Thread: The rain

Default The rain

Well I'm outa here some time after I've had my coffee in the morn.

Man where did this rain come from?

Last time it was like this it did it for 3 weeks straight.

Good thing it only takes me a couple of hours to get to the cabin, tho I'm still going to be wet.

I know I'm b----ing and I should'nt be, heck in my younger years I could spend 2-3 days geting to where I was going, and seemed like most of the time was in the rain.

Good luck all, and if you do turn your moose over to shield it from the rain,( the cavity ) make dang sure that you take the jugular out, that goes for all of you out there. That will spoil your meat overnight.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

ES you take care.. .it is rather crappy here in town .. high winds up on the hills... and dumping... i can only imagine what the wind is like there...

be carful season is long enough. .you DONT HAVE to be there opening day...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Talking Blame It On the The Rain!

As Mili Vinili said.......Blame it on the rain cause its falling falling (no kidding I am wet! I hunted today and saw noooooooooooooooothing.) Blame it on the sun because it shines so bright! Any way have fun and be sure to pack your survival suites for those of you taking on the mighty Yukon River!

Thanks Vince, you be careful to and good luck.

Yes, the rain turns to snow by the second week of September sometimes. It happens where I hunt at near Fairbanks. Hopefully it will dry a little by the second week, because the rain creates a lot of fog in the cool mornings, and I can't see anything past 50 yards.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AlcanRon View Post
    As Mili Vinili said.......Blame it on the rain cause its falling falling (no kidding I am wet! I hunted today and saw noooooooooooooooothing.) Blame it on the sun because it shines so bright! Any way have fun and be sure to pack your survival suites for those of you taking on the mighty Yukon River!
    MIili Vinili... SAID anything? i thought they just moved their mouth...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post

Man where did this rain come from?

Global Warming!

Yep, rain doesn't bode well for keeping meat dry. Good luck with moose hunting.

Tim

Default Movement

How is this rain going to effect the movement of the moose?

Every moose I've shot has been in the rain. They seem to move more, and the rain muffles the sounds of your movement, making it easier to get close to one.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Every moose I've shot has been in the rain. They seem to move more, and the rain muffles the sounds of your movement, making it easier to get close to one.
    Interesting, I have just the oppostie experience. I've been in on over 20-25 moose kills and not a one in the rain. I also tend to see more moose when its raining. Just can't see them as well from inside the tent. But when I stay out and glass in the rain I seems like once it stops the moose get up and move around me has been my experience anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Interesting, I have just the oppostie experience. I've been in on over 20-25 moose kills and not a one in the rain. I also tend to see more moose when its raining. Just can't see them as well from inside the tent. But when I stay out and glass in the rain I seems like once it stops the moose get up and move around me has been my experience anyways.
    Well Luke a lot of that depend on where you hunt.

the mat valley and south is nothing but rain in the fall, and they are always in it...

where in the interior... it is hit or miss and the moose tend to bed down in the rain. and be up moving in the AM as the predawn is the coldest part of the dark...

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

the mat valley and south is nothing but rain in the fall, and they are always in it...

where in the interior... it is hit or miss and the moose tend to bed down in the rain. and be up moving in the AM as the predawn is the coldest part of the dark...
    HAHA thats true. I guess that'd be like folks in SE AK saying I shoot more deer in the rain. The climate could come into play for sure.

Here in the mat valley it has only sprinkled a couple of times since opening day. Dry conditions and most all trails are in great shape. Last few years haven't had a whole lot of rain in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

Everything you do in Ketchikan is usually in the rain. I've definitely shot more deer in the rain than not in the rain.

When you layout in the sun to get a tan you end up with rust.