Thread: Slab insulation above grade ideas?

Question Slab insulation above grade ideas?

Does anybody have some input on concrete slab insulation above grade?
    I am building a greenhouse and finished the slab Friday. I am stripping the forms today and want to bring the insulation from the spread footer to the top of slab so my in floor heat doesn't get lost.

The slab will extend about 4" above grade with 8" below to the footer. I was thinking of just running the blue board to the top, but in time that will degrade into little chunks of blue bits.
    I plan on running about an 8" wide strip of pea gravel around the slab and need an idea for extending the insulation higher than that to preserve the heat.

Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

I was going to mention that but didn't want to butt in. The IRC 2006 indicates a design for insulated slabs on grade can be used when not attached to non heated structures or structures with sub grade basements etc. The insulfoam is installed on the inside of your form prior to placement of the concrete to a depth of 16"- 24" then an additional 24"-32" is installed horizontally at the bottom of that depth out away from the footing after the form is removed. The photos below was a very large slab but the concept is the same although the excavation was done with machinery for the horizontal part of the insulation. The total insulation is "supposed" to ad up to 48" 24" down and 24" out...typically the thickness is doubled to 4" at the corners of the building and at any wide openings like garage doors. (doubled horizontal..not vertical)

Breeden 097.jpg

Breeden 105.jpg

Of course this would require that your form be set 2 inches out to accommidate the foam which would need to be covered with flashing after the walls are stood up on the slab.

Your blue foam board will be fine so long as you keep the sun off it. Side or flash over it and you should be fine.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Good info

Flashing!
    Duh. Thanks guys, for the easy fix.
    I had considered placing the foam inside the form, but talked myself out of it cause the siding or flashing idea hadn't popped into my pea brain.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it