Thread: Beginner Cataraft (single)

Default Beginner Cataraft (single)

I'm looking to get a single man cataraft this winter. My main purpose would be for the streams in the valley and also the Kenai. What would be some good choices? Any information is appreciated.

Thank you!

Default fishcat

get a 9 foot fishcat - the one with 4 tubes instead of 2...

or go on the cheap and get a creek company one - they all work pretty good.

We each seem to have our own preference. For $400, SW's Bucks Bag 9' seems to work fine. The bags are cheapo and require some extra stitching.
    I didn't like the 4 tuber, but that's just me.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default Guess

I'm going to take en educated guess and say that longer tubes, say 10' would be more stable and safer for floats like the Kenai, correct?

10' is more stable than 9'. I wouldn't go below 9'. Anything much bigger puts you into the 2 man category. I've ran some class 3 stuff in a 9' and had a ball. That's plenty big for most valley stuff (that I've seen) and the Kenai. I would like to run the canyon in it. Anybody want to pick up a straggler at the lake for the run to the CG?
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default 1 man cat

Mr. Bowdy - I have an almost new SOTAR cat, 12-13' long with 19 or 20 inch tubes that i will cut a good deal on. You can run just about any water in Alaska on her. Was made to be a one person cat. Will have to check on what i have for a frame or you can just buy the tubes if you like. This is a real cat, not a play fishing thing. Have clients in town now, but will get to storage in a day or so. E-mail if interested.
    Goo Vogt
    sotaralaska@yahoo.com

Goo Vogt
    ALASKA WILDWATER

I have a 10 foot outcast and love it. It does everything I've expected it to do, other then fit in my car

I've only floated the kenai and portage. But the Kenai is where I spend most of my time. I'd like to float the gulkana sometime also. I went with the 10 footer because I'm 6'4'' 230 lbs. so the weight limit was a big concern. The thing only weighs 67 pounds if I recall, so I can move it around by myself no problem. I bought Outcast because I got a deal on it where I work. I chose outcast over fishcat for the 10 year warranty instead of 5 year. Its also constructed a little better from what I saw.

This is my first raft and I really enjoy it. I haven't done any valley streams yet, but I'll be floating the little su next summer, or at least plan on it. I'm also looking at getting a bigger raft so I can take a buddy or two. Only downside is the fact that I have to rely on my one friend that has a one-man also, because I don't want to float anything alone.

Default Thanks!

Thank you for all the replies! It definetly helps! Keep them comin' I don't mind!

Thumbs up

I know you were asking about a single... mostly some good input so far.

On the one person cats you'll find really cheapo to the gettin' up there in price.

Designs and features vary quite a bit... so it depends on what waters you'll mostly find yourself floating, how you get to those places, seeing how your paddling skills/reading waters develop, and future planning of float trips (day or multiday - one person plus more).

The best value, low draft performer, and one of the better choices for Alaska roadside by far is the FishCat Cougar. It has twin-tubes per side w/ 4 chambers. Granted, it still fits into the lesser expensive cat-egory but a great value. We have two rental FishCat Cougars in perfect condition if you want to try before you buy... we will also be selling off used rentals at season end that are all in excellent shape.

Another fine and much better choice would be to go with the Outcast PAC 9000 double tube design or PAC 1100 single tube design (both have 4 chambers w/ quality valves). These boats a better altogether... made in USA, construction, materials, attention to workmanship detail, 10 year no fault warranty, etc.

If you go to the two person or row more demanding rivers a real cat (like SOTAR or AIRE) will serve better utility than the 'personal variety' plus you generally move up in terms of quality from the notable manufacturers. We have one Outcast PAC 1200 in minty condition I just posted in the Swap&Sell listings here at 1/2 the price of new that would likely make an excellent boat for your use.

Trying a few out is one of the best remedies for answering Cat boat inquiries. We also do chalk talk as well as on water practical classes to get you acquainted with good decision making, to dial in good habits, learn techniques/safety/reading the water, plus suggestions on great places to make mileage.

Default Found a raft

For those offering a raft for sale I have found one. Thank you.

Default So what did you buy?

So what did you come-up with?

Default Cats

are any of the one man cats that were mentioned for sale still available?
    Adison
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

Default cats

Mr. Adison, I have 3 small SOTAR cats 2 are new and the other has only been used a couple of times. Not sure of exact sizes will have to get them out of the storage unit and put a tape on them. They are in the 12'-14' range with 21"-24" tubes, with dual chambers in each tube. Do not have any frames at this time, but can order what you want. If interested contact me at sotaralaska@yahoo.com
    Goo Vogt