Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: opening morning

Default opening morning

Here is to all that could not make it out this morning.6:56 shooting time partenner and i done 7:20 with limits of widgeon and pintails .Home by 9:00 enjoying breakfast and a shower.Dog a little confused by to many feet up though. I had to play retrever with her so much for drinking coffee.Triing to figure out how to post pix that will be later .Good luck everyone

Thumbs up Good opener

Hayflats were good to me with a mixed bag - mallard, pintail, teal, and widgeon. 6:22 opener and back at the truck by 7:30 including the long walk back. Crowds were very light.

man i wish i could of made it sounds like it was a blast, ill be out there tonight!
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Default Susitna Flats Good As well

Two of us limited out in 30 mins. The wind really kept the birds flying. Lots of pintails. No geese but lots of ducks.

This am I arouse to a classic duck opener, dark, raining and cold..........in other words not the weather you take a 2 1/2 year old hunting in! Gunther and I are hopping to get out this afternoon.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Acwr

Us city folk had a fine morning as well. Lots of mallards, a few teal, a gadwall or two. Buddy Mark and I knocked down 13, came out with 12, which is a hell of a morning by our standards. We've been skunked plenty, so 3 away from a limit is fantastic. A few other folks down there. Looked and sounded like everyone was getting some action.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Started with my first bird at 6:22am and took until 9:00 to finish the limit. Today was not bad...light crowds and someone only jumped the gun by 3 minutes. I guess they couldn't wait

I ended up with 4 greenwings, 3 mallards, and a spoonaliscous. Now I won't lose sleep over worrying about shooting my first spooney of the season. hahha

Once again my lab proved her worth. There's not much chance that I would have found 3 of the 8 birds if it wasn't for her nose and drive.

Default I slept

After putting in a long 3 days working in my attics, I was to whupped to play. So went last night to watch the birds going to bed, so I know what the score is for tonight.
    Me and my MR. MAN will be out laying in wait for the big birds. At 12, he gives not a hoot about training, but still hits the water like a kid, and loves the smell of Hoppes and the clack of a shotgun action closing.
    Can't wait to watch the gray beard chasing down a Canada goose. Oooohhh baby.

Default opening morning pix

Ithink i got this pix thing figured out
    100_1903.jpg

100_1904.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
    Us city folk had a fine morning as well. Lots of mallards, a few teal, a gadwall or two.
    Interesting. I haven't hunted the CWR for years, but back in college I used to hit it pretty regularly. I only recall hitting a handful of mallards. I'd bet that 90% of my ducks in that area were widgeons with a few pintails mixed in. Congrats on a good morning!

Default opening morning

We did alright this morning, was a bit late getting out to the spot. Some one was hunting in the semi-blind I built so we went elsewhere. Took 3 widgeon, 9 green wing teal and last but not least a canvasback. All in all a good morning on duck lake.

Good luck to all on the rest of the season.

Sounds like people did ok this year. Went out this evening. Didn't get anything. I tried an new area just for the fun of it.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Goosed!!!

Birdstrike, so that was you out there ha, ha! I finally scored my first goose! Whippity Wind Carried my goose across the water! 25 min. hike later & some searching, listening I found him and took it home satisfied @ 0720 0730 show time to take the kids to school. Previous to the shooting time passed on a dozen shots. Still nothing compares to hearing and watching the whistling wings pass by. Well maybe sittin’ doing a bit of pass shooting. Geese, they are no longer the bane of my existence. Congrats to all who got out in the fun!

Gary grab the bow and tag along with me sometime.

OK Gunther and I did get out. We shot one arrow, killed one mallard and Gunther freaked out! We have been scouting for about a week now and all I've herd from him was "duck". Everything that flies, swims or floats...."Duck!" We had our spot all picked out and I thought this was going to be the best opener yet. We launched the canoe a little after 6pm, traveled about 40 yards when a shot presented itself. I'm hunting with a recurve bow and putting food on the table so I don't have any issue shooting a duck on the water. I nocked an arrow raised up on my knees and let the arrow fly. It hit just left of center of the breast and exited the rear. Before I could even drop the bow Gunther ran from the bow leaped the portaging yoke and landed in my lap! He hit me so hard it knocked me off balance and we were headed over. I instinctively rocked my hips and did a bracing sweep................with my antique bow!!!! I guided for Kayaking for many years and just reacted! Good thing I did too cause that water is cold! So now my bow and arm is soaked, my heart is pounding and Gunther is stuck to my chest like glue. I tried repeatedly to calm him but he was having none of it! Somehow I scooped up the bird and paddled back to shore with Gunther clutching to my chest and trying to climb up on my shoulders...........don't think he's going with next time.

The whole thing is really surprising, Gunther has seen hundreds of birds and bunnies harvested and yesterday it was all I could do to keep him from playing with the severed silver salmon heads. Guess the combo of canoe and harvest were just too much for the little man.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Post Opening Morning

10 birds total between my brother-in-law and I. 2 Cans, 1 Bluebill, 2 Widgeon, 4 Goldeneye and 1 Hen Mallard. Not a limit for either of us, but a great time none-the-less. Geese were flying, they just didn't cooperate. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Default it was a little slow where i was

Highlight of the day was having a fork bull walk within 20 yards of me - and having nothing on me but #3 steel.

What an awesome morning!! Just enough hunters around to keep the birds moving and not be crowded. I left the blind at 0830 with 4 Mallards, 3 Pintails and a Widgeon Great day!

Default tonight

got out in an old favorite spot w/ a friend and Mr. Man. One flock of geese came in and flared. Don't think we really spooked them, but oh well. Did get shots at 2 groups of mallards. Got one in each group. The old dog did his magic out in the Tanana. AWESOME!

got to get out for the afternoon hunt got 4, 3 teal and 1 mallard, just was great to be out on the water!
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Default opening morning

The second day was a little slower .We took it easy on the dog .Took 30 minutes today for our limits of widgeon and pintails.Few mallards flying none would decoy .Guess that is what tommorrow is .Congrades to all that got out .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast