Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 225gr Accubond and the Ruger M77 358Win

Default 225gr Accubond and the Ruger M77 358Win

I had a friend of mine buy some Conely 225gr Accubond ammo for the 358Win and he said they fit in his Ruger M77 magazine and they shot good.

Well if you buy a box of Conley ammo it comes to 66.00 and after shipping and handling you spend 90.00 a box. Well that comes to 4.50 a round. NO way Hosea!!!!!!

I measured my magazine and it is 2.935" and Conley's fix OAL is 2.820". So, since my Ruger M77 can handle the 225gr Accubond a box of Nosler Accubonds is on the way.

Now what I did was take once fired brass and only neck size it so it gives me just a little more volume for powder so I can get the 2550fps that Conely gets. With the OAL at 2.82" I will not have the bullet protruding any future into the brass than the 225gr Sierra SBT.

When I load and do my testing I will report to you all. It will give me over 3200fps of energy and the same ballistics as a 165gr in a 30-06.

Now on top of all of that if it works well and has good hunting accuracy or better it will provide a a bullet that will handle the toughest stuff I could hunt in North America at the velocities I can get out of a 358Win. While at the same time a bullet that will open up good on deer size game.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I have some experience with Conley precision and the 358 Win. I will not go into detail right now, but I would be willing to wager that he does not get ANYWHERE close to 2550 fps when the load is chronographed. The loads I bought from him were supposed to be 2400 FPS, when I ran them over the chronograph they were UNDER 2100 FPS! That is over 300 FPS LESS than advertised. He was full of worthless excuses and never did make things right. I would shy away from anything with his stamp on it.

Thumbs up

I'm going to have a similar load with the 338 Fed and 225 gr Accubonds. I have 150 bullets, and will use RE 15. Unfortunatly, its not first on my list of reloads, so I won't report back for some time.

I'm only expectecting up to 2400 fps with a 22" barrel.

I'm looking forward to seeing if you get to 2550. That will be awesome.

Three years ago I was dreaming of a 358 with 225 grainers, and then the 338 Fed came out, and I jumped on it. I had my reasons at the time, but, I figure flipping a coin would have done just as well.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Storm56 View Post
    I have some experience with Conley precision and the 358 Win. I will not go into detail right now, but I would be willing to wager that he does not get ANYWHERE close to 2550 fps when the load is chronographed. The loads I bought from him were supposed to be 2400 FPS, when I ran them over the chronograph they were UNDER 2100 FPS! That is over 300 FPS LESS than advertised. He was full of worthless excuses and never did make things right. I would shy away from anything with his stamp on it.
    I am not buying Conley ammo but will be reloading on my own. I have got the Sierra over 2500fps and I know I can get the Accubond over 2500fps without being over max. I am just glad that I can get it to fit in the magazine of my M77.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Eastwoods View Post
    I'm going to have a similar load with the 338 Fed and 225 gr Accubonds. I have 150 bullets, and will use RE 15. Unfortunatly, its not first on my list of reloads, so I won't report back for some time.

I'm only expectecting up to 2400 fps with a 22" barrel.

I'm looking forward to seeing if you get to 2550. That will be awesome.

Three years ago I was dreaming of a 358 with 225 grainers, and then the 338 Fed came out, and I jumped on it. I had my reasons at the time, but, I figure flipping a coin would have done just as well.

Good luck
    I believe with my approach to the 225gr bullet and the use of once fired brass that will only be neck sized that I will get close if not right at 2550fps. I almost got there with the Sierra but settled for a more accurate load.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

If the Accubond load work does not work out good I have all I need in the load I have already developed to handle this falls hunting.

I take a carry 44mag Ruger Super Blackhawk or Redhawk revolver for emergency back up and my back up rifle is a custom 300Wby.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Well my Nosler Accubonds should be here tomorrow but no later than Monday and tomorrow when I go to Baton Rouge to shoot with my friend Jerry, I will pick up some Ramshot TAC that Jerry found for me and some mag primers he is giving me.

Tomorrow should be fun. He will be shooting his 300Win at 400, 500 and 600yds and I will be shooting my 358 out to 300, 350 and 400 using the 225gr Sierra SBT. Should be a real hoot. Also, seeing how my 300Wby does with my 165gr back up load at 400, 500 and 600 using a BDC on my Nikon.

Not a real big user of a BDC but did make a 610yds on a deer out west with my 300Wby using a BDC on a 3.5-10x40mm Leupold a few years back. If you practice with one and make sure it is hiting according to the marks, deer size game can quickly and easily be taken. But you must make sure and that can only be done by practicing at the range.

Can't wait to see what the Accubonds do in my 358Win.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

My starting loads using TAC went like this 43-44-45-45.5-46 with the 225gr Sierra. 42= 2320fps, 43=2403. I stopped, I still have primed brass from that batch and will load up 44.5grs before continuing the load developement. I think I just started to get some load dencity and think 45grs will be fine maybe even 46, but safty first.I could be 1 gr off but but 46 seem to stick in my mind as the max W.P. listed. Both TAC loads grouped 1.0". I will post my resualts when done.

TAC/WIN brass/FED 210M/SIERRA 225gr
    H322/WIN Brass/FED 210M/HORNADY 200gr Spire Point

Quote Originally Posted by tjen View Post
    My starting loads using TAC went like this 43-44-45-45.5-46 with the 225gr Sierra. 42= 2320fps, 43=2403. I stopped, I still have primed brass from that batch and will load up 44.5grs before continuing the load developement. I think I just started to get some load dencity and think 45grs will be fine maybe even 46, but safty first.I could be 1 gr off but but 46 seem to stick in my mind as the max W.P. listed. Both TAC loads grouped 1.0". I will post my resualts when done.

