Thread: weight# = what pound test?

Question weight# = what pound test?

What does a 10 weight fly line equal in pound test? Is there a general chart that tells you that? I look on most flyline boxes and it doesnt mention it. Just curious as to how much "pressure" you can apply to a fish with different wt lines. Leaders I can figure out...

Thanks

well it depends, some lines (rio leviathan I think) have stronger cores because you are using them to fish for marlin, I think most fly lines are like 40# test or so for some reason, I'm really not sure. If you put a leader on 999 times out of 1000 the leader will break before a properly cared for fly line

Also you should have the leader with less breaking strength than the backing so you don't lose your fly line
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by FishnMan View Post
    What does a 10 weight fly line equal in pound test?

Good question. I have no idea the answer, but I would not worry about it. I have never heard of a fly line breaking. The knot, leader, hook, will give before the line.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Flyfishusa says this:

For example: a 2 or 3 weight line will normally break at about 20 lbs.; a heavy saltwater line core may test over 40lbs.

http://www.flyfishusa.com/lines/choose-line-home.html

Watched a guy hook a sockeye this summer and broke his flyline right about in the middle, bummer!!!!

Default Makes Sense

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Good question. I have no idea the answer, but I would not worry about it. I have never heard of a fly line breaking. The knot, leader, hook, will give before the line.
    Using a "weaker" leader makes sense and saves your fly line and backing....

a good rule of thumb that I have always been told is never go over 2x your rod weight with your leader. So for a 10 wt rod, your max is 20# leader.

If you go to Rio's website and look at each line's tech spec (not the tech spec page but the actual lines page) it shows you the tensile strength of the lines. Also CMO is correct about tippet strength, the tippet should not be more than double the rod weight, you could break a rod using a 20# tippet size on a 7wt, rod.