Thread: Dog size question...

Default Dog size question...

I am looking at Chessies....

Is there any correlation between the size of a puppy and how large it will grow?

If a puppy is very small compared to his litter mates will he generally be a smaller adult compared to his littermates?

I realize that sometimes the runt of a litter could end up being the largest adult but is that generally not the case?

I am asking the question because I am getting a new dog and it looks like my only choice is going to be the smallest dog in the litter. He is also the mellowest. I want a dog on the larger size of his breed. I do not want a passive dog either. I do want a dog that will be good with the family however.

I appreciate any input....thanks
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Bigger is not better IMO. That's after having had very large, large, medium, and compact Chessies over the years. Have you thought about getting one of the females instead? I look more for a bold, outgoing pup that makes good eye contact, doesn't get scared when separated from the litter, wants to chase a ball or wing, is curious, etc. -- rather than male vs. female. If you get a female, just get her spayed & you won't have to worry about oops breedings & such.

Best of luck to you, tjm, and hope you get the right puppy for you & your family!!

Karen

thanks for the input......

I have heard that bigger is not better several times and do believe that is the case....we just prefer a larger dog, not sure why, but we do...lol...maybe we just want a little more dog to wrap our arms around......

I hope to see you around soon, I'm going to need all the help I can get to do a good job training the new pup...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....