Thread: 40 Mile River.....?

Default 40 Mile River.....?

looking for some info on the 40 Mile, I have been up the Taylor Hwy and have noticed the river (So. Fork) not far out of Chicken, and I see on the map the road to Eagle crosses the the main river.
    Does any one know if there is a boat landing at either location? or a better alternative?
    How far can one go with a ob jet, (20 foot boat) up the N. fork?
    Thanks.... will appreciate any info I can get.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    looking for some info on the 40 Mile, I have been up the Taylor Hwy and have noticed the river (So. Fork) not far out of Chicken, and I see on the map the road to Eagle crosses the the main river.
    Does any one know if there is a boat landing at either location? or a better alternative?
    How far can one go with a ob jet, (20 foot boat) up the N. fork?
    Thanks.... will appreciate any info I can get.
    Boat launches at both locations. The north fork is navigable up to the KINK. Can't get through the kink. Lots of caribou, bear and moose through both stretches. Also, decent grayling and pike fishing. Not by running or drifting, but by stopping along the way and getting up on a vantage point and glassing. There is one small set of rapids, but nothing extreme and pretty short. You can pick your way around and through it, if you know anything at all about river running.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Akres,
    Thanks for the reply, its been difficult to turn up any info, so I really appreciate it.
    Do you know anything about current river conditions? My hunting pard talked to the Tok area biologist and she? said the 40 mile is really low due to lack of rain?
    Thanks again
    TR

Wink

I haven't been on it this fall. Early june it was fine, but that was a lllllong time ago as far as river conditions go. A couple days rain can make all the difference in the world. It is fairly easy to distinquish, at the launches, by looking at the mean high water marks along the river banks.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Very few moose

I just talked to a friend that lives on the forty-mile river and the river is high right now from the rain, It can drop two feet in one night though so if you go keep a close eye on the weather. I have spent a lot of time on that river in the last 40 years(family that mines on the river) and have floated or boated every mile of it, and I hunt every year and it's one of the last places I would pick to hunt moose. Very low moose population, and the river is to unpredictable in the fall, It can leave you high and dry. Also the launch at mile 112.5 can be difficult

Thanks for the info, however not particuarily encouraging, any thoughts on the Nebesna?
    How far can you go? Reasonably?
    Parking in N-way or athe airport OK?
    Thanks
    TR

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Thanks for the info, however not particuarily encouraging, any thoughts on the Nebesna?
    How far can you go? Reasonably?
    Parking in N-way or athe airport OK?
    Thanks
    You can boat all the way to the Hard Park on the Nebezna. But there are way fewer moose there than on the Forty Mile. My experience tells me for Moose/Caribou go to Forty Mile. For Sheep go to Nebezna. Bears can be had on both rivers, so it's a toss up for them. On the Nebezna, launch at the Northway Village and park your tow vehicle at the FAA Station back down the road.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~