Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Browning HP 9mm

Default Browning HP 9mm

Bought this pistol awhile back, after a previous owner had installed a Cylinder & Slide trigger, hammer, sear and spring kit in it. The pistol will not drop the hammer unless I push on the side of the slide. Anyone experience this? What's the fix? The original parts are not available to put back in it......

Default HP problens

Sounds like one of the springs is not allowing the trigger to move far enough back to move the transfer lever in the slide that trip the sear.

Pull the slide off and look at the bottom of the slide on the extractor side and you will see the transfer bar. You can see where it pivots off the trigger mechanism and pushed down on the sear to drop the hammer. Look at all the parts carefully and you should be able to figure out what is going on inside.

You can also find an exploded parts diagram on the web somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    Bought this pistol awhile back, after a previous owner had installed a Cylinder & Slide trigger, hammer, sear and spring kit in it. The pistol will not drop the hammer unless I push on the side of the slide. Anyone experience this? What's the fix? The original parts are not available to put back in it......
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

If you are not able to figure it out on your own, Wild West Guns installed all of the cylinder and slide parts on my Hi power. They will probably be able to figure out what is going on with your gun.

With or without a magazine in the gun? Some of the C&S kits remove the mag safety, others don't. If it's a bungled job, they may have left the safety and now pressure on the slide can let the hammer fall without a mag present...

Here's a quick online schematic: http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...=0630zHI-POWER
    Last edited by Diesel Nut; 08-30-2009 at 22:15. Reason: Add schematic link

Default A bit more...

It's still got the C&S trigger in it, as well as the sear, but it appears that the original Browning hammer is installed. Transfer bar is the original. The trigger that's in there is one that eliminates the magazine disconnect. Have what appears to be free movement on the transfer bar, and I see no evidence that it's been out, however, the wear mark on the bar from the trigger link don't hit on the small recess that's cut in the slide.
    I sure do like these pieces, one of the 'old school' pistols that when I was younger I could actually get my hands around and shoot reliably and accurately. Back then, I was plagued with stovepipe jams and short stroke FTF's with any 1911 I picked up unless I went with the Weaver or other two hand hold. The Browning just went bang, every time.
    I might have to pay the freight to have it fixed right, cuz there ain't anyone around these parts who I'd trust with it. Rifle 'smiths, yes, but pistols, not necessarily, and freight to Anchorage ain't much more than freight anywhere else in the country!!!
    Thanks, fellas, I preciate the answers!!!

Default Update...

On a lark, I removed the slide, double folded a small piece of paper that I then inserted between the trigger link and the frame, reinstalled the slide, and it then functioned through about a hundred cycles! Now to figure out how to make the thing work on a permanent basis. Could bevel the edges in the slide in the mortise where the trigger bar rides, or try to bend or bevel the trigger link so it'll go into the groove reliably.....

Dude you need to take that to a gunsmith

Smile Don Williams?

Many years ago I had Arizona pistol smith Don Williams customize a Browning Hi Power for me. He can fix your pistol. Don't forget to put some best grade coco bolo stocks from Craig Spegel on it.

heres my FN HP...worked by us, parts by C&S and Wayne Novak, engraving by Jim White, Teflon coated
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    heres my FN HP...worked by us, parts by C&S and Wayne Novak, engraving by Jim White, Teflon coated
    That's a darn nice looking piece. I really need to buy another HP...they just fit my hand perfectly.

Did you do the Teflon in-house?

Default Early HPs

I like the early HPs that have the slide stop like the 1911 and the pivot pin for the transfer bar off the removable plate on the right side.

All those stupid roll pins in the slide just make the guns look sooo cheap!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Nut View Post
    That's a darn nice looking piece. I really need to buy another HP...they just fit my hand perfectly.

Did you do the Teflon in-house?
    No we sent them out

Default I like it...

Nice pistol. I need to learn how to post pics.

Default Success!!

I found the box with the parts and the ten magazines that came with the deal.
    Installed the original parts last night, the trigger group with the magazine disconnect, as well as the original springs and pitched the buffer.
    Took it out today with 12 loaded magazines, 156 rounds, then reloaded the remainder of the fourth box for a total of two hundred rounds downrange. Not a single failure to feed, fire, extract or eject using CCI Blazer brass cased 115 gr. fmj's.
    In it's original configuration, the pistol stayed on a coffee can at fifty yards.

Buffers in High powers dont work

Default This one sure didn't!

Not only the buffer, but also a tinkerer trying to install the C&S trigger, hammer, sear and spring set! The C&S stuff might work great, and sure looks to be quality parts, but if I choose to have 'em in there in the future, I'll send the thing up to ya!!!
    Thanks for the help, by the way!

Here are my Hi Powers by Novak's and Ted Yost. If you need HP work done I would send it to one of them or Don Williams. I would strongly urge you to send it to someone who specializes in HPs rather than a general gunsmithing shop.

I would strongly urge you to send it to someone who specializes in HPs rather than a general gunsmithing shop.
    Well Wayne doesnt specialize in High Powers per se

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Well Wayne doesnt specialize in High Powers per se
    To the extent that anyone does I would say that Novak's does a lot of high power work. This is based on several personal visits to the shop in Parkersburg and numerous phone conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    To the extent that anyone does I would say that Novak's does a lot of high power work.
    There are a lot of pistolsmiths that do "a lot" of High Power work.

There is nothing particularly difficult about it, especially when you have great parts like the ones sold by Bill Laughridge over at C&S.

Wayne does wonderful work by the way. Im going to find another 210 for him to do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast