Thread: repairing a canoe on a river?

Default repairing a canoe on a river?

Anyone ever have to repair a hole in their freighter on the side of a river?I am wondering if I should carry some sort of repair kit for my Scott HB freighter while out on river trips.Any tips on how to repair a hole in a fiberglass freighter

thanks

Default Canoe repair

There is a product that I used to repair roof leaks in an old RV. It is called Eternabond and it is the stickiest stuff I've ever seen. It might be a good thing to have some in a repair kit. I ordered mine but Mobile Trailer Supply might have it or something similar. There is also aluminum tape that might work with a backing of some sort. Both would be temporary repairs of course.

Get some "splash zone" epoxy from z-spar. Heres a link http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/26256-...-coatings.html

Pretty good stuff for repairing holes. It goes on wet, you can even apply it underwater.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

I have used marine tex on fibreglass and aluminum, and it works good.
    http://www.marinetex.com/

Duct tape or pig puddy.
    Tim

Once on a canoe trip in N. Ontario in the early 70s some guys from the "bush" that were with us repaired a small smash in a fiberglass canoe with pine sap cooked with some sort of wood fiber. They hammered the wood fiber out of sticks. It took an evening to collect the sap, cook, mix and apply but it worked for the remaining days of the trip.

I have made spot repairs on many things using the fiberglass mesh drywall tape and 2 part epoxy, it's quick and easy, but rather permanent which might not be a good thing. The upside of bringing epoxy and drywall tape is you can use the same to fix paddles.

There's probably modern conventional materials that work better, thought I'd throw these ideas out there.

I've talked to a guy who did river-side repairs on a composite canoe using Gorilla Tape. He said it worked so well he left it in place for more trips.

Default repair of a canoe

what ever you use for repair, keep it small an light an cheep that way you can afford to get new every year, as new always works better than ond stuff that is all dried out an brittle, you just want it to last till you get back, then take the time an do it up correctly, it looks like all the suggestions will do the job very well on the river

SID

I've used the aluminum tape that claims to go on wet (I applied it dry). It has extra thick and gooey adhesive. Easy to carry, easy to use. Got it at Lowes or HD.

It did not leak at all. I did exercise care to keep from hitting any rocks near the repair, I'm sure one well placed rock would have punched a hole in it.

Marine tex and fiberglass drywall tape. Even fixes airplane floats
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Vinal raft material from nrs web.....with an appropriate fast action glue. Clifton adhesive works ok but takes a bit of time. It's a tough fix for any canoe. It's something that can be applied both to the outer and inner hull damage. It'll last long enough to get you home where you can properly repair the canoe with matching materials or whatever the manufacturer recommends.