Thread: From moving the shed to building a greenhouse

Wink From moving the shed to building a greenhouse

Why is it that one simple task becomes 3 very involved projects? I had a shed that blocked the view out my back door. I just wanted to jack it up and move it across the yard. After 2 weeks of work (including fence removal) we ended up replacing all of the rotted support timbers and the shed hadn't moved, except up and down. Tiring of that task I decided to knock the second story off and make it into a dock (deck, for you landlubbers).

Two weeks after that decision I had a really nice dock to hang out on.

The best part was finally having a place to put all the large glass floats and others that I had beachcombed over the years.
    During the deconstruction of the shed I had decided that the roof trusses were perfect for a future greenhouse I wanted. Split in half they would catch the sun nicely.
    Last edited by bullbuster; 08-30-2009 at 13:28. Reason: photos
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default The slab

With that behind me I was forced to get started on replacing the fence that wasn't in the way after all. With great foresight I had torn it down. The moose found it very convenient to utilize the garden long before I was ready to turn it over to them.
    Getting the 14 fence posts in meant moving the stupid roof trusses twice. I finally put them on top of the old greenhouse. While doing that I noticed that the greenhouse was about to tip over from 25 years of settling. The trusses have to come down. Not wanting to move them again I decided the smart thing to do would be to get the new greenhouse started.
    I wanted a concrete slab with in floor heat. Never having done that before didn't worry me. Just dive right in. I had a couple of buddies help excavate the dirt and install 2" blueboard, hydronic tubing and the wire mesh.

I found some neat blueboard with a concrete cap that made an excellent base for the tubing.

You can't see it here, but there is a 12" spread footer around the perimeter.

Getting the tubing and mesh in.

Then the rain came....just as we were finishing the slab.

So I decided that instead of a smooth finish, a broomed finish would work just fine. Moving the shed really compromised my fishing this year. I enjoy my time in the greenhouse and having one all winter long will make up for it. Now I just need to finish the fence fabric, install a new boiler in the house and install some "pilings" around the dock to hang the hawser line from. Install my lighting and outlets and then frame in the greenhouse and install the polycarbonate panels.
    Oh, and I leave for Juneau Tuesday night to kick off a new job at the Kensington Mine. Don't mention moose season to me...
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Talking The dock

I spend a lot of time here watching the moose and ducks around the creek. The blue jays, nuthatches and chickadees eat out of my hand. The squirrels are getting hand feed friendly.

Life is good, but I will never understand why a simple task has to turn into a summer of hard work!
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Neat. Thanks for posting those pictures. Lots of work. Keep us posted on your winter greenhouse activities.