Thread: portable farms

Default portable farms

has anyone every heard of the is company called portable farms ..there website is ..www.portablefarms.com

here is there phone number --1-800-952-6224...1-760-751-4156..that the owners phones that that they had listed on the website ..
    google the name portable farms and see what comes up ..

they have a system where you can grow vetagables all year round with a set up of fish tank and growing beds inside a greenhouse system with fish and vegs togerther in a 10-x-20.ft set up ..

the system they use is call a aquaponics set up with a fish called a low fat white fish called Tilapia ..
    they say is a sweet tasteing fish that very good ...and they say to use a warm water typle of fish units ..

along with a outside garden for use in the summer time along with local hunting of moose and other game aninals it looks like a good set up for use ..
    i was wondering if you could use a small solar or wind power system set up for the unit to work with for off the grid system ..

for a combo three items for use in growing and harvesting your own food items as need

Ahh Henry aren't you a former law enforcement person? This is the setup high end pot farmers have been using for decades!!! The fish provide high nitrogen fertilizer for your plants and food for you. Personally I don't care for tilapia sort of a trashy cousin to a goldfish. No arguing that the system works great and produces high yields, about time folks took some advice from the folks who are best at growing large amounts of plant material in a very small area!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

i never saw one like that before ..in my time i saw a lot of pot fields in my time but never a set up like ..
    saw a great set up that was hydrophonics unit for growing bud .. but no fish farm set up ..
    saw a great set up in the forrest where the guy had taped a stream that funneled water out to the grow area ..
    i dealt with a lot of meth typle labs beening in the midwest area ..the area iam in there is a lot meth but never any bud growing

Those where the commercial guys, not the upper end specialty growers, hippies tend to be very eco friendly and the system is definitely that. It dose work great once you get a balance of fish to plant and it is a wonderful system. I was just surprised you hadn't seen it before. Like I said this system has allot of potential for legal farming and it's about time the general public had access to it! Not sure if it would work in a bush setting though. It tends to have higher energy costs than is realistic for yield in off the grid settings. Unless your getting $300+ a ounce!

This thread is headed for disaster I just know it! To bad there is allot of valuable info to be had here.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I looked into this a few years back. Like you said, it is not really worth the energy you put into it. It does make a good experiment for the kids though. I used our 60 gallon fish tank to grow some lettuce. It worked ok at first but I couldn't get the lettuce to fill out. Then the cat decided to investigate. Needless to say, the cat won that one. We finally got rid of that cat...then I went out of town for a couple of weeks and came home to a new cat.
    Anyway, the ironic thing about some of the systems I have seen is you essentially feed the fish fertilizer. The fertilizer feeds the algae that the fish eats, then the fish poop feeds the plants. I came to the conclusion that, why don't you just feed the plants directly? That way, you have control on what the plants eat. Also it requires less energy because you are not pumping and filtering the water for the fish. Besides that, Tilapia taste like aquarium water smells. Not very appetizing...
    That's what she said...

Tilapia are vegetarians and there food is dried seaweed flakes...sounds allot like compost don't it?

Mat also hit on another problem, the system doesn't produce enough phosphates on its own leading to big plants with less than expected fruit.
    BHA Member

like i said i seen the higher end units but never like that typle of set up ..

most of the grow ops that we had to raid where set up like little kingdoms where each section grew it own bud and the takeing care of the plant fel to a small group of people in the grow operation set up..

along with quietly sneak up on the growers for they had out trip wires and other things to slow you down incomeing to the liveing and growing areas..

run across one booby trap of a homemade i.e,d,unit on the back trail comeing into the guy home that was growing pot in the forrest area back of his land for he had hollowed out the center of the land on the house sit on and was growing right in the middle ..

the only way someone could see it was from the air and the that how it was spoted

we watched and waited intill the supplies where going out to the area then that when we whould hit the growing operation ..

some where set up pretty nice with solar elec and windmills for powering the basic lights and other pumps out there in the growing area and some of the power for the liveing quaters ..

with meth labs it was diff you knew the typles when see them and you had pretty good chance of catching them into the act of makeing meth