Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whisperlite problem???

Default Whisperlite problem???

I just got back from a trip up on the Sag for 2 weeks. An awesome time! Ended up having to use my MSR (it was the back up stove) quite a few times. The first time I tried to fire it up (I had never used it) I almost burnt the tent down (not cool), but got it out before any damage done! Anyway, I know you have to *pre heat* the burner...I would pump up the cylinder, turn the valve open about 1/4 inch for a few seconds, and fuel spills all over the ground (5-8 drops). So I would drop a match on the ground and let the flames warm the burner...then the burner comes on great and boils water in just minutes. Is this the *normal* way to use one of these? The wind screen works great, just kind of disturbing to have to lay fuel on the ground to pre heat
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I open the valve until the tray beneath the burner gets wet. Close valve and light. I may have to crack the valve another time or two to adequately warm the fuel tube. I can easily do it before the flame goes out. No fuel goes onto the ground.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

agreed just enough to wet the wick and pan... she does flame a bit while warming up... but just as it starts to burn out open the valve and she will go like it is supposed to... i have never had it go on the ground before... that would be cause for multi millon$$$ law suits where we go....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Not the Whisperlite...

at all. Priming liquid fuel stoves is much different esp for anyone used to cannister gas stoves. I watched someone recently light a Whisperlite under a Kelty Sunshade. The stove was up on a foldup table under the Kelty, a good idea because of the wind, but not-so-good for other reasons. The tarp material is more translucent than I realized before . Yes, the flames started coming up a foot or two from the stove and I could see through the Kelty just fine. This seems to me to happen easier if you don't crank the valve back down or off-as you now know, but a point worth sharing

After using cannister backpackers only (MSR Superfly and Pocket Rocket) for years, I found the Whisperlite has been a reliable, versatile (esp the multifuel, Internationale version) stove for others and a trouble-free workhorse for us on a recent float trip. Mr. Pid and Vince offer excellent advice re: how best to light this stove.

That would be an awkward moment after a tent catches afire and your buddies returned: "uh, fellas, I got some bad news".

Good point.

You can use fire paste to warm up the stove instead of preheating with some fuel if you like. Just put an inch or so of fire paste in the tray beneath the burner and let it burn to heat up the vaporizer element. You can buy a tube of fire paste at fred meyer for a few bucks. 1 tube would last you a long long time, and in extreme cold fire paste works much better than preheating with liquid fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post

and fuel spills all over the ground (5-8 drops):

This is for sure where the problem is. You fill the bowl partially, but not so much that fuel spills over. Also, keep in mind, you don't need to preheat the "burner", just the small tube. Something to keep in mind when the wind is blowing and often I rotate the stove to ensure the flame is directly on the tube. I had some similar frustrations as you with my stove when I started using it. With proper preheating, this stove is a champ. But it is easy to mess this up when you first start using them. It is by far the #1 complaint of newer users. Below is some great info on using and maintaining these stoves....

http://therucksack.tripod.com/rations.htm

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I am only turning it on for about 2-3 seconds, and just a tiny crack at that. Nothing seems to go onto the burner, just drips on the ground A lit match and the ground burns for about 30 seconds, heating the burner plate. Works, but it seems dangerous way to start a stove. Once started, it works fantastic though...will be a love hate issue I guess.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

At the risk of looking stupid, I must ask. Are you watching the quarter sized 1 cm deep bowl that is under the stove? This small bowl is where the fuel goes when your open the fuel valve up. You can see it fill the bowl as you do this. Just fill it half full and stop the valve. One final thought, be sure the bowl is tight. This is the area you can loosen the stove and replace/clean jets. If it is unscrewed, perhaps that would explain your problems.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    At the risk of looking stupid, I must ask. Are you watching the quarter sized 1 cm deep bowl that is under the stove? This small bowl is where the fuel goes when your open the fuel valve up. You can see it fill the bowl as you do this. Just fill it half full and stop the valve. One final thought, be sure the bowl is tight. This is the area you can loosen the stove and replace/clean jets. If it is unscrewed, perhaps that would explain your problems.
    I bought this stove used. It does not have a bowl on the bottom. In fact the first time I started it up the whole burner hose came apart when I tossed the unit away from the tent when it flared up. It all went back together fine, but there is no bowl beneath it. See pics...is there something missing???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    I guess maybe REI or Outdoor Warehouse may have this part? Looks like that will make a big difference I love this forum, it can teach one a whole lot

You got to be kidding? Ha ha... Glad you figured it out. I know you to be a very smart fellow and could not figure out why you were having trouble. Easy to see why now

I suggest trashing this stove and picking up a brand new one. Safety first man. I am sure you will enjoy your next stove better

Another thought, have someone familiar with the stove put eyes and hands on it. Then order the parts from MSR directly. They are awesome folks to deal with. Be sure the jet is visualized as well. Determine which jet is in the stove currently. At htis point, there is not telling. You need a pan and a wick for sure. Maybe a new jet. Perhaps something else is missing. Proceed with caution.

If you buy a new stove, check Spadout, Moosejaw, Backcountrygear, REI, Campmor, etc.. and you might find one on sale somewhere.

I just called MSR directly and told them of my problem. I asked them where I could buy this part as I bought this stove used. They would have nothing to do with that and instead, they are mailing me the part today at 100% THEIR expense. Wow, what a company! I love the little stove, I bet I will love it even more with all the parts attached!

Good to hear man. I am loyal to MSR myself. Good folks to deal with, time after time.

Default Aha!

Intrigue... suspense... drama... and a happy ending!
    Good work, guys.

I was a fan and loyal customer of MSR before I heard that. Wow, sending you the replacement part for free! That is above and beyond.

I was part of a test for a prototype msr stove that was self contained with it's fuel source: DIESEL. It had a tri-wicking device that brought the fuel up to the jet. after this stove pre-heated for a couple minutes.....it sounded like a jet engine! It was a decent stove but had leaking issues......I don't like the smell of diesel all over my equipment. Like the rest of you fine fellows.....I'm pretty partial to MSR too. I too use the whisperlite internationale and the pocket rocket. Although my buddy's "raptor" had electronic ignition and stronger double hinged legs that were twice as thick as the little riveted sheet metal legs on my pocket rocket........it's never failed me.

I've burned diesel in my Whisperlite International. Doesn't work great, but it gets the job done. Diesel isn't far from kerosene. I've talked to guys that have used the same stove with Av-gas, unleaded, and Jet A fuels
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Yeah, they burn many types of fuel (white gas, kerosene, diesel and unleaded auto fuel). White gas is preferred as it burns clean. Also, if using different fuels, you need to use the appropriate jet. Easy to switch out, but something to be sure to do if using alternative fuels.

Below is some info from the owners manual...

The WhisperLite Internationale™ burns a variety of fuels by using two interchangeable Jets.

1. The IG Jet is used for White Gas and Unleaded Auto Gas. This Jet is preinstalled in your stove.

2. The K Jet is for Kerosene and Diesel. This Jet is included in the parts kit with your stove.

Well I got my replacement part in the mail yesterday. I put the bowl on and tried it out. Much better and makes a lot more sense than letting the fuel drop on the ground. I think I am going to like this little stove...I know I like the service provided by MSR! Great folks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast