Thread: targeting lynx

Default targeting lynx

I want to target Lynx this year and avoid incidental catch. I'm thinking of using bair or scent on deadfall/widow maker trees and snaring along the log hoping to avoid fox/coyote (I don't think they often climb trees). I'm also thinking smaller game would go right thru the snare. Any insight on other methods to target cats or what scent/lures to go with?

Thanks

Default lynx

When targeting lynx you do not have to cover your trap. The fact that you don't cover your trap should keep the fox away. A very popular way of doing it is making a cubby out of dried logs and branches. Put your bait in the cubby and set your trap near the entrance, inside, the cubby. If you don't cover it the fox should not step on it. Be sure you use dried wood to make your cubby, if you use green, or pine needles you will have problems with bunnies in your traps.

Hopefully Trailblazersteve will chime in on this.

Default Targeting Lynx

For snares, just set the snares a little farther off the ground to miss the fox. Maybe 10 inches. You will still catch an occasional fox and most coyotes. The cubby set mentioned by fisherman is the all around best lynx set. And you will catch very few fox and coyotes in that set even if you do cover your traps. You will catch a passing wolverine however, so use strong traps and anchors.

I think you will get more lynx by trapping normally than by setting only unusual sets. Yes, lynx do climb trees, but I think a lot of them will refuse to go up after bait.

If you catch incidental coyotes and foxes, just find a trapping buddy to give them to. I think most trappers will be happy to take them off your hands.

Default baits?

What do you guys use for bait with these cubbys? Also, I'm looking at targeting fox, coyote and marten myself. What baits work the best for these critters?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default rabbit and grouse

I think those are the most popular to use. Visual attractors are commonly used for cats as well. You should also look into some good lure.

Default I like the pie plate

For cats a good visual attractor, Aluminum pie pan, CD, bird wing or stove top burner liners. I am a Beaver meat guy when it comes to bait, and castor makes great lure for everything. Gusto and GHII have been good call lures. Lynx love the smell of Beaver, Porcupines and marmots also have castors and work well for bait.

Build cubby's for lynx and make them out of dead material to keep the rabbits out.I too prefer beaver meat for lynx but it's the prefered bait for EVERYTHING so you can't go wrong.I also use half a rabbit or a breasted duck or grouse.Any strong smelling lure either with caster or skunk will bring cats to your cubby.I sometimes hang wings for a attractor nearby but not always.I make my cubby's big,with the door being 3' by 4'.Use a #3 or larger trap and place it just inside the cubby.You don't need to cover the trap but you can if it make you sleep better.Just use a crinkled up piece of wax paper on the ground,bed your trap,and then fold the paper over your trap and lightly cover with snow.I also like to place guide sticks which are pencil sized sticks on both sides and in front of your trap.Really make the cat commit to placing his paw on the pan of your trap.The neat thing about lynx is that they don't fight a trap at all when caught but since they have such big feet you need a trap with a large jaw spread.I have pics of my cubby's but they are at work.I'll post some in a few days.

Akmud,pm me if you need any help.

Default Lynx

yea, what they said...........

You can also use carcasses from animals you caught for bait. Lynx meat seems especially attractive. I doubt any furbearer will pass it up.
    Mud..........just about any foodsmell will attract furbearers. Did you save your T-day turkey bones/scraps? Feathers are excellent visual attractors also.
    I like beaver houses for lynx sets if possible. Even old unoccupied houses. Dig a hole up on the side of the house and leave a shelf for the trap. The lynx just HAS to step up there to look into the hole (which you put bait/lure in). He'll step on your trap no problem..........ytes and fox rarely will. Here's a pic of one I used last year:

Use a large spruce/willow as a drag in there isn't anything solid to attach to on the house.

For snaring lynx, I prefer a 9 in. dia. loop set 11 in. off the ground. (the bottom of the loop is 11 in off) That height will keep fox and wolverine out of your snare and the 9 in. loop wil deter some yotes. You can really fence the trail your snaring for lynx. They don't mind being crowded into a narrow spot in the trail, thus are pretty easy to snare. Fencing also helps deter yotes/fox.
    Here's a ditch I snowshoed thru and fenced and snared for lynx. Lynx really appreciate us making trails for them and thank us by often gladly walking right down the trail we make.

Just about any set you make for lynx, I mean with a trap, can possibly catch wolverine, so you need stout traps at your lynx set. Cats are sneakers. They don't trot down a trail, they *****foot along. You don't need heavy snare cable for them, 1/16th or 5/64th is plenty, but when using that size you need to do what you can to keep wolverine out of the snare.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default trap size

So, are my Victor 1 1/2 (4" spread) big enough, or should I go shopping? Great information, thanks.

Default size does count

3's are kinda minimum for cats I would say the higher up the leg you can grab the better off you are, furbuyers don't buy toes
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

The best hold for a foot trap is on the pad of the paw. Traps that grip above the wrist increase the risk of breaking the bone. Broken bones generally puncture skin and muscle, this risking the animal tearing or breaking out of the trap. I've noticed that lynx will climb when caught in a trap, if they have the spot to do so. I shortened the chains on my traps cuz I had a couple lynx climb a few feet and jump back out. They broke their leg and ended up with several punctures in the skin. Even tho lynx don't fight that hard, they can damage their foot/leg. Add a couple swivels to your chain.
    I wouldn't recommend a 1 and 1/2. 3s and 4s, mb-650s, something with a 6 in. or close jaw spread. Just about any set you make for lynx has the potential to catch wolverine, so strong traps would be in order.

The current issue of Fur-Fish-Game magazine has a good article (with pictures) on lynx trapping. I suggest trappers subscribe to it, but it's also often available on newstands.

Default cats

I've cought a lot of cats and never purposely tried to catch them that low. And as for breaking bones thats why I use off set jaws then laminate them to cover more area. I have not lost any to wring outs but I have had a few toes from using too small of traps, in my rookie years
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