Thread: .375 Weatherby Lives!

Default .375 Weatherby Lives!

First time out with my massaged .375 Weatherby; was reworked by Jim Brockman.

I fired some fire-forming rounds of 235gr Speer cheapo slugs over 78 grains IMR-4350 using CCI-250 primers. I was much surprised to see the 10-shot group about 6 inches in diameter. They used to not hit the target, and my targets are pieces of cardboard box (about 18"x24"), with a Magic-Marker dot in the center.

After some adjustment I popped off a couple rounds of 300gr. Barnes TSX over 76 grains H414 for 2536fps average. More adjustments to the Meopta 2x8 ranging scope and had three bullet-holes touching, and about 1" high.

I had three rounds of GS Custom 265 grainers over 88gr. of some powder, which I need to find that little green book; had two holes touching and one flyer. Velocities here were 2886, 2895, and last (the flyer), 2869. Hhmmmm. Need to make some more of these.

Long and short of it: I like this rifle now. It began as a plain ZKK-602 imported from a fellow in Kamloops B.C. Had it re-chambered to .375 W, only to find out three months later that Weatherby was reintroducing the round. So much for exclusivity.
    Brockman found the receiver was twisted 0.065", plus a couple of other minor things, the result being the rifle would ony "group" rounds. He machined a set of Talley base-blanks to fit, cut a new crown, removed the barrel recoil lug, and now this thing is great!

My loads on the 300 grain TSX are really low-end, and can be bought up almost 200fps if I care to do that. I might try later on this winter, and play with seating depth, as these bullets were seated to just touch the lands. But as it stands, I am entirely confident I can take headshots out to 175 yards. Did you hear that Marvin?

I also need to reinstall the pressure gage I had on the barrel as I want to map the progress of the pressure, using different bullets. I have some nice Sierra 300 grain spitzer boatails I'd like to use to test the ranging reticle of this scope.

Ya, I know this thread is worthless without pics, I still have the target, so I'll get it out of the boat and post it in an hour or so.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Have Brno 375 HH can feed 80 g of 4350 and a bit more if wanted with a 300g bullet . Well over 2700ft . Can I say more and boy does it shoot . Maybe Weatherby should of had a Brno action and made a 375 Rigby , but for that case 375 HH is perfection. A 300g bullet going 3000ft mmmmmmmmmmmm.

I like you call them zkk but in the old world they called them Brno.

The first version of the old Brno was tried by Ruger in their Ruger Rigby but no set trigger {**** trigger} and way too heavy.

Got the same groups from a Sako version of a .375 weatherby. 87 grains of powder and 300 grain nosler partion.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't use the set trigger this time shooting, I found Jim had done some work to the trigger, it now moves very smoothly, then stops, slightly more pressure...BANG! I kinda like it. The set trigger works very well, I'll have to use that when shooting some groups to compare if it helps or hurts.

I need to have someone make me a .375 bullet comparator so I can accurately load these projectiles just off the lands. The Weatherby throat in this one is really long, so I have the bullets seated waaaaayyyy out there. They work fine as the magazine is long, but will also be interested to see if groups open up as I back the projectiles away.

Also interesting will be to see how increasing the velocity will affect groups.

I need to find my little green book with the loading info on those GS Customs. I have some 300 grainers, and will want to fire a few rounds of those for group too.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

c
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    First time out with my massaged .375 Weatherby; was reworked by Jim Brockman.

I fired some fire-forming rounds of 235gr Speer cheapo slugs over 78 grains IMR-4350 using CCI-250 primers. I was much surprised to see the 10-shot group about 6 inches in diameter. They used to not hit the target, and my targets are pieces of cardboard box (about 18"x24"), with a Magic-Marker dot in the center.

After some adjustment I popped off a couple rounds of 300gr. Barnes TSX over 76 grains H414 for 2536fps average. More adjustments to the Meopta 2x8 ranging scope and had three bullet-holes touching, and about 1" high.

I had three rounds of GS Custom 265 grainers over 88gr. of some powder, which I need to find that little green book; had two holes touching and one flyer. Velocities here were 2886, 2895, and last (the flyer), 2869. Hhmmmm. Need to make some more of these.

Long and short of it: I like this rifle now. It began as a plain ZKK-602 imported from a fellow in Kamloops B.C. Had it re-chambered to .375 W, only to find out three months later that Weatherby was reintroducing the round. So much for exclusivity.
    Brockman found the receiver was twisted 0.065", plus a couple of other minor things, the result being the rifle would ony "group" rounds. He machined a set of Talley base-blanks to fit, cut a new crown, removed the barrel recoil lug, and now this thing is great!

My loads on the 300 grain TSX are really low-end, and can be bought up almost 200fps if I care to do that. I might try later on this winter, and play with seating depth, as these bullets were seated to just touch the lands. But as it stands, I am entirely confident I can take headshots out to 175 yards. Did you hear that Marvin?

I also need to reinstall the pressure gage I had on the barrel as I want to map the progress of the pressure, using different bullets. I have some nice Sierra 300 grain spitzer boatails I'd like to use to test the ranging reticle of this scope.

Ya, I know this thread is worthless without pics, I still have the target, so I'll get it out of the boat and post it in an hour or so.
    Where is he located? I have a ZKK 602 I was was thinking of rechambering to .378 WBY.

Gooding Idaho

www.brockmansrifles.com

I recommend his work.