Thread: How many games bags should I bring?

Question How many games bags should I bring?

My buddy and I age going to Montague to hunt deer and bear later this fall. I have never deer hunted and know deer are much smaller than moose/caribou. How many game bags do I need per deer? Can I reasonably get one deer in 3 caribou size game bags-on the bone?

Any suggestions?

Tim

Default more small ones

If it were me I'd bring more small ones so you don't have to put more than a quarter in bag. That way the meat will breath better without it resting against another chunk.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

I was thinking with bigger one's I could put in a quarter width-wise, twist the bag and throw in another quarter width-wise. I have a lot of caribou size bags and a few moose bags. Breathability is a concern.

How big are deer quarters, lengthwise-on the bone?

Tim

Default length

Someone else will have to help you there as I'v not hunted black tails.

Your system sounds like it would work. I'm sure a moose bag would fit a length wise dear quarter. I'm a guy that kind likes to have a meat bag that fits loosely around the quarter though.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

I've packed a few mule deer and deer quarters are extremely small the fronts have hardly any meat on them if your thinking of packing them and its legal i would bone them out. the hinds are where the meat is at and even those aren't all that big you can easily fit all in one moose bag. however, as some have pointed out it won't cool or dry as easliy. i doubt theres even 70 lbs of meat on a big black tail it's a pretty easy one man job. good luck

Default Bags

Tim the sideways method should work for you a deer quarter is roughly 24 inches. I would use zip ties instead of twisting though to keep it simple. Nice Montague buck should be 100-120# on the hoof.

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Tim the sideways method should work for you a deer quarter is roughly 24 inches. I would use zip ties instead of twisting though to keep it simple. Nice Montague buck should be 100-120# on the hoof.

Gooch
    Zip ties are a great idea. I should have enough game bags since I have moose and caribou/elk size game bags. I'm was more worried about if we actually shot 5 deer apiece. Since were going mid-Oct. (before the snow?) I thought it may be more realistic that we could get 2-3 apiece since we'll be hoofing it to/from the mountains. Sounds like they are pretty light though.

Tim

Default Cheep Pillow case's

I would bring/use cheep (Wal-Mart special) pillow case’s. I would hate it if a bear ran off with one game bag and got my whole deer. Just my nickel.

Drew

Quote Originally Posted by Toddler View Post
    I would bring/use cheep (Wal-Mart special) pillow case’s. I would hate it if a bear ran off with one game bag and got my whole deer. Just my nickel.

Drew
    That is a valid point! I'd hate for that to actually happen, I don't think I'd put more than two quarters in a bag. So, it sounds like I can get by with 3-4 bags/deer, and one big moose bag for a brownie!

Tim

I took pillow cases. A boned out deer will easily fit in one king sized pillow case. Two pillow cases will hold a deer with all the bones. In October there will be no issues with putting two rear quarters in one bag and two fronts and trimmings in the other. It will be plenty cool enough.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I took pillow cases. A boned out deer will easily fit in one king sized pillow case. Two pillow cases will hold a deer with all the bones. In October there will be no issues with putting two rear quarters in one bag and two fronts and trimmings in the other. It will be plenty cool enough.
    Good one. So...if my buddy doesn't have ANY gamebags right now, I'm getting the notion I should let him in on the option of some cheap, large, Walmart pillow cases, unless he wants to buy something else.

Tim