though.

This will not keep me from coming back. In fact I plan to one day go on a sheep hunt. I met several locals that were full of info in regards to moose hunting. I plan to gain as much info as possible from them.

A float trip sounds like tons of fun. From what I have heard keeping dry socks around can be a major pita. I think in future I will see what animals a non resident can hunt that is later in the month for better chance of cooler weather.

BTW I would have given my left foot for a crack at that grizzly. He was by far the most impressive animal I have ever seen in the wild.

Default Depends on the plain

Depending on the plane the cost may differ. I just got back from a fly out brown bear hunt and my plane cost me $2300( Thats a single otter rate). Thats $1150 per hour and like brian said you pay for the empty plane back to the airport. I did the hunt with out even seeing a brown bear( did shoot two black bears with my longbow). Maybe your expectations were a little high. Remember It is hunting. Something that I over looked on my hunt and I'm sure you did too is that was the week of the full moon. Animals don't like to come out and play in the day light when its hot and buggy when they can see at night. Just a thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast