Thread: Yentna/Big Su shortcut water level?

Default Yentna/Big Su shortcut water level?

Anyone know how the water is holding up in the shortcut? Thinking about heading out to the property this weekend and wasn't sure if we could still sneak thru or not :-)

Default could someone show me the shortcut?

heres a picture of google earth and my gps track, wheres the shortcut

thanksyetna big sue.jpg

Default another picture

yetna big sue 2.jpg

i guess i don't see where the big short cut is?

but i'm also not the brightest bulb on my family tree!

Everybody has there shortcut,The big one, little one ect.. you get the just of it,I believe the one he,s talking about would be about 4 dots down on your map there, head straight though pop out where you Drew this one, or the lower one, that creek Kroto slough i believe ,dumps into Fish creek you followed wouldn,t be much of a short cut with all those turns in it.But does end up all in the same place, If this makes any sense, The idea would be to cut off that trangle shaped island down at the mouth of the Yentna, Instead of all the way down than back up.

Default thanks

i thought the lower one was the shortcut. but when i'm heading up the yetna, i'm loaded pretty heavy, and i'm also by myself, so i've allways went down past the sand bar and then back up the yetna.i'm running an inboard jet so just unloading and moving the boat is not as easy as a jon boat with a outboard. thanks for the reply

Yes and it doesn,t shave off that much time,Always better to run were you know you can go, And run the river like you had a prop on down there. http://www.weather.gov/ahps/ To TMS maybe find some good stuff in here on water levels
    Last edited by SusitnaAk; 09-01-2009 at 22:32. Reason: more

Yetnaman37,

After the flood this summer that big bend around lake creek on the yetna has changed alot. Should the water drop like it does in the fall I'll have to find another way around. I heard the barge path goes around this bend on a slough on the left hand side when heading up wondering if you have it on a map?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by yetnaman37 View Post

thanksyetna big sue.jpg

Default yep

i think it's called 20 mile slough. i'll talk to bill brion, who runs a barge out of benalit lodge what the route he was using, but i belive its 20 mile slough. when i get home i'll save a picture on google earth and post it.

20 mile slough is about 10 minutes south of the Lake Creek area, so not sure this is the one you are talking about, I would think that it would be closer to Lake Creek???

The river changed ALOT this year up there, made for some interesting boating

thanksyetna big sue.jpg
    Head across from the 5th dot down (on the Su) - follow it around and it will bring you right out onto the Yentna. It saves us about 30 minutes, but we have a flat bottom riverboat with an outboard. It probably wouldn't take near as long with a different boat. It can get a little shallow in the shortcut, so just be aware of that....

I always watch the water level on noaa advanced hydrologic prediction service. If the water is under 15 feet at the Lake creek guage I go around. My boat goes pretty shallow, but I don't like to get stuck

Default 20 mile slough

I think you are all correct that it would be called 20 mile slough. So if you run the river lots you proubly know what bend I'm talking about that changed so much after the flood. Please let me know where 20 mile starts heading up river / exits. Thanks in advance for you help.
    I typically run with the little ones so your help prevents a possible sand bar with them.

Default great info

bill is going to mark the route on the picture i sent him, then send it back to me and i'll post it. i also think it would be nice to make up a list of water levels, and at what ft level you can go different ways. like launching at deshka, at what water level on the big sue, do you have to launch on the river, instead of the boat launch, what level can we use a shortcut. today at lake creek its 15.2', last wenesday it was 13.5'. i know i can go through the bad spot below lake creek at anything over 13' at lake creek. big sue at parks river bridge is 12.1' today, 11' last wenesday. i'm not sure how much lower the big sue goes before we can't use the launch. just a thought

Default heres the picture

20 mile Slough is still to the left of your white box. If I could figure out how to post a google earth pic I have it all marked out. 20 mile slough is normally passable during high water.

The route you have marked out is the normal "barge" route.

The river over the last couple of years has changed drastically. Not only do I run it summertime but I ride it a real lot during the winter. So I see where the bars are and how far they move every year. Last year the river from Yetena Station to Skwentna was some of the flatest I have seen in the last 12 years. The sand bars were lowered, flatten and moved.

Default thank you

Gosh thanks, Thats where I thought it might be and thanks for confirming. I'll now travel with ease of not worring about hitting that bar with the little ones. Where your posted trail comes back into the main river headed up is the bend that changed / flattend out so much. Last year I was able to run it the through the first week of October, but after the flood this year I think it could be dry with all the changes. Thanks for all your help.
    AK LIVIN

"Where your posted trail comes back into the main river headed up is the bend that changed / flattend out so much"

this is the part of the river i was talking about getting thru when the water level is 13' or more at lake creek. any less than 13', i use the marked route.

Thanks for confirming and all of you are always welcome at our fire!!!

"Where your posted trail comes back into the main river headed up is the bend that changed / flattend out so much"

this is the part of the river i was talking about getting thru when the water level is 13' or more at lake creek. any less than 13', i use the marked route.