Thread: wiring short??

Default wiring short??

My 99 300 Praire runs great a low speeds 10mph and under, but starts missing anything over that. If I hit the winch button it will run great at any speed, but as soon as I let of the winch button it sputters again.
    The lights work, but when I turn them off the machine shuts off too. The machine is all factory and never had the wires cut or anything.

Where should I start?

Thanks,
    Doug

the dealership?
    Semper Fi!

No machines come from the factory with a winch. They are all dealer installed accessories..or after the fact owner installed. I'm just wondering how you found that pushing the winch button makes it run better
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

It was thru trial and error. After checking fuel lines, plugs, filters, and a bunch of other crap you just start messing with anything and everything.
    The winch was installed in 99 when new, and has run great up until this past week.

I don't take anything to the "stealership".

In that case it's up to you

The in/out winch button takes power from the battery and triggers a solenoid on the winch. It should be easy to disconnect. Remove the power to it and the winch and test. This will isolate the issue to the winch, switch, or solenoid.

.....just got off the phone with my stealership owner buddy ...(unrelated call).... he says check your brake light and brake light switch. On some Yamahas, when the brakes are activated it retards the engine a bit.. like a reverse limiter on some machines. If the switch is stuck it will cause the engine to not run right past a certain RPM. The act of actuating the winch might just negate this.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default I wonder how he figured some of this out also

I would think the winch, even added on later doesn't get wired into the ignition circuits.
    Probably something really weird like a cracked frame jacking with the grounds or something.
    Snug, try hitting the reverse limiter bypass button just for kicks.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Echo View Post
    I would think the winch, even added on later doesn't get wired into the ignition circuits.
    Probably something really weird like a cracked frame jacking with the grounds or something.
    Snug, try hitting the reverse limiter bypass button just for kicks.
    Mike
    Perhaps the voltage regulator is starting to fail and causing problems. The added load of something like the lights or winch may be enough to bring it the voltage down to within spec again. At idle the stator would not be spinning very fast but at 10mph it may start to enter an over current and over voltage state. It could also be your coil or CDI box (not sure how the ignition is set up on that bike) Perhaps w/ the higher system voltage from the stator as you are excellerating it is causing the spark intensity to increase resulting in arcing to the chassis.

I would start w/ new plug wires and spark plug, then worry about the more expensive items, like voltage regulator, stator, or CDI box...

Default Thanks

I'll start with those and see what happens. I also plan on checking all the grounds to make sure everything is good.