TAC/WIN brass/FED 210M/SIERRA 225gr
    H322/WIN Brass/FED 210M/HORNADY 200gr Spire Point
    Considering the burn rate, consistency of powder it should go above 46grs. I even have info from an article that 49grs was used and no over max signs with the 225gr bullet and it was over 2500fps. I will work up until my chamber begins to let me know. If I get over .0035" expansion on the base of my brass I will stop.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

The Accubond will fit in the 358Win ruger. I will be using TAC powder which will allow for great velocities and the bullet will not crowd the powder because a max load of TAC will not come all the way up to the base of the brass neck. I will post the results soon.

Just finished some 358win loads using the Accubonds. I set my OAL the same as Conley Ammo does which is 2.882" and they fit the magazine with some to spare and chamber easier than the 225gr Sierras do which had an OAL of 2.770". Will go to the range this Monday or Tuesday weather permitting.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

With the Accubond should be -5" at 275yds, -10" at 315yds, at 320yds hold on top of shoulders of deer size game and will be able hit the kill area out to 400yds being -14" from top of shoulders out to 390yds. The best I can do with my 225gr Sierra load is 375yrds being 14" from top of shoulder.

Just was out yesterday shooting the 225gr Sirra at 300, 350 and 375yds so those figures are for sure. Was 3 3/4" group at 300yds and at 375 was just at 6" groups. All bullets did fall within a ten inch circle. Will know more about the Accubond soon.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Here is the 225gr Accubond 358Win load I will be testing Monday or Tuesday:

Here is the 208gr Amax 300Wby load I will be testing as my back up:
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Well, I went to the range today with my 358Win and my new loads using TAC powder and Nosler 225gr Accubond.

It was a good day and I have a hot rod for a 358Win.

My OAL for the Accubond was 2.882" and my rifle has a magazine length of 2.935" so I have plenty of room in my 358Win Ruger Hawkeye for the Nosler Accubond.

I need to ask a question of you all - "Does the Accubond like to be almost on the lands or does it like a jump? I need to know this to make any OAL adjustment to tighten my group. Now as you will see my group minus bore is just barely over and 1" infact 1 1/16" is the group size for my fastest velocity load of today which is the load I want to go with.

My rifle will take 50gr of TAC with out the base expanding past .0004" so this is my max load for my rifle. Here is a picture of the base of my brass using 50grs of TAC. Also, the powder with 50grs of TAC is just at the shoulder of the brass and not up in or touching the neck area of the brass.

Here is the group and the black circle on my home made target is one inch across.

Here is the consistency of my load if you will see my recorded notes on the velocity of 50grs of TAC.

This will be my hunting load and at 2555fps this 358Win using the Accubond will be a serious hunting rifle for what ever I want to hunt with it anywhere in North America.

Here is the ballistic card I will carry with me this year.

Ballistic Chart
    358Win Ruger Hawkeye
    225gr Accubond
    2555fps

Sight in at 3" high at 100yds

1000 foot pounds energy as minimum on deer size game

Yards--------Velocity-----Energy-----(above/below line of sight)

0--------------2555------3261-------------(-1.5")

100-----------2348------2275-------------(+3")

220-----------2213------2232-------------(Zero)

275-----------2010------2095-------------(-5”)

313-----------1941------1881--------(-10” P/B-hold top of shoulder)

371-----------1837------1686--------(-10” from top of shoulder)

390-----------1804------1626--------(-14” from top of shoulder)
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Glad to hear the TAC worked for you...

Looks like you have a winner on your hands. The Accubond should be exceedingly effective at those velocities on whatever you decide to use it on.

Best of luck on you hunt...

Looks like Doubletap Ammo is doing its part to bring the 358win back.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php

I am really pleased with the TAC powder and it's performance and the Accubond. I will try a little adjustment with the OAL and see if it tightens up group but it is good enough to hunt with for sure.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Smokin!!!!

Yes for a 358Win 225gr load this Accubond is smokin. The reason I decided to try the TAC powder and the Accubond is that I needed the extra down rang with retained energy because where I will be hunting 30-50yds extra could make the difference.

If the group tightens up I will be using it instead of the Sierra 225gr SBT. Plus both bullets need at least 1800fps to open up. The Sierra does not meet this requirement due to fact I can't push it as fast in my rifle and it's BC keeps it from maintaining energy at it's outer limit of range. On the other hand the Accubond has the energy needed to open the bullet even at the extreme range of it's use.

Yes, I have lengthen my OAL from 2.882" to 2.885" assuming that it would like to be close to the lands.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

In going to the range today and increasing my OAL from 2.882" to 2.885" two things changed. 1. The point of impact and 2. The velocity.

Now the point of impact was a little to the right and just a little lower than the previous load. The velocities came up 20fps faster.

Now two things stayed the same. 1. The pressures stayed the same because the base of the brass expanded the same as yesterday and did not increase. 2. The size of the group ( although I was not pleased with my second shot as I felt I did not do a good job) was the same.

Here is the Target:

Here is the average velocity:

Ballistic Chart
    358Win Ruger Hawkeye
    225gr Accubond
    2574fps energy 3310
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Yep, stopping right here and will load some more to sight-in correctly so as to be ready to hunt with it. I have the same ballistics a a 30-06 with a 180gr bullet but with a 225gr bullet that makes a bigger hole, has more energy and that says it all.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast