Thread: Buy a gun or sell ammo?

Default Buy a gun or sell ammo?

At what point should I buy a gun instead of selling Ammo? A friend moved out of town and left me over 500 rounds of 357 and 38cal ammo. I do not have a 38 or 357 so at what point does it become worth while to buy a gun to go with the ammo. Also he left me some 45 colt which I don't have. I have yet to count the totals of each. Thanks
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Sell or trade the .357 rounds and pick up a .44

Here's why:

><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I figure everyone should have at least one .357. They aren't terribly popular in AK, so you can typically get a good deal on a used one.

Default 357

Buy a 357 MAG and shoot it.

Defintely be on the lookout for a .357 , even for just a backup.

Every gun guy needs a 357mag and any Alaskan outdoorsman needs a bear gun like a 45lc/41/460/480/500 (even 44mag if you like them) around, your friend has great taste in handgun calibers.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Heck I buy a gun just to fit a holster I find.Then again if you have an extra belt you need a holster for it,its a sickness

Duh! Buy a gun!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    At what point should I buy a gun instead of selling Ammo? A friend moved out of town and left me over 500 rounds of 357 and 38cal ammo. I do not have a 38 or 357 so at what point does it become worth while to buy a gun to go with the ammo. Also he left me some 45 colt which I don't have. I have yet to count the totals of each. Thanks

okay time to break in that new wife and get her all trainedup....

repeat after me...

" honey?... we need to move all this stuff. but the ammo market is all dried up...seems no one is buying second hand ammo..."

( now listen intently)" well dear what do you suggest?"

well er... i heard there was a sale in town... and a .357 is a lot smaller then all these boxes of ammo...." but it would take a while to shoot it all...

..... the good news is... that BRASS sales have really gone up... and we could almost get the cost of the gun back later by saving all the brass...."

okay now is the hardest part of all...

LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!

soon it will be her idea... ( well after you stacked it all on her side of the closet.. making her move it for shoes a few times...)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

buy a handgun to use the shells and tell her it a early xmas present ..

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    okay time to break in that new wife and get her all trainedup....

repeat after me...

" honey?... we need to move all this stuff. but the ammo market is all dried up...seems no one is buying second hand ammo..."

( now listen intently)" well dear what do you suggest?"

well er... i heard there was a sale in town... and a .357 is a lot smaller then all these boxes of ammo...." but it would take a while to shoot it all...

..... the good news is... that BRASS sales have really gone up... and we could almost get the cost of the gun back later by saving all the brass...."

okay now is the hardest part of all...

LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!

soon it will be her idea... ( well after you stacked it all on her side of the closet.. making her move it for shoes a few times...)
    Only angle you missed there is how 38/357 is a good caliber for women.LOL
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Only angle you missed there is how 38/357 is a good caliber for women.LOL
    That is what I was wondering. Maybe I should buy her a 357 for me to use. When the guy asked if I had a use for the ammo, I said I guess I could buy a gun to go with it, only half kidding. It is in a medium flat rate box and it is full of ammo. What does a decent 357 go for? I am not familliar with what is available, so what should I expect for makes and prices? I would be looking in the stock guns, with a wedding in a few weeks, I can not afford a expensive gun.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

$200-250 you can find some nice used 357's. I'm fond of the ruger blackhawks, though I did have an accuracy issue with mine, long story. The old ruger security six can be had fairly affordably as well. S&W or Colt is going to cost you more. The pawn shops always seem to have a selection, or Northern Security might still have some used ones.

In a strong gun like the blackhawk, the 357 can be loaded to be an honest to goodness bear gun, it is on the minimum end, but 180-200 gr cast @ 1200-1300 fps ain't no pea shooter.

Default how about a little carbine?

Easy for me to say as I already have a 71 ruger security six, but I am still searching for a lever gun in .357.
    I held one of those puma 92's with a 16" barrel the other day. wow...
    If I were you, I'd find me an old wore out lever gun, install a set of peep sights and in my opinion, you'd have a decent wilderness gun...
    It will feed the .38 specials just as well,( perfect bed side hoodlem stick).
    The only problem is finding a used one. The new is gonna cost you 500$, but a used one could go for 150.00<
    Good luck on your hunt and let us know what you find....And I don't mean a buyer for the ammo, be sure to get the gun...

Default Wedding?

Did you say wedding in a few weeks? Don't you have a wedding registry for all those household items your future wife want's. Put a .357 and a.44 on there.
    That's how I got my welder! I figured I should at least get 1 gift, and one of my friends agreed, and bought me a welder that I had listed on the registry.

Quote Originally Posted by mayormack View Post
    Did you say wedding in a few weeks? Don't you have a wedding registry for all those household items your future wife want's. Put a .357 and a.44 on there.
    That's how I got my welder! I figured I should at least get 1 gift, and one of my friends agreed, and bought me a welder that I had listed on the registry.
    Well I don't think Pennys and Crate and Barrel carry 357's. I convinced her that I should sell the ammo that i do not have a gun for with the exception of the 357/38. Then I can use the money for the purchase of a 357. The only problem is she wants one too, so I need 2 of them. So what does 45 colt rounds (155) sell for? I also have some 45 Schofield (50) and 9mm (50). Anyoune willing to trade ammo for a 357? I did end up with 1100 rounds about 50/50 split of 357/38.

Also he left me 1 box of 45/70 ammo, where do I find the value of them?

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    Also he left me 1 box of 45/70 ammo, where do I find the value of them?
    Not so fast.... This means you need to buy a new Marlin Guide gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Not so fast.... This means you need to buy a new Marlin Guide gun.
    That is on the list of guns I want, but the deal was I can use the money from selling ammo to buy a gun. Of course If I sold the 375 ammo, I am sure I could ger a nice guide gun. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...

Default do this...

Find a used Smith & Wesson Mod. 19 or 66 or 65 or similar K Frame revolver with a 3" barell and shoot it till the cows come home. I love mine!