Thread: Penetration tests

Default Penetration tests

Given that we have endless discussion of what caliber is the best handgun for Alaska and what caliber has enough power/penetration for bears I did a little googling and came up with some comparable info. One of the problems is that finding a standard medium and comparing data from the same medium is needed to have any meaningful data. Comparing ballistic gel,milk jugs and phone books doesn't work. Notice that there is some rifle ammo mixed in in the first page as a reference. I think most will find some results as you would expect and some results that will shock you. For those that don't know the man behind theses tests is John Linebaugh who makes custom revolvers. He has designed some of the rounds listed also.
    The second link is a persons test with a 10mm since many people argue about the round. I think it shows some amazing penetration and reinforces for me that it has some serious potential. By the way I did not post the actual page here since it is copyrighted.
    Let the wars begin
    http://www.handloads.com/misc/lineba...s.asp?year=all
    http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/200...ne-t58263.html

Quote Originally Posted by akraven View Post
    Given that we have endless discussion of what caliber is the best handgun for Alaska and what caliber has enough power/penetration for bears I did a little googling and came up with some comparable info. One of the problems is that finding a standard medium and comparing data from the same medium is needed to have any meaningful data. Comparing ballistic gel,milk jugs and phone books doesn't work. Notice that there is some rifle ammo mixed in in the first page as a reference. I think most will find some results as you would expect and some results that will shock you. For those that don't know the man behind theses tests is John Linebaugh who makes custom revolvers. He has designed some of the rounds listed also.
    The second link is a persons test with a 10mm since many people argue about the round. I think it shows some amazing penetration and reinforces for me that it has some serious potential. By the way I did not post the actual page here since it is copyrighted.
    Let the wars begin
    http://www.handloads.com/misc/lineba...s.asp?year=all
    http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/200...ne-t58263.html
    It's not nice to shoot attorneys, even photos of them on phone books!!

BTW, as I said in the other thread, I just got a G20 SF and ordered the 200-gr HC DT ammo. I'm liking my choice.

Ooops let guess you are an atty?

Ooops let guess you are an atty?
    Yes. Just kidding though. I wouldn't mind shooting some of the bad ones (e.g., the ones who put ads of themselves on phone books). I'm one of the good kind, one of the ones who fight for, and protect, the intersts of the true victims--big businesses and banks.

I sent a friend some bullets I cast several years back to test out of his 480 ruger at the linebaugh seminar.

460 gr @ 1100 fps penetrated within 10% as deep as the best 475 and 500 linebaugh loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I sent a friend some bullets I cast several years back to test out of his 480 ruger at the linebaugh seminar.

460 gr @ 1100 fps penetrated within 10% as deep as the best 475 and 500 linebaugh loads.
    Yep Paul, I agree, that's why I don't worry about sleeping in a tent when I'm up north. I know that 480 will stop anything I'm going to run into. Jim

If you look at the penetration data they all penetrate about the same 10/41/44/480. You don't see big jumps till you get up into the 454/475/500 cartridges.

If you look at the penetration data they all penetrate about the same 10/41/44/480. You don't see big jumps till you get up into the 454/475/500 cartridges.
    I don't know about the penetration tests being discussed.

However I do know that the .44 Punch bullet will out penetrate any hard cast bullet. I've tried Cast Performance, Laser Cast and Beartooth in wet paper + hardwood media. The Punch bullet exited the test media while the lead bullets were nowhere near the last 6 inches of the media. So I don't know exactly how much further the Punch bullet will go and at $2.50 each I'm not really curious enough to find out.

I doubt this makes a bit of difference in hunting game or self defense against a bear. I been carrying 300 grain .44 hardcast for years and still do. I have no doubts about it's performance in these situations. But is was an interesting experiment.

Default the only test I did was

I fired from about 30 ft. my handloaded .454 casull 300 grain hornady xtpmagnum jhp with 30 grains of LilGun into the end of a pressure treated wooden 4x4 lengthways . and the bullet penetrated into the wood 18 1/2 inches !! shouldnt that get the job done on about anything ? I realize that it would be less in a liquid medium due to expansion , but maybe I can find a solid point as durable ! the bullet looked like it could have been reused ! Kevin
    Little bullets might expand ! But big bullets never shrink !
    When you swim with big fish try not to act like bait !