Thread: RV Friendly Riding Areas

Default RV Friendly Riding Areas

We're looking to get out and enjoy the Labor Day weekend and do some riding. Any suggestions on riding areas with a good spot to park a 38ft 5th Wheel and a couple of trucks?

We were thinking about Eureka, Petersville or somewhere around Cantwell, but I'm open to other suggestions as well. I'm still new to the ATV scene so I haven't had a chance to nail down all the prime areas yet. There is a chance we will have some little ones riding passenger so areas with mild to moderate terrain would be the best.

Thanks in advance.

Those two areas are the prime spots for you. Pick one of them and you will have a great time.

Eureka is a primo area, lots of space for a rig like that, lots of trails. Just don't forget to get a slice of pie at the roadhouse.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Knik River--just south of the bridge, large gravel bar, and access to Jim Creek trail system. (about 40 miles from Anchorage)

Sutton/Jonesville--wide open camping area in old mine pit, plenty of wooded trails and good areas for kids to ride. (about 60 miles from Anchorage)

Kings River--great shoreline camping, trails are a little more technical. Camping spaces are limited--given your large rig, I wouldn't try this one unless you can get there early. (about 65 miles from Anchorage)

Eureka--as others have said, very large camping areas, wide variety of trails above tree line. (about 135 miles from Anchorage)

Hatchers Pass (Willow side). About 15 or so miles from the Parks Hwy, several large gravel pits/pullouts. (about 100 miles from Anchorage). I wouldn't try taking a large 5th wheel up over the pass from the Palmer/Wasilla side!

Petersville Road--use Kroto Creek parking lot to camp (about 10 miles from Parks Hwy). Area is popular with hunters, and will probably be fairly crowded for the long weekend. (about 130 miles from Anchorage)

Denali Hwy--Several great camping and riding areas around the midpoint (near the Susitna River bridge). Again, a popular hunting area. (about 275 miles from Anchorage)

Sutton/Jonesville is for those that like to camp with a lot of bike noise, all day and into the night.
    Anchorage Ak

I have a 40ft 5th wheel/toy hauler and ride with folks that have little ones (6-9 years old) and we have found that either Petersville or Eureka is the best spots.

Petersville is the absolute easiest for the kids...you ride down the road going to the right of the Forks Roadhouse. You can easily travel back about 31 miles from Kroto Creek Parking Lot (approx 14 miles off the Parks Hwy)...plenty of space to camp at Kroto Creek.

Eureka is great but a little more technical for the kids with large mud holes (when it rains) on the main trails and a few areas of muskeg and mud around some of the water holes (depending on the trail you take). Additionally, there are some large, steep, hills to climb but nothing a 7 year old on a 80cc - 90cc quad couldn't handle if you have some patients. If you choose Eureka you have several camping options...

1. Camp at the Eureka Lodge and take the road-side trail to the trail-head. Be sure to stop in for the Eureka Burger!!! They have a few RV slots with electric hookups. They are located by a small pond which is sort of scenic and they are great people!!!

2. Camp at the gravel pit on the left side of the road (as you head toward Glenallen)...this is the main trail-head for the trail to Monument. Lots of potential noise from ATVs/UTVs/Trucks/Moose Buggies in this area...there is a lower portion to this gravel pit but be warned...if it rains you may find yourself camping in a pond when you come out of the camper.

3. Camp at the gravel pit a little farther up the road on the right side. This is a large gravel pit with plenty of room for 50 - 60 large RVs. We camp here because the kids can ride in the gravel pit all day long and still be in sight of mom and dad. Great for getting the kids out of your hair when it is time to relax after a long day of riding...but the kids still want to ride. Additionally, it is just a short road-side trail ride to the main trail-head mentioned above. The only down side is that cell coverage is limited at this "pit"...you will have to hunt for coverage if you need to make a call but I usually just go up by the hwy.

Your last good choice is Jim Creek...gravel bar south of the old Glenn Hwy bridge. Easy ride but you may have to figure out a way to get the kid's ATVs across the creeks (I just load them up on the back of my Rhino and ferry them across). It's an easy drive from Anchorage, Palmer, or Wasilla so always has to be on the list.

One more "little known" riding spot great for kids...Seward...6 miles north of Seward is Stony Creek RV park, off of Stony Creek Road (arguably, one of the nicest RV parks in Alaska). They have full hook-ups...including water, sewer, 50/30/20 amp electric, and cable...and you can ride ATVs from the RV park back out to the hwy and one road north to Bear Creek Road...take Bear Creek Road back a ways and you will run into a trail that goes through an "old growth" rain forest. Not a long trail but a scenic one. It is something different at least!!! If you have never been to Stony Creek RV Park you are in for a treat...all the creek-side RV spots have yards with fire pits, are 30 feet wide and at least 50 feet long. Additionally, they have a shuttle that takes you down town and brings you back if you don't want to drive. Here is a link to the web site: http://www.stoneycreekrvpark.com/

Good luck and enjoy the weekend!!!
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. We've decided to go up near Cantwell this weekend. Friends of ours are good friends with some folks that own a bunch of land and a tour company up there (I don't remember the name). They were gracious enough to let us park on their land, complete with firepit, and even offered to take us out on one of their big swamp buggies on Saturday.

AKMuddy, thanks for the tips. I have stayed at the Stoney Creek RV park and agree with you 100%, it's a great place. I didn't realize there was any riding down that way.