Thread: Leica S2 - 37 megapixel camera !

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

Default Leica S2 - 37 megapixel camera !

The S2 will make pro Canon and Nikon image files look like they came from a point-and-shoot camera.

That is the claim Leica makes with their new camera !

Read the article here.

$30,000 !!

I just have to get one of these !!

You can bet I will post these images for sure !!

I have always said and claimed that Leica makes the best camera in the world UNDISPUTED !!

Sony now has a 24 mega pixel camera for under $2,000

Those are without a doubt my two choices for a professional camera.

Nikon & Cannon cannot compare ! NOT EVEN CLOSE !!

The lenses must be made from the salt in Angel's Tears and the casing formed from unicorn horns.

Hasselblad is coming out with an 8 Gigapixel camera next year.

Price:

Yep, that's $1Billion
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Majik, does this mean you're finally going to upgrade that old FZ50?

Lieca does indeed make fine cameras. So far their digital cameras haven't been all that compelling, but this does look good from the specs. Still out of my price range though.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik Imaje View Post

I have always said and claimed that Leica makes the best camera in the world UNDISPUTED !!

UNDISPUTED on THIS forum ???????

Leica's SUCK. Can't believe they are still in business. I thought they were selling the disposable cameras you find at the drug stores and whatnot. Anyway, they suck. NOW WHAT!!!!

A REAL MAN would have a Nikon or better yet a CANON

OF COURSE I am F'ing with you Majik. Good luck with your new obsession. But it looks like prostitutes and drugs would be cheaper. There are SOME things even a $30,000 camera CAN'T do

You picking up what I'm putting down?

Food for thought perhaps.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    Lieca does indeed make fine cameras. So far their digital cameras haven't been all that compelling, but this does look good from the specs. Still out of my price range though.
    It looks good... if the need is for a Medium Format studio camera that competes with Hasselblad, Mamiya, Sinar, Phase One and so on. They all have 30+ MP Medium Format digital cameras that cost from $15,000 to $30,000. (Which is to say that what seems to be ooing and awing everyone here is old hat that isn't even new!)

They are not competing with Canon, Pentax, and Nikon DSLR's though. The Leica S2 appears to be an incremental leap past the most of the others (it doesn't out do Phase One in specs or price), but still sports a maximum ISO of 1250, a frame rate of 1.5 fps, and an AF system that would embarrass even Canon. For sports, event, or journalism none of the MF digital cameras are competitive with 35mm or APC sized DSLRs.

On the other hand, as it has been since the early days of color roll film, for product photography, landscapes, and studio portraiture, the MF sized cameras are clearly worth the extra cost for a commercial photographer working in the areas where MF excels.

Given the typical photography posted to this forum, RayinAK is probably the only photographer here that would truly enjoy the advantage of an MF camera. Just imagine his landscapes shot with a 50MP Hasselblad H3Dii-50! (Assuming someone donated the $27,000 price tag.)

The Leica S2 appears to be unusual only in that, in addition to following the Leica tradition of being more jewelry than tool, it actually does surpass Hasselblad in some ways as a camera. That does force the question of whether Leica is in it for the long run, or if their MF cameras will eventually be relegated to the same level their 35mm sized DSLR's are (a great necklace, and almost as good a camera as those from Canon and Nikon).

Quotes: " if there is a need" - ??

THAT IS THE only REASON. I would purchase a camera such as this:

A specific need - where as there is nothing else available that could do the job as well ! X-cept an 8 x 10 or 11 x 14 OL fashioned film camera.

The Mayor of the North Slope Borough & The Mayor(s) of the city of Barrow have all asked me the same question. What can we do to keep tourists in Barrow longer ??

I gave them a simple answer that 'painted' quite a picture that was easily recognizable and as such.. .. I can reveal what this purpose is.

TRANSFORM Barrow into the BROADWAY of the Arctic

This means the highest quality images displayed using DIGITAL LED FRAMES backlit images printed on FILM

These frames can withstand any temps - tested to - 50 C.

300 - 500 gigantic framed photographs

For a self guided tourist info tour on Inupiaq Lifestyle & Culture & traditions.

44" wide & 64" wide photographs printed on clear film for the most colorful saturated images you have ever seen.

Yes I will purchase this fine camera for sure. .. only because, It will not cost me anything.

When ever I want a new piece of equipment (and we all do) I let the public purchase it for me! I have been doing this since the early 70's and I still use this valued method.

"Ideas are more powerful than money"

That is an exact quote from a former Governor of Alaska.

Walter Hickel

A simple idea to a decades old problem here in Barrow. funds are not a problem. Creating that many spectacular images will indeed be a true test of skill and artistic composition for all to see.

Yes gigantic 'snapshots' !!

To make money in this business all you have to do.. is be able to do something .. no one else can do !! or wants to do. ( in your area) !!

It always begins.. .. with a 'simple' idea !!

In 40 years time working in this business I have never had the need to ever use film or ISO above 100 . for a customer. I have never had a professional need or project that requred more than 1 frame per second.

I have however needed the higest possible resolution for huge prints and images where only an 8x10 camera w/film could provide the necessary razor sharpness for extreme texture detail.

upgrading from Panasonic FZ-50 ? I use lots of cameras for lots of different reasons !

My all time favorite is my obsolete Mamiya RB 67
    Now as far as this high rez mega pixel being available for 10 years - that is absolute nonsense !!

2003 Mamiya Rb had a digital back of 22 mega pixels - now 6 years later they are @ 30 . Leica has the highest in the industry @ 37+

The main drawback for the Mamiya RB digital back was the excessive downlod times after capturing an image.

I have used 6x7 format for years doing sports events w a huge 360 mm lens. My photos were always much cleaner and noticeably sharper than what any 35 mm could ever produce !

The trick is to skillfully capture one frame. Not blast away @ 6 fps AND HOPE you capture that image. I do not need that feature.

Medium format is in a class by itself -

I spent many months pondering the purchase of a Hassleblad in the early 70's. 1973 to be exact (October). I purchased a Mamiya 67 for one reason.

Hassleblad cannot use the entire negative (same as 35mm) to place that image on standard size papers.

6x7 & 4x5 or 8 x 10 are all perfect formats

You can put an image on any size paper that goes from edge to edge both vertical and horizontal in the viewfinder.

I want to use the entire frame !!

Use your brain; it is easy to gain fame in this game !!

Quote Originally Posted by Majik Imaje View Post

I can reveal what this purpose is.

TRANSFORM Barrow into the BROADWAY of the Arctic

You can sugar coat a turd, but you still end up with a turd

Joking Majik!!
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    You can sugar coat a turd, but you still end up with a turd
    Dan, please tell us how your really feel.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Dan, please tell us how your really feel.
    Thanks Dan. Your point is well taken !

thanks for posting and sharing !!!

Barrow... Broadway...

Having fun with you Majik, nothing more. Always enjoy your post (and pics)!

And while eating crow...

Given the choice, I would rather spend time in Barrow over NYC anyday

I will be driving through that cesspool (NYC) tonight around 0100 on my way from Mass down to NC

About as much fun as snorting glass powder.