Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: What Boots?

  1. #1

    Default What Boots?

    So I am going to fish steelhead this fall and need a new pair of boots as the ones I have now are studded and the outfitter does not allow studded boots. I was wondering what you guys would recommend. I want a good sturdy felt soled boot that will be comfortable for all day walking in cold and rocky water. I will be wearing scierra CC6 waders with them.

    Thanks,

    Armo

  2. #2
    Member alaskachuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,256

    Default

    I just bought the Korkers guide model. IMO I would not own any other boot. Simms are a great boot but I like the lace cable system on the Korkers plus the soles are interchangable from rubber to felt to studs in about 3 minutes
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

  3. #3
    Member AkTrouter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Keep in mind that if you ever plan to fish the Southeast for Steelies or Salmon, they have outlawed felt soled boots in 2010 or 2011, can't remember exactly which year...

    But as alaskachuck stated, Korkers are very nice, I love mine...

  4. #4
    Member alaskachuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AkTrouter View Post
    Keep in mind that if you ever plan to fish the Southeast for Steelies or Salmon, they have outlawed felt soled boots in 2010 or 2011, can't remember exactly which year...

    But as alaskachuck stated, Korkers are very nice, I love mine...

    Plus you can change out the soles. From felt to rubber to lugs. the soles are only about 25 bucks a piece. I have both the rubber and the felt. I just bought mine 3 weeks ago. i was a die hard felt guy but the rubber soles worked like felt for me on the slick ass russian and I had no issues on the kenai in them at all. top knotch boot in my eyes

    Plus they are so light weight and they drain the water out in no time flat. It is not like wearing any other boot i have found.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

  5. #5

    Default fit?

    Chuck,

    How do yours fit? I live in Healy and will have to get them on-line without trying them on. I normally wear a 10 or 11 in work boots/shoes. Did you get the exact korker size that you wear in shoes? Thanks for your input.

    Matt

  6. #6
    Member alaskachuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armo_Ak View Post
    Chuck,

    How do yours fit? I live in Healy and will have to get them on-line without trying them on. I normally wear a 10 or 11 in work boots/shoes. Did you get the exact korker size that you wear in shoes? Thanks for your input.

    Matt
    No they run a size small and a great question. I wear a 10 and bought 11's. I did try them on with my wader boot and heavy socks so a size better will do you just great. Oh and if you know someone in town including me get them in anchorage. 179.00 in town and online but it is like 30 bucks in shipping online and I can send them for about 10 bucks out of anchorage. Just my .02 worth

    The folks at Mt view sports even told me the run a size small and they were dead on. if i was you Id get a 12. Even if they are a tad loose you never know it and a heavy sock will take care of it anyway
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

  7. #7
    Member bigcox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    Posts
    1,397

    Default

    Another vote for Korkers here....I have the streamborns, but I'm gonna pick up the Guide Models for next season for sure....Very Comfortable, my feet never hurt, even when I'm on them all day long...

    Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...


    http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

  8. #8

    Default

    Korkers. Get 'em a size big.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    79

    Default Korker Guide Boots

    I just fished for a week with a flyfisher from Australia who had spent five weeks fishing on various U.S. streams. He wore Korker Guide boots for his fishing trip of a lifetime and by the time he got here the boots were completely blown out. Before he got to Alaska he ordered some of the Simms G-4 boots with the Vibram soles and had them delivered to my mail box. The Simms boots worked very well for his fishing here.

    I don't think that the Korkers boots were new when he started his fishing trip. He seemed to be satisfied with how long they had lasted. He saved his soles and pitched the boots, saying that he would probably buy some more of the Korkers in the future.

  10. #10

    Wink

    For late season fishing, it is best to use a large pair of Bunny Boots on the waders. You can fish all day and stay comfortable.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    33

    Default

    I have the gray & black korkers with the cables.Got them last year & the side of the right boot is blowing out.Now it's back to my old simms that are 7 years old..One more thing,if you get sand or silt in the knob for the cables it jacks them up.

  12. #12

    Default hey akres

    Any idea where I could get a cheaper pair of these bunny boots you speak of?

    Matt

  13. #13

    Default

    I too wear the Korker Guides and have 3 years on them without problems. They do however run about 2 sizes small for most people, I have sold a few that only took one size up but 99% of them are two sizes, I wear a size 12 shoe and have to wear a 14 Korker. Other brands are pretty much one size up. They are light and comfortable and a pure breeze to take off after a long day on the water.

  14. #14

    Default

    anybody have any good or bad things to say about simms streamtread soles? I'm looking at picking up a pair before a few trips on the kenai this fall.

  15. #15

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Armo_Ak View Post
    Any idea where I could get a cheaper pair of these bunny boots you speak of?

    Matt
    There is a guy that sells used ones out of a truck on the Parks Hwy at Mile 49. There are a couple places in Anchorage that sell them, but I don't know where they are located. This trick was taught to me by the guys that work the fish hatcheries for the Aqua-Culture Associations. Best boots you can use in early spring or late fall. Bar none. You will not be making a fashion statement on the river, but your feet will thank you for it.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  16. #16
    Member woodman6437's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bethel
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    anybody have any good or bad things to say about simms streamtread soles? I'm looking at picking up a pair before a few trips on the kenai this fall.
    I got a pair for my steelie trip this fall. They grip well for a rubber soled boot and are great for hiking in, however I don't think they grip nearly as well as felt. They are good for the environment though, which will be a comforting thought as I am swimming down the river. I know that on the Kenai I was stumbling about quite a bit. I think they are great for small rivers where you are doing a lot of hiking and won't have to do many wades in swift/deep water, but not so much for larger swifter water where you will be doing a lot of deep and swift wading.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •