Thread: Weather around Kotzebue

Default Weather around Kotzebue

Been watching the weather around Kotzebue and Noatak. Seems like its cooler this year than last. Anyone been up that way recently or lives in the area who knows if this weather pattern is normal or cooler? and the upsides and downsides of this weather for the hunters for Caribou?

Rain , rain, rain......

But thats normal for Augusta and windy too.

As the temps drop, it will clear up , but theres bounce in the weather, so it'll warm up again as well. Chilled cool enough that the wife stopped picking Blueberrys and moved on to the Cranberrys, as they ripen with frost.

Actaully wind and rain are better for hunting. for me anyways....

The fairweather Hunters stay home, the Caribou cant hear or smell you very well, and with a right proper breeze, its easy to close with them.

Caribou live outside 24/7 so they are smart, but you can take advantage of the senses thay use and have at 'em.

When it starts freezing at night, caribou will start to group up and move south. When it stays frozen all day, the Migration is "ON", though a spell of warm may sttop that and send them into a sleepy/lazy spell.

Good luck!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Thumbs up

I think I ate some of that caribou with meat tainted with that sleep and lazy spell stuff. Its hits me alot hot or cold so be carefull.

Default Weather?

Wheres the best place to pick up a gallon of white gas or stove fuel in Kotzebue?

You'll find something at Rotmans, the AC store, or the hardware store NAPA.
    Except for gas/pop/burger and a few small resteraunts, thats all the stores there is, but they have hunting "stuff" usually, because its a yaer round deal here.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

it's been pretty rainy on and off all day and kind of windy at times and doesn't look like its going to let up much this week according to the weather forcast. Still quite a few planes flying out though but not much visibility at times. Went for a ride earlier on the atv and it felt like hail a few times.

One thing some may find handy...

Go to www.wunderground.com and choose "trip planner" up top. Then enter Kotzebue, Noatak, etc.. and enter dates like Sept 1-15. It will pull up the last ten years or so of weather reports. Low/avg/high daily temps, rain, wind, etc.. Just a cool tool for trip planning. Especially if visiting a place you have never been or during a time you have not visited.

Below is a search for Noatak,Alaska Sept 1-15. Data is from 1995-present....

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...atename=Alaska
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default thanks

Thanks for the wunderground link. Interesting info.

with all this rain I'd be sure anybody heading up here would be wise to pack some waders and probably shouldn't be setting up camp or meat racks on an island in the river.

Default 2009 Kotzebue Weather

Aug 2009 has been cold and wet when compared to historical weather data. The average temperature through Aug 30th has been 49.8 degrees and 3.17" of rain has fallen as of 5:30 this morning (it's still raining).
    In Aug 2008, the average temperature was 50.8 degrees and just .99" of rain fell for the entire month.
    Historically, the average temperature for Kotzebue in August is 52.1 degrees and the average amount of precipitation is 2.00"

Looks like today (Monday) is gonna be a windy one! We're expecting 40mph here in Kotzebue this afternoon. The weather is forecast to improve beginning on Wednesday.