Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: posting a picture

Default posting a picture

For those that may have been having the same problem as me with pictures being way to large to post I finally (after much searching and toying around with programs) found one that seems to be ok.
    Someone on here had suggested it to me it's called intraview.
    Here are the instructions..
    I go to FILE and open the picture i want to resize then go to IMAGE and under the image drop down menu select the resize/resample and change your size that's highlighted to 600 (because this is the largest size allowed in JPG)
    next go to FILE and click SAVE AS. be sure the box in the bottom middle is checked and that you are saving the picture as a JPEG file this will bring up a screen on the right that will allow you to adjust the detail of your picture. I've found that i need to bring mine down to 30 to make it under the 48.8 maximum file size. click save after you've changed the name so you don't overwrite your original picture. Now click on the picture (this will adjust the settings at the bottom) Now it should show you the file size and if it's under 48.8 you are ready to post. If it does not make it under just reduce the detail again and follow the same steps.

here's the detailsd from the site I downloaded intraview from.
    Justin

First of all you will need a graphic viewer/converter program. One of my favorites is IrfanView. You can click here to download it for free.
    Open your jpeg image file in IrfanView
    Next to reduce the file size you have two options:
    You can resize the dimensions of the photo i.e. decrease the (width * height) - recommended if you are emailing it to friends. If you do not want to do this, skip to step 5.
    You can lower the JPEG quality of the photo
    To reduce the dimensions in IrfanView
    Select File > Image Resize/Resample (Ctrl + R)
    Make sure the size method is set to “Resample”
    Make sure the “Preserve Aspect Ratio” option is selected and set to 100
    Now enter the width in pixels you want for the new image and click OK. (For email 1024 width is sufficient, if you want even smaller photo enter 640 for width). Height is automatically determined
    Click “OK”
    To lower the JPEG quality and save the image
    Select File > Save As (or simply press ‘S’ on your keyboard)
    Navigate to the folder where you want to save the file. Do not overwrite your existing file.
    Now from the Save as type dropdown list select JPG - JPEG Files
    Next you can set the quality, If you are not already seeing the JPEG/GIF save options dialog on the right side then select Show options dialog
    Now you can drag the quality slider to somewhere between 65 and 85 based on how much size you want to reduce
    Click Save to apply the settings and create your new image.
    Now open the file in IrfanView you just created. If you are not happy with the new image quality and file size then re-open your original image and repeat the process changing settings as needed.

Default where did yu download from???

I would like to know.....thanks

Default oopps that would have been helpful

here ya go.
    http://www.download.com/IrfanView/30...=dl&tag=button
    looks like it's not going to make a link so copy and paste this onto your address bar.
    Good luck
    Justin

Smile Thanks..

let me see if I got it right....my airboat:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Right on!

Nice boat. Those things always look like alot of fun.
    Justin

Test test test
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone."
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

more testing
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone."
    The KeenEye MD

Default pic to large

when I try the 600 x400 it say it's to big. It says my KB exceeds the limit. what can I do?

Go smaller.

The 600 x 400 is the pixel count... 240,000 or about a 1/4 megapixels.

Depending on the quality of the camera/image, the same pixel count may have drastically different file sizes in terms of actual bytes of data. Same 600 x 400 pixels may be anywhere from 30-100 KB in file size.

FYI, the pic of my little one is 600 x 442 pixels, but only about 40 KB file size.

Look at the file size when you get the "too big" error. That will give you an idea of how much smaller to go with the re-sizing step.
    The KeenEye MD

Your file of 225.1 KB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 19.5 KB for this filetype. This was a 320. Is there anything else I can do? It seems 19.5 is small

Exclamation Max image size

I have just increased the max jpg size to 50 kb. This will help.

My preference is that people use offsite photo locations. This will allow many images to be posted without drawing down resources here.

I recognize that some may not be able to use other resources, so we have made it possible to upload images to the forum itself. So far it isn't a space issue, but we'll keep an eye on it.

David

Quote Originally Posted by webmaster

My preference is that people use offsite photo locations. This will allow many images to be posted without drawing down resources here.

David
    David

I tried using the [img][/img] code to post a pic from a remote site, but instead of the pic coming up in the post, it comes up with only a URL directing you to the remote site. You must click the URL to see the pic.

If I upload the pic to your site, then it can be posted as an attachment and shows up as an actual picture in the post.
    The KeenEye MD

OK never mind...

I think I just figured out what this button is for.
    The KeenEye MD

I still can't get it to work. It say it's still to big by 19kb

Question There's things I don't yet understand...

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician
    David

I tried using the [img][/img] code to post a pic from a remote site, but instead of the pic coming up in the post, it comes up with only a URL directing you to the remote site. You must click the URL to see the pic.

If I upload the pic to your site, then it can be posted as an attachment and shows up as an actual picture in the post.
    It's not clear to me why this works for some and not for others. Many people have posted pictures from photobucket or other websites and they show up as images. Others post images and they show up as hyperlinks.

I don't understand why it works that way yet.

David

Default Test

[IMG]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SwC1HV0W4EOeHRoXi6CelS9wyj797ETXOXqhuA3syH9ogWTVQ Od8swAH0l3aj1le5hTS4e1R0Zr0WCQfnEvBkPn0s7!uGFi5pY2 *r1Ul7AKsByG082QldQ/IMG_1377.bmp?dc=4675575884612399826[/IMG]

Default :(

I can not win here
    I tried to use a url and when I pasted it it showed my pic in the window but when I clicked post just the address url came up?

I think I just figured out what this button is for.
    Look for that "insert image" button near the upper right hand corner of the dialog box where you type in your posts/replies.

Copy the URL where the image resides, click the "insert image" button, and paste the URL when prompted.

Voila!

Pic should show up just like that!
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician
    Look for that "insert image" button near the upper right hand corner of the dialog box where you type in your posts/replies.

Copy the URL where the image resides, click the "insert image" button, and paste the URL when prompted.

Voila!

Pic should show up just like that!

I did that. It show it in this box, but when I click on post it just show the url address

I noticed that URL you posted in one of your earlier posts is an MSN group. I believe MSN security features prevent the photo from being shared when using Internet Explorer as your browser.

I have posted pics from my MSN group onto other websites but the pics could not be viewed by anybody using IE (including me), but when using NetScape to view the exact same post, the pic showed up just fine.

Go figure...
    The KeenEye MD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast