Thread: Shipping bear hide and skull out of Anchorage

Default Shipping bear hide and skull out of Anchorage

If all goes right I will be flying into Merrill Field in a couple of weeks with a brown bear hide and skull. Would like to know what others have done to have their trophy sealed and shipped. I have seen expediters listed in Anchorage. Are they the best way to go?

Does it take much time to get the hide and skull sealed at the ADF&G office in Anchorage?

Where can one get the appropriate shipping boxes (wet box?) and who will ship them if they are not tanned or the skull has not been steam cleaned?

I have 2 1/2 hours or so between flights in Anchorage so time would be tight. If I tag out early I would have a full day in Anchorage to get this done.

Getting them sealed at Fish and Game is not a problem, as long as they are open.

333 Raspberry Road
    Anchorage, AK 99518-1599
    (907) 267-2257 phone

Some of the taxidermists also seal, Knight's Taxidermy on Arctic comes immediately to mind.
    He is also an expiditor. 20 minutes at most from the airport.
    http://www.knightstaxidermy.com/
    Biggest problem you'll have is a suitable container big enought to handle a brown bear hide and skull. You will be overweight as checked bagage. Alaska Air will take it but there are restrictions: http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/car...ated-Items.asp
    Taking it as checked baggage can be done but you have to insure its in a leak proof box.

Thanks Bill- What is normally used for a contained to ship a bear hide that Fedex will take. I assume that the container would be too big for the airlines other than Alaska Air to take.

The biggest challenge, in my opinion, is getting the hide cleaned and salted before shipping. The better you do it the lighter it will be, the less chance of any spoilage and less problem shipping. That's going to be a lot of work in the field. I would give FedEx a call and ask direct. I've seen them shipped in Action Packers. I've also seen them shipped in plastic lined boxes. Remember though, you need paperwork to ship a unprocessed hide out of the state. Fish and Game has more information and shipping tags to put on the package.
    You might give Russ a call and ask what it would cost to have them prep everything and ship it. It might be the way to go if you get it late in the hunt and run out of time.

Sounds like its is worth having an expediter meet me at the airport and take care of hte details, making sure that everything is ok with the hide, cleaning the skull, taking care of all of the paperwork involved. I would hate to have a problem with my trophies and be 5000 miles away.