Thread: Black tail deer!!!!?

Default Black tail deer!!!!?

Was wondering if you can hunt black tails out of whittier? Has anyone had any luck in that area? Any info shared would be great. Thanks

Yeah man whittier is the gateway to the PWS besides valdeez and cordova. You can find deer anywhere in the sound but i would look at knight island and green island.

Im not going to get to specific because a trip out to PWS for deer is going to require a lot of planning nobody can do for you but yourself.

Unless of course you want to take someone along who knows the Sound really well (ahem). That would maybe make the planning a little easier.

-Brian

i have a buddy with a boat for sale.....................................

Default black tails

I've hunted black bears for years out of whittier and while we occasionaly see some tracks in the snow here and there it really isn't a place i would hunt for deer at. You need to get to the bigger islands to the south.
    Justin

It really depends on where in the Sound you're hunting them at. If you're bear hunting on the mainland, it makes sense that you wouldn't see many tracks. On many of the islands out there, however, there are plenty of deer to make for a good hunting trip. I have a friend who just recently got back - out of their group of 4 they took 17 deer in 3 days. Not bad at all, and no trip down south necessary!

-Brian

Default Get some black tail!

Hey Bm as soon as I plan on a 4 day weekend to go get some deer I will let you know. It's always nice learning from someone with experience. Do you think a 16' boat will get us were we need to be? If needed I can arange 2 16' boats. Take it easy

16' would be pretty iffy in the Sound in the winter. If you were going out in August you would be fine, but the weather can be notoriously nasty in the fall and winter. With a nice weather window it would be doable, especially to a closer island like Perry or maybe Naked, but still...sketchy at best.

-Brian

I saw no deer in main bay all summer, of course no bears either just a couple of really loud geese. I have been told that they love the passes around the area though
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

There aren't nearly as many deer on the mainland, a_p_m. They were only transplanted to the islands, though small numbers have moved onto the mainland. I've got a friend who setnets in Main Bay, and in two seasons I think he has seen a deer or two.

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by B_M View Post
    There aren't nearly as many deer on the mainland, a_p_m. They were only transplanted to the islands, though small numbers have moved onto the mainland. I've got a friend who setnets in Main Bay, and in two seasons I think he has seen a deer or two.

-Brian
    Brian, The deer in the sound were released on Hawkins Island and populared the Sound by swimming. The main reason the mainland deer are less numerous is the deeper snow combined with way more predators. There are some pockets with quite a few deer on the mainland though.

Didn't realize it was only Hawkins. Thanks for the info.

-Brian

-Brian

Who's your friend? I setnet there last summer

Scott Thomas. Know him?

As for me, I longline out of Whittier, so I pass through the area a lot. Our boat was out of commission last year, but we'll be back at it this summer.

-Brian

Motorboatn -
    I just came back from a successful hunt on Knight Island on Fri/Sat. The water/weather in the Sound was great, but Passage Canal was horrific on Sat evening...intense wind, heavy seas and freezing spray...the last 3 miles to the harbor were not fun. A 16' boat is not a good way to go. Good luck, the deer were reasonably plentiful and down on the beaches.

LR

Lion - Welcome to the forums! Any chance you have pictures of stories to share?

-Brian

Scott Thomas. Know him?

As for me, I longline out of Whittier, so I pass through the area a lot. Our boat was out of commission last year, but we'll be back at it this summer.

-Brian

Know him hell yea. He taught me in High School, was my swim and ski coach for a year and my best friend was his deckhand two summers ago. I worked for a different guy who lives down here last year. Hoping to get a permit of my own for next summer though.