Thread: seven pin sights

Default seven pin sights

I currently shoot five pins, 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 yards. I'm thinking of changing to seven pins to fill in gaps at 45 and 55 yards. How do you 7 pin guys/gals have yours set up.

Thanks

same as yours but I have a 70 yard pin. I just have a mental note for each pin. IE brake point my 20 yard pin is good up to 28 yards.

I have tried the 45 and 55 yards pin but when you have to raise the bow quick and fire. The odd number pin can confuse you. I had a caribou came behind from a mound and surprised me. I had a quick shot I raised and aimed my 50 yard pin and fired. It fell short and I could not figure out what went wrong until I realized My 50 was a green pin and not a red one. The red one was my 45. A brain fart but problem solved very quick I removed both 45 and 55.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Seven Pins??

I can't imagine using seven pins. The most I have ever had was four (10-40). I used one for out to 30 yards back in New York. I now only have one and use a Cobra Easyslide. You just shoot at 20, mark the slide and continue as far as you want to go. I have it set up now for out to 60 yards. If you are in a treestand situation (3 weeks away) I set it for 27 and am good from zero to 35 yards on a 4" kill zone.

I think your going to clutter up your site window too much.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I also cannot understand the use of 7 pins. I shoot a lot of target archery using my 5 pin Spot Hogg and gapping between your 40 and 50 becomes second nature. Just takes a bit of practice.

I have the Spot Hogg SDP sight. I have it set up for 20-80 yards. I only take shots out to 50 for hunting but use the 60, 70, and 80 yard pins for practice. After shooting at 80 yards, 50 seems like a chip shot. It's also nice to have the pins there in case (I haven't yet) I have to take a long shot at a wounded animal to put him down.

(averageguy ) do you come from the lower forty eights thats were i come from, It is only go if you are shooting 3D targets and the shoots up here is not as good as down south, how fast is your bow shooting .I know my pins is 20-30 yrs for the first and the 40-50 yrs for the second and 60-70 for the third.

Default alaskan

I'm up in Alaska. I shoot alot around my house, I have fifteen targets range style around my place so I'm a little bit of a control freak as to where I hit. Just thinking an extra couple of pins would be nice for shooting out farther with greater consistancy. I shoot a fairly quick Diamond Victory at 60lbs. No significant drop until out past 30 yards. I've got an basic Tru-Glo five pin that I'm thinking up upgrading to a Spot-Hogg.

Default Cobra Easy Slide

Averageguy: Try and take a look at the Cobra Easyslide. One pin, you can easily make marks out until you run out of the tape bar. For hunting I leave it at 27 yards and am good from 10-32 with a 4" kill zone (self imposed 4", I don't hunt anything that small) For caribou on the slope when you range find a bou you can easily dial it in for the yardage.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Cool 7 pins holy cow!

I guess everyone is a little different when deciding on how many pins they want to use. I think 7 pins is way too many, If you are going to shoot at an animal at over 70 yards you might as well get a rifle. I have been to many 3d shoots where the farthest range on targets seldom went over 70 yards. I would say about 90% of the people I see shooting an arrow at a 70 yard target are not very confident about there ability to hit the target. That is a long shot with a bow. I have never used more than 4 pins but I try to stay with in the 20/30/40 yard range, I feel totally confident at this range. I think I would get really confused with all those pins.

Default I just use 5

I shoot a Hoyt Trykon with a 5 pin copper john sight. I set the pins at 20 40 60 80 100. I gap shoot at the odd yardages. Works for me.

Gap shooting is a great tech. when you have master it. It helps me out allot.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Man alive, 100??? shew.

Back...woo, WAY back when I shot wheels I had 4 also, 20 30 40 and 50 though I wouldn't and still wont shoot game at more then 30 regardless of size.

I do notice people at shoots both back in Mn/Wi and here in Fairbanks and Anchorage where people have the tendancy to screw up and use the wrong pin. Not sure if you're using it for hunting or not and I'm sure you're more then capable, but I'd think the extra pins in a push situation (meaning get to full draw, get your pin on and release relatively fast) you could easily mess it up?

Smile

I shoot a Bowtech Tribute 80# limbs. I use the Spot Hogg with 5 pins. My first pin Is Sighted in for 30 yards. It works for 30 yards and anything closer. My other pins go out to 70 yards. For hunting Caribou it is a plus. Just make sure you practice at the longer distances a lot so there is no question when you have to make the shot.