Thread: Read the regs!

Default Read the regs!

READ THE REGULATIONS.
    It does not matter what someone at the front desk of a ADF&G office; a license vendor or in some cases what one believes an enforcement officer says in response to a question; the bottom line is what the REGULATIONS state.
    Not certain about the answer received? Ask to speak with the area biologist at ADF&G or either the sergeant or lieutenant at wildlife enforcement.
    When the question is asked have the regulations in hand so the officer or area biologist know specifically what the inquiry is about.
    The "bottom" line is the hunter is the one held RESPONSIBLE.
    JOE (AK)

Default get it in writing

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    READ THE REGULATIONS.

Not certain about the answer received? Ask to speak with the area biologist at ADF&G or either the sergeant or lieutenant at wildlife enforcement.
    JOE (AK)
    I disagree slightly. Email your specific question(s) and save your written reply. Ultimately the judge is the check and balance when dealing with the law. I've contacted ADF&G a couple of times by email and have had great results with them getting back to me with a detailed explaination in a timely manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    I disagree slightly. Email your specific question(s) and save your written reply. Ultimately the judge is the check and balance when dealing with the law. I've contacted ADF&G a couple of times by email and have had great results with them getting back to me with a detailed explaination in a timely manner.
    Great idea!
    Thanks - (even if you win - your lawyer will also) - again, certainly a great idea.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

READ THE REGULATIONS.
    It does not matter what someone at the front desk of a ADF&G office; a license vendor or in some cases what one believes an enforcement officer says in response to a question; the bottom line is what the REGULATIONS state.
    When the question is asked have the regulations in hand so the officer or area biologist know specifically what the inquiry is about.
    The "bottom" line is the hunter is the one held RESPONSIBLE.
    JOE (AK)

NOT ONLY READ THEM>>>

DO NOT TRY TO READ INTO THEM!!

holy crap there is more trying to beat the regs then understand them lately...

as for calling F&G...
    emails are ignored. for the most part...

the young guys and gals at the front desk are college interns... most don't know squat and are repeating what the guy in front of you told them.... ( trust me i do it all the time... explain to the staff the regs that is...)

if you have serious questions... CALL THE enforcement officer in that AREA...

HE is the really only one that knows that law the HE writes citations for...

the BIO.. sets the tags and limits..he MAY not know the DNR side of access or exact boundries... ( been there a time or to also)

when dealing in or near Federal areas...

GUESS WHAT.. you are calling DNR and US F&G too... oh boy DO NOT leave the fed questions up to the state or visa versa... YOU WILL get SCREWED!!....

Joe is 100% CORRECT.. you are the only ONE RESPONCIBLE... to know the book inside and out...

and that Troopers book? LOL it is 130 times thicker then yours...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I not only read and re-read them, I always take them into the field.

Forget exactly what it was you read .... look it up in camp.

Always take a copy of the regs with you into the field !

If nothing else, you can use them to start a fire .

Also, keep in mind that the booklet that is published each year is only an excerpt of the actual regs. Not everything is covered in that booklet. Here's an example. The booklet says that a resident is someone who has lived in the state for 12 consecutive months. One of my friends got cited because he bought a resident license and hadn't been in the state for 365 days. He got to Alaska on Dec 26th and the following December he bought a license on the first, it wasn't a full 365 days. If you have any questions make sure you ask the Troopers, they are the one's who enforce the laws, not the guy behind the desk at F&G.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Default small game

I have read the regs but maybe not thouroughly enough. Is it legal to shoot grouse and ptarmigan with a rifle (.22) or can you only shoot whem with a shotgun. I have not seen anything in the regs other than they are classified as small game. Just wondering if anyone knows this and will save me a call.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    I have read the regs but maybe not thouroughly enough. Is it legal to shoot grouse and ptarmigan with a rifle (.22) or can you only shoot whem with a shotgun. I have not seen anything in the regs other than they are classified as small game. Just wondering if anyone knows this and will save me a call.
    you may not .... do stuff is the way our regs are written...

you may not hunt big game with a rimfire

but to answer your question... yes
    small game ( not water fowl) may be taken with a .22 rim fire or other...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Grouse

I know this is off topic but I plan on plinking a couple of grouse as soon as I get back from Umiat. Ive seen lots of ptarmigan these past couple of days, there already white up here.

