Thread: Abel reels?

Default Abel reels?

Anyone have reviews of Abel reels. I haven't used one but would be interested to hear reviews.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default Tanks

They're built like tanks and will probably last longer and perform better too. I only have a couple of them, both Super models, and love them. I have other reels (Tibors, Solitudes, Orvis CFO's, ROSS's, Galvans), but when I'm going for my "favorites", I grab the Abels. The anodizing on them is pure beauty and really smooth drag from startup to blazing stop and go fish. I haven't fished them in really cold weather, so can't comment on their freezing up potential, but down to 30 degrees, they worked excellent.

Edit:
    I added the aluminum handles to mine, because I've had wooden handle reels crack and break before. If you really want to get a real you can customize, the Abels have almost any color combo/pattern you can think of. Hope this helps. (I don't work for Abel, just love their reels)
    Last edited by snowcamoman; 09-01-2009 at 16:01. Reason: More info

Thanks. That's a pretty good testimonial.

Default Love'em

Have several--used have several more when I lived outside that I used for saltwater work, bonefish permit, etc., but thinned the herd when I moved up here. I have beat the hell out of my main super 8 and super 4 and both fish like new. I love the drags, super smooth and infinitely adjustable.

A buddy of mine used to make fun of me and my "fancy" reels, then he put his Ross' down one weekend and played with one of my super 8's. Next thing I heard was Santa gave him a Super 6 this past year and hasn't looked back.

They are expensive, but bomb proof--so check out ebay. Very few parts and very simple design. I have purchased a couple off ebay with gooed success.

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Default Abels on Ebay and Abel QC Model

I picked up my Super 4 on Ebay for a screaming deal. Don't want to hijack this thread, but has anybody tried the Abel Super Quick Change model? Looks great, but I can't see myself getting it over a standard Super model, considering I hardly ever change up spools.

Default abels

i have a super model too and love it, i bought mine from mtn view so i was definently over charged, but i didnt even go their with the intention of buying a reel because i was loyal to my ross (that squeels now), but i picked 1 up and felt the drag and oh goodness, And i heard some1 mention cold weather fishing?

Abels are one of the only reel developers that still use a cork drag system. which means you have to oil and lube it. Ross, galvans, and sages and ect are all maintenance free and non greasable now. Some people might think of this as a convenience, when its actually a downgrade. Greasing might seam like high maintenance, I think of it as extra protection. Grease protects it from freezing and heating up for when big fish hit in cold weather. And for the guys that have the occassional drop in the water.... well grease... enough said.

btw lamsons are nice for the price aswell. dont own one, but my buddy has one and swears by them after owning ross's . Ive used it alot and man is it smooth. Like butter.

Jose
    Go Fish

Default Abel spools.

Don't forget the Abel Big Game Series spools (standard arbor) are interchangeble w/ the Super Series frames and the Super Series spools (large arbor) can be used on the Big Game Series frames. Abel sells a couple of packages w/ one frame and the two different (size arbor) spools. I use my Super 6 in AK w/ the large arbor spool and change to the Big Game 3N standard spool for boneys in Belize and Mexico. And the Abel drag is like you read about. Tibor is another reel manufacturer that has a drag system like you read about and the Everglades is a great reel for salt or fresh silvers. The Riptide would be a good reel for lower Cook Inlet kings but I can't speak from experience on that one, maybe next year. There are higher priced reels out there but both of these reel manufacturers (Abel, Tibor) are in the US and they make a product that can be passed down to son, grandson, great-granson, ... (or daughter, granddaughter, ... sorry). Phish Finder, I see a UF emblem, are you familiar w/ Tibor? They're probably more popular on the east coast (as Abel is on the west coast) and made in Florida.

Tibor is pretty popular in Florida and Central America. I don't own one but I've fished a few for tarpon. They are a bit spendy for what you are getting but they are pretty.

I have, use, and like reels made by Tibor, Galvan, Bauer, Hardy, Orvis, Ross, Hatch, Nautilus, and others. But if I was to really be serious about fishing I'd put an Abel reel on my rod.

I have them from the TRs in 1, 2, and 3 to the BG #3N A/R. Some of the other reels have drag systems that are equal, but as far as the total package, I like Abel the best. It's a combination of the drag, drag controls, smoothness, sturdiness, availability of spools, and the sound. To me, considering these criteria, the next reel brand in line would be the Hatch. When I bought my first Hatch reel I just sat in the chair that night and held that reel and listened to it.

The only downside I have for Abel reels, other than the price, is that some of the reels are a little heavy. But I've found that the weight range for a reel to cast well on a specific rod is pretty wide.

Default nice reel!

Abel reels are great - I've had one for about 6-7 years now I suppose. Used it in the salt for bones, and in AK for salmon. As someone mentioned earlier, they are built like a tank.

In all honesty, though, I leave my Abel spooled with sink tip and my Ross with my floating line, which I use more often. As great as my Abel is, it doesn't feel as light as my Ross - although I haven't weighed them to find out for sure. Mostly, I think, I prefer fishing the Ross because the Abel doesn't have a clicker when the drag is engaged....kinda a small thing I suppose, and I hear that the newer models have added this feature.

Let me stress again that my Abel is an older reel - probably heavier than those they are producing today.

Happy Hunting!