Thread: The pre rut is on!

Default The pre rut is on!

Went out glassing with my daughter Friday night and found this guy right away a little over a mile out..

It was real fun watching him follow her around..

I ended up getting his attention with a long loud cow moan..

Really had him going and after this shot he started a steady trot straight towards us..

Pulled him with in 50 yards and at one point had him really raking the alders..

Nothing even close to being legal. I put him at 43"'s and a 1x2..

Right on!!! Only 6 more days until I'm moose hunting for 10 days!!! Great pics. Thanks

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i hope this copyed over....

i am guessing less then 40 here steve... those antler BARLY pass his ears...i would have said 36... but you were there.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Still awsome, you could be stuck at work like me.... Thanks for posting the pics..

Yeah those tweener bulls seem to get horned up too early.
    This reminds me, am I the only one that doesn't think the long cow calls has anything to do w/ the them being love sick and calling for a bull. Every time I have witnessed them make that long moan they were protesting a small bulls unwanted advances.
    Just my observation.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Yeah those tweener bulls seem to get horned up too early.
    This reminds me, am I the only one that doesn't think the long cow calls has anything to do w/ the them being love sick and calling for a bull. Every time I have witnessed them make that long moan they were protesting a small bulls unwanted advances.
    Just my observation.

Jon i have a slight ly different experiance from thos laong calls early in the season....

they usually occure while i am shooting or just after i have dumped that little guy... she will hang out and call to him for 30 min or so often...

i honestly think those older cows try to train those lil guys to avoid us....

i have been finding velvet for over a week now here... and it is common for our to be out of velvet by AUG 25 a lot of years... i had a cow come running to a lil bull grunt the other night... first time for that.....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince I've heard the same thing of the cows whining after I've shot two different moose. Both were shot a 1/2 hour before dark so the cow calling a couple hundred yards away was kind of eerie.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Vince I've heard the same thing of the cows whining after I've shot two different moose. Both were shot a 1/2 before dark so the cow calling a couple hundred yards away was kind of eerie.
    LOL same here... i have always been more worried about those cows coming in then a bear!!!

meet on face book here

My dad shot one about a 55"er in front of his place, and the cow he was with came over and kicked it in the head, and when it did'nt move for her, she put her nose in the air , like well you ar'nt going to do me no good, and just walked off. Funny how that works.

That is a true story by the way.

Default Pre-Rut

I saw four bulls last Friday, and none had velvet peeling yet. The largest was slightly smaller than yours, so it's cool to see the difference among size/age classes on the same day... probably in the same region. What time did you start seeing activity?

Default one of these years...

I gotta tell you guys, I have spent quite a bit of time in the woods down here and covered lots of ground and see NO WHERE NEAR the activity that you all are...I'm beginning to wonder if I am doing something wrong or if it's really that there just aren't the numbers down here in the Homer area?????

Come to think of it, I've seen more moose in my yard and on my way to and from work than I have while out hunting for them

If it's just that I need to find a higher concentration of them, one of these years I'm going to make a trip of it!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    I gotta tell you guys, I have spent quite a bit of time in the woods down here and covered lots of ground and see NO WHERE NEAR the activity that you all are...I'm beginning to wonder if I am doing something wrong or if it's really that there just aren't the numbers down here in the Homer area?????

Come to think of it, I've seen more moose in my yard and on my way to and from work than I have while out hunting for them

If it's just that I need to find a higher concentration of them, one of these years I'm going to make a trip of it!
    Hmmm....last time I drove around the Cohoe Loop road north of Ninilchick, I had to brake many times, to avoid hitting one. Early in the morning, around that loop and you will see moose.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

No your probably closer then me Vince. Out of 3 bulls we spotted this weekend, he was the biggest. Called another small 3x3 to the tree stand that bedded down and wouldn't leave. Every time I would start the moaning he would stand up thinking he was going to get some. At one point I brought up my arms and tried to "challenge" him. He stood his gound. Also seen at least a doz cows spread out. Little Kara got in some great calling experince. I swear, give a little kid a bull magnet and give them a few pointers and you will have the best cow call ever!

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    No your probably closer then me Vince. Out of 3 bulls we spotted this weekend, he was the biggest. Called another small 3x3 to the tree stand that bedded down and wouldn't leave. Every time I would start the moaning he would stand up thinking he was going to get some. At one point I brought up my arms and tried to "challenge" him. He stood his gound. Also seen at least a doz cows spread out. Little Kara got in some great calling experince. I swear, give a little kid a bull magnet and give them a few pointers and you will have the best cow call ever!

NOW thats the truth about the kids...

my girls are GREAT at the calling... but as they reach the teen years...

SOME ONE MIGHT HEAR THEM!!!LOL

meet on face book here