Thread: Choke tube and steel shot?

Default Choke tube and steel shot?

Just wondering...
    I have an 870 12ga and I'm going to throw some steel at some ducks and geese this week. My full choke says it is steel rated, but my Imp Cyl and Mod don't. Will I ruin them shooting a couple of boxes through them this season? I know about pulling the chokes and cleaning and lubing the threads before I shoot, just wondering if they will be ok.

Thanks,

Mountaintrekker

If not rated for steel I wouldn't use them. Your full steel rated tube is probably a 30 points choke which is the old lead Imp.mod.

I have my best luck shooting ducks with improved cylinder with steel shot. In the past, when lead was legal for duck hunting, I used modifed or full choke. Try the improved cylinder choke with steel shot 2's or BB's. I really like this combination for ducks.

Good luck hunting.

FYI,
    The hunt went great! Got my limit on cranes and dark geese, even managed to pick up a few mallards and some teal. IMPCYL with BB steel was all I used. Choke seems unaffected and removed as easily as it went in.

Thanks to all!

Mountaintrekker

I'm glad to hear that your hunt went well. I shot my limit of ducks on opening morning within 2 hours. For a 12 gauge, a load of BB's through an improved cylinder choke is tuff to beat.