Thread: Hunting Near Roads

Default Hunting Near Roads

I'm sure there has got to be something about this, but for the life of me I can't find anything. . . that doesn't say much though.

Do you have to be a certain distance from any road to hunt? I know you can't shoot across a road, but what if you are in a normal hunting area, say 14B and there's a perfectly legal moose 50 yards from the road?

Also, does this count for gravel roads/trails?

I ask this because I passed a huge bull about a week ago less than 100yds from the road. I would have loved to have taken that!

Read the regs and if you don't understand them, F&G will clarify them for you. General rule is no shooting down or across a road and you must be at least 50 feet off of the road. Unless you want passerbys to question your kill, walk a ways from the road. Also, you have to be aware of where you might leave a carcass. Is it going to cause bears and other predators to frequent a polulated area, and or will it be visible to non hunters that might cause undesirable reactions in the hunting community.

Quote Originally Posted by bearhunter09 View Post
    Read the regs and if you don't understand them, F&G will clarify them for you. General rule is no shooting down or across a road and you must be at least 50 feet off of the road. Unless you want passerbys to question your kill, walk a ways from the road. Also, you have to be aware of where you might leave a carcass. Is it going to cause bears and other predators to frequent a polulated area, and or will it be visible to non hunters that might cause undesirable reactions in the hunting community.

Thanks for answering my question so quickly. Down or across and 50ft. As far as what else you've mentioned, very good points, some that I hope all of us consider. Thanks.

I agree with having F&G clarify any questions. Here is my take on it.

The reg's say "you may not take game by: Shooting on, from, or across the drivable surface of any constructed road or highway." It doesn't say 50 feet, but if you can step off 50 feet, it will help remove any doubt about where you were shooting from.
    Another thing listed under "common violations" is leaving any part of a harvested animal on a public road or road right-of-way, which is littering. Leave the hide, guts etc. in the field, out of sight of roads or trails.

Also, some areas have restrictions. For instance, I think you have to be a 1/4 mile from the road to discharge firearms in Denali State Park. Always check.....

Default been there

If the road has been built up (IE shoulder) you cannot shoot from that either. I almost got nailed for that a few years back when I was standing off the shoulder but they found my ejected shell on the shoulder and commenced to drilling me with questions. I was completely legal but they were "just doing their job". Just make sure you are off the shoulder as well, as it was put in to construct the road and technically you can drive on it.

I took the Alaska Hunter Safety Course a couple years ago, and the instructors were pretty adamant that you only had to be off of the road... NO 50ft rule. Although, i agree, further off the road, the better. Also, Game Refuges you must be 1/4 mile off the road. I was told by F&G that hunting from the Glenn Hwy in the Palmer Hay Flats, you MUST be 1/4 mile from the road...

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default YUK

Quote Originally Posted by akguy454 View Post
    If the road has been built up (IE shoulder) you cannot shoot from that either. I almost got nailed for that a few years back when I was standing off the shoulder but they found my ejected shell on the shoulder and commenced to drilling me with questions. I was completely legal but they were "just doing their job". Just make sure you are off the shoulder as well, as it was put in to construct the road and technically you can drive on it.
    That's good to know, about not standing on the "shoulder", and also good to know HOW those people are "doing their job".

(Looking for your spent case, or just noticing it and trying to make a case about it.) I think it's uncalled for to go that length, when there's no obvious violation. They'd get more cooperation if they weren't so accusatory.

A couple/three years ago, when I was Caribou hunting a F&G guy pretended to be just another hunter, and he asked me so many dumb questions that I seen through him right away.

I'm not impressed with their tactics. Well, not favorably impressed.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Depends where you are at. You have to be a quarter mile off the main road on Wrangell island,about 12 miles lenght.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver_99654 View Post
    Also, Game Refuges you must be 1/4 mile off the road. I was told by F&G that hunting from the Glenn Hwy in the Palmer Hay Flats, you MUST be 1/4 mile from the road...
    I can't find reference to this. You got a reference? Couldn't find anything on line or in the reg book on it. Maybe I ain't looked in the right place yet.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    I can't find reference to this. You got a reference? Couldn't find anything on line or in the reg book on it. Maybe I ain't looked in the right place yet.

well AK... take a drive to anchorage in the AM... there is a BIG BIG sign...

no SHOOTING 1/4 of road..

and the disclaimer on page 8

MOST STATE REFUGE LANDS ARE OPEN TO HUNTING, BUT THERE MAY BEE ACCESS OR REGIS RATIONS REQUIREMENTS... FOR MORE INFORMATION CALL THE ADFG OFFICE NEAREST THE REFUGE WHERE YOU PLAN TO HUNT...

1/4 mile spuds like access requirements to me...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Vince is correct...(for once... )