I second, third or what ever on reading the regs, but that said, talk to the law enforcement for that management area as well when confused. I once called all the way up the chain on a boundary question and called the LE for that area. This was years ago, but if memory serves, it had something to do with a controlled use area. No one could answer the question, not even the department that wrote it in the reg. I did not hunt that area because of the confusion. Each said that they could not make heads or tails of it and further stated that it would take a lawyer to figure out. Well I had a lawyer try to figure it out and he could not. Unfortunately some of the requirements are beyond understanding. I just stay away from those areas. That should not be, but better safe than sorry.

Default Federal Regs

The state regs are NOT the only regs to check out. Federal regs trump state regs on federal land and have caused a lot of issues for myself and others in the past. Look at unit 2 deer on POW. Season opens on August 1 - on state land. August 16 on the rest. Unit 18 moose is any bull - unless on Federal land where no moose can be taken (at least it was last time I was there). Check federal laws as well.

Good luck!

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

H2O - they're white? That's great - I took the kids out to rosie creek this weekend and didn't see a thing. Happy plinking!

Just like judging a 50" moose - don't guess when it comes to that or the regs - if you're not sure then you're better off passing and waiting till you are.

Default Reg Change

Just a reminder that you need black bear harvest tickets if you think you might shoot a black bear this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Cazador View Post
    Just a reminder that you need black bear harvest tickets if you think you might shoot a black bear this year.
    Good point....Also make sure to check the FRONT of the regs for the "Major changes" section. It will highlight changes to areas that are quite important (like moose in 14 being pushed 5 days later...).
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    you may not .... do stuff is the way our regs are written...

you may not hunt big game with a rimfire

but to answer your question... yes
    small game ( not water fowl) may be taken with a .22 rim fire or other...
    You forgot to add, unless you are hunting in an area that is limited to shotgun, or bow for small game.

I was fortunate to have re-read the regs late one night when I realized that I shouldn't bring along a rifle for hunting small game in the area I was going hinking, as the season hadn't opened yet, and you need to get a suplimental list from ADF&G for 14c small game.

And just when you think the couple years you spent to learn the regs has you straightened out, they go and change them every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post

Wrong the judges job is to interpret the law, your idea may reduce the severity you get spanked but if you act on misinformation, even F&G misinformation you will still get that spanking.......ignorance of the law is not a defence.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default judge

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Wrong the judges job is to interpret the law, your idea may reduce the severity you get spanked but if you act on misinformation, even F&G misinformation you will still get that spanking.......ignorance of the law is not a defence.
    Of course ignorance is no defense, but judges can and do dismiss charges all the time. Go to the search the state court website. For that matter, the prosecutors office can decide to dismiss and not even bring the charges to court. If you act on bad information from law enforcement you have a very good argurement for dismissal or a token punishment.

the bottom line is what the REGULATIONS state.
    Anything left for humans to read and interpriate will inevitably be mis-interperated.

Default Birds not recovered?

Here's something that I have always practiced, but which I am unable to find in either the state hunting regs or the waterfowl hunting regs. For duck hunting, I have always counted birds that I have downed, but not recovered, against my bag limit. The state hunting regs say that, "Animals disturbed while hunting do not count against your bag limit; however, a person who has wounded game should make every reasonable effort to retrieve and salvage that game."

For duck hunting, losing some birds is an unfortunate eventuality. Even with a good retriever, some ducks will just get away from you, disappear. I have always tallied them up with the birds I didn't lose, so shooting a limit for me does not mean I am taking that many birds out of the field, necessarily. I think this is a good practice, and I will continue to do it regardless, but would it be lawful to keep downing ducks until you actually have the bag limit? Anyone point me to a page in the regs? What's your take? What do you do?

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.