Thread: late opportunity to hunt sheep

Default late opportunity to hunt sheep

new to forum. have an opportunity to go out to try to get a sheep asap. have hunted lots but not sheep in ak. want to go where walk in only but seems like liklihood is low. have 10 days, am equipped and able to cover lots of ground in mountains. understand i haven't paid dues but have been climbing in ak moutains for dozen years. looking at 13d cua but have feeling very few legal sheep exist. any advice as to where to go? am prepared to just spend some days in mountains but at least want a chance to work hard and get a ram.

If you're talking about the Tonsina CUA then head towards the southern end. Hunt the glaciers. There are usually only a hand full of legal rams in any given year.

Good luck

Default McCarthy

Spend some $$$.. Go to McCarthy and fly out. You can find a drop off area for under $500 and it will put you where you can get to sheep.

Troy

thanks for the replies. as far as $$$, don't have much...hence the time off to hunt. also, would rather try to just get in/out on own realizing reduced odds. Erik in AK, do you mean the glaciers feeding the teikel? if so, would you reccomend going in on road along copper on bike and then heading up into high country or coming in off the teikel?

Default Tonsina Control Use Area

I'd go with what Erik said, Tonsina CUA is a good area but you will have to hoof it for a long ways, I hunted goats in there, and seen few small rams and alot of ewes and lambs, but I was only hunting near five mile creek and did not go south. You can talk to the people at the native clinic, or park your vehicle at the camp grounds there, and hike in at Five mile creek, it only took me 5 hours to get into the Mountains, where I saw alot of sheep and only one goat, there is some big moose in there but I don't think anyone is going to do a walk in Moose hunt. Theres a nice big basin in there and if you glass long enough you might even see a bear, I saw alot of tracks and one set of huge bear tracks but I did not see any bears, however I wasn't looking for one either.

Another alternative is to catch a water taxi , that will drop you off down the river, but there is alot of brush to go through and "Devils club" but it will put you into some sheep...good luck

How about the alaska range,maybe mystic pass,i here there's a good population of rams with a 40 plus comming out of there this season.....ps k2 aviation has good prices...
    I ♥ Big Sheep

Default Fireweed Mt.

Your best bet is to go to McCarthy and cross Ruth Glacier up to Fireweed mt.
    It is preserve. I don't think the guides have many hunters in there this year.
    You have a much greater chance at seeing sheep.
    TCUA is masters' class sheep hunting with maybe 5-10 legal rams out of 200 sheep in the entire unit. Most of these are tied up by August 20th. You could follow Kahahawai's advice and would be more likely to see a legal ram from his advice. You are basically hunting O'Brien Creek Drainage. The South Area is brutal. The F&G decided that they didn't have to make it into a permit area because it was so tough to get into.

Default please correct me if I'm wrong...

But was explained to me you couldn't hunt the preserve. Can hunt the wilderness areas but not the preserve. It's been a while, so I could be wrong.

Default Yes you can.

You can hunt in the preserve. Paul Claus flies wealthy hunters into the preserve all the time. He guided a flatfooted contractor on a goat hunt on the Alaska Experiment. You can't hunt in the hard park unless you are a local resident of the established subsistence communities or have a 13-44 Traditional Subsistence Permit to participate in customary and traditional activities in the park established before the D2 land determinations in 1981.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Numbers are up over there as well. Wolf trapper in 11 is kicking butt.

Default I stand corrected...

AND went back to re-read the regs..... imagine that, did my own research!! lol

Can't hunt the PARK, can hunt the preserve and wilderness.

Park - preserve ... they both start with P.... and I've slept at least once between looking at it and now...

thanks.

Default thanks for all the info

what a great forum. you are all great. call me hardheaded (many do!) but i really just want to go in on own power and try to avoid those coming in by plane or 4x4. have any of you tried to get into southern part of tonsina cua off the richardson? it looks burly but i may try to get above treeline near where little tonsina comes to highway. or into area farther south near teikel but that looks like more difficult to get to steeper terrain toward east. i can deal with glaciers once up high. thoughts?

Default Be Aware

I kind of want to steer you the right way. I have been poor with much time and a strong desire to walk in. There is a guide. He is a decent guy. He has two camps in the area that you wish to go. There aren't many sheep in the Halley Drainage. The advice of hitting the North Side isn't idle. It is probably your best shot.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Default My Thoughts

My thoughts are that you can either go prepared to walk on glaciers OR you can go prepared to do a sheep hunt, but trying to mix the two is awfully risky. Walking on glaciers isn't to be taken lightly. Be cautious and know what's at stake.

Default glacier

I agree with caza the gear you need to travel on glaciers safely is tremendous and take up all your pack weight, not to mention training you should have before you go, hunt hard, but hunt smarter, good luck.

okay, good advice from all appreciated greatly. i have spent much time on glaciers but you are right about weight and especially if successful. earlier post indicated some legal sheep in glacier areas in southern tonsina cua but wasn't planning on crossing. still considering walking in to trail/lost creek area or soda lake and nothern area tonsina cua 13d. we'll see, i'll check back in to let you know how it went. thanks for all the advice and encouragement.