Thread: Rem 700 questions

Default Rem 700 questions

Hoping someone here can advise me on a project.
    I am planning to rebarrel a Rem SPS 257 Weatherby.
    I would like to just order a turned, threaded, chambered barrel from Douglas in 375 H&H, and pay a gunsmith to install it.
    I loaded a dummy round in 375, it fits the magazine with any bullets that I might load.
    The bolt face looks correct, am I missing something?
    Think a shorter tube around 22 in would be handy.
    Any input would be appreciated.

Jesse

Order the barrel profile that you prefer.
    Have a gunsmith thread/chamber/cut & crown it.

Keep'em in the X ring,
    Dan

www.accu-tig.com

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by JessMan View Post
    Hoping someone here can advise me on a project.
    I am planning to rebarrel a Rem SPS 257 Weatherby.
    I would like to just order a turned, threaded, chambered barrel from Douglas in 375 H&H, and pay a gunsmith to install it.
    I loaded a dummy round in 375, it fits the magazine with any bullets that I might load.
    The bolt face looks correct, am I missing something?
    Think a shorter tube around 22 in would be handy.
    Any input would be appreciated.

Jesse
    The magazine is made to feed 257 Weatherby, and I would question whether it would also reliably feed the 375 without some work. ????

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I have a .375H&H that I had built off a Remington 700, that started life as a 7-Mag. I had the barrel finished at 21 inches, and it's about perfect:

What you're talking about is just a simple rebarrel job, since you're starting with a magnum action. The feed rails & bolt face are already correct, so you just need a new barrel. I wouldn't worry about ordering a barrel that's already chambered & threaded for the 700. Just order a blank, and let the gunsmith install it from scratch.

Thanks guys,
    Will go ahead and order a blank.
    Would like to hear from you guys on favorite barrel manufactures.
    I own a Douglas tube on a 300 WM, shoots good.
    I have a Hart on a 22BR shoots really good.
    Do you think a premium barrel is as important on a 375 as it would be on a smaller caliber?

Jesse

Manufacturer