Thread: First grouse

Default First grouse

I harvested my first ruffed grouse last Sunday the 23rd of August. I harvested it with a Remington 870 model 12 gauge pump shotgun.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by #1grousekiller View Post
    I harvested my first ruffed grouse last Sunday the 23rd of August. I harvested it with a Remington 870 model 12 gauge pump shotgun.
    There will be many more to come. Good job.
    do you talk to yourself while hunting as well thats okay we all do...

good job on the grouse... your correct there are many more to come...

so tell us the story...

how did you come to be a first time grouse slayer? what adventures did you embark on in your jorney... and where are the photos? all boast of glory upon this forum must be documented by phots... or they do not count..

and welcome #1grousekiller... to the ODD....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

A-12GA-------------

J/K

I hate eating bb's

Good job, next time try a 22 in the head.

Again good job on the first kill.

There was a few BB"S dont have any pics didnt have a camera at the time sorry.All we have is two 12gauges we are buying a 20gauge sometime.

There was a few BB"S dont have any pics didnt have a camera at the time sorry.All we have is two 12gauges we are buying a 20gauge sometime.
    Looks like you have a dog, so please don't disrespect the dog or the grouse by using a .22! Also, if you touch up on your shot gunning skills and learn to aim for the head and follow through your shot, you won't have too much of a BB problem. I only had to pluck a couple BB's from quite a few birds I harvested this year! Great job, and keep at it!

Congratulations! Keep some good notes on your first hunt. Some day you will appreciate having them. Not a bad idea to keep a diary of all of your outdoor pursuits. And that 12 gauge will work just fine, just shoot one ounce loads of shot and it will perform like a 20 gauge, only better. But a 20 gauge gun might be lighter weight and easier to carry, the only real reason to buy one. You have a long outdoor life ahead. Enjoy every moment. Come back often and let us know how you are doing.

What a coincidence. I saw my first ruffed grouse in Alaska today. I didn't manage to harvest him, but he was certainly the prettiest bird I've seen. Back home, if anyone ever said he was going grouse hunting, it meant he had been cooped up inside too long and needed a long walk. There was no chance of seeing a grouse, much less killing one. I love Alaska.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Thanks, i didn't harvest any this year but my dad harvested a few. I also got a new pellet gun for my birthday. It should work, it has 1400 fps. He harvested a beautiful spruce grouse. I had a bead on the back of the birds head but he flew, and my dad harvested him. Blew his tail feathers off took a little bit of plucking out of the job.

Rem 870, my kind of gun! Congrats.

yeah. they shoot well,and they don't really have a kick. You can use them for almost anything birds,ducks,bears,ect.