Thread: My RCBS ChargeMaster Died!

Default My RCBS ChargeMaster Died!

Yup,

I wanted to throw loads of 76 grains H-414, and so after set-up, warm-up and calibration: when I pressed "7", it returned an "8". Attempting to see if this was a fluke, I tried that three times. Same-same each time.

Began going through the keypad and discovered numbers returning different values.

Called RCBS and they told me, "it is out of warranty, so it'll cost you $45 plus postage to get it repaired."

This is a real bummer, because I have only used this thing 6-7 times. So it looks like I have to drop roughly $100 for a fix. Amazing. How can a piece of hardware break like this? I could see it if I had used the thing a few thousand times but....oh well. It's only money right?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Bummer

It's too bad you didn't get the extended warranty. ?????

Will it fit a flat rate box? (12x12x5.5)

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Why not?

Sorry to hear about your problem. So far my RCBS 750 scale is okay though not quite as consistent as it used to be. But, it is a mechanical/electronic device. Devices break. Wonder where it is made.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    It's too bad you didn't get the extended warranty. ?????

Will it fit a flat rate box? (12x12x5.5)

Smitty of the North
    I dunno, will have to measure the thing.

Mauserboy, ya, I guess.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

I had the exact same thing happen to my Chargemaster. If I pushed the keys often enough, occassionally it would return the right number. I eventually sold it for $40 I think on this site. I think the person who bought it was experienced in electronics and was able to fix it.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I can recommend the Lyman DSP III. If I was in your shoes I think I would send that RCBS unit off to New Dumpsterville and just go by the Lyman
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    I can recommend the Lyman DSP III. If I was in your shoes I think I would send that RCBS unit off to New Dumpsterville and just go by the Lyman
    LOL! Tell you what: I'll get it fixed, and if it dies again, or starts throwing weird loads, then I'll try the Lyman.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Nitroman… ignore my last bit of advice! Seems I must have hexed myself as my Lyman DSPIII started acting up yesterday!
    I will tear it down and see what the deal is, but is seems like it has some poweder or something in the discharge tube bearings as it is bogging down and wont trickle now… dang! And it was working perfectly for almost 2 years now…
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    Nitroman… ignore my last bit of advice! Seems I must have hexed myself as my Lyman DSPIII started acting up yesterday!
    I will tear it down and see what the deal is, but is seems like it has some poweder or something in the discharge tube bearings as it is bogging down and wont trickle now… dang! And it was working perfectly for almost 2 years now…
    You forgot to knock on wood.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Yup,

I wanted to throw loads of 76 grains H-414, and so after set-up, warm-up and calibration: when I pressed "7", it returned an "8". Attempting to see if this was a fluke, I tried that three times. Same-same each time.

Began going through the keypad and discovered numbers returning different values.

Called RCBS and they told me, "it is out of warranty, so it'll cost you $45 plus postage to get it repaired."

This is a real bummer, because I have only used this thing 6-7 times. So it looks like I have to drop roughly $100 for a fix. Amazing. How can a piece of hardware break like this? I could see it if I had used the thing a few thousand times but....oh well. It's only money right?

you know i find that very surprising of RCBS...

last summer i orderd the pins for my hand primer and small primer holder..that were lost in shipping they told me it was under warrenty. even though i bought it off Ebay....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Yup, you can't fault their commitment to service. I had almost the same situation: bought their powder measure off eBay, needed the micrometer to meter powder more accurately, they just sent me one. Can't beat that!

Seems I have heard this before about RCBS electronic scales and powder measures. Actually I hear it all too often. I only have an RCBS Charge Master 750. I am now on my third one. Within a year of purchase the other two wouldn't maintain their zero setting. RCBS replaced it each time and so far my third 750 has been working for a couple of years. I have just about lost faith in electronic scales and when this 750 fails again I'll be going back to my balance beam which I still use for back up anyway. I can only imagine some of the troubles the complete measure system could have. If you have an electronic scale and measure that is working well I wish you nothing but good fortune. For me, I've heard far to many horror stories to invest any more money in them regardless of brand. I'm not sure about the powder measure but my 750 Charge Master is made in China.

Dan

As a follow-on to my last post… I found that my Lyman DSPIII has some powder residue on the bearing surfaces of the discharge tube, causing it to bog down and not trickle properly. I Q-tip with some hoppies took care of it, and it is now working great. That said, I don’t know now, if I would whole heartedly recommend the Lyman over the RCBS any more… but it did work flawlessly for more than 2 years before this event, and is totally accurate as far as the electronic scale is concerned.

I'll have to see how mine works now, it came back with a new keypad and new calibrations weights. So.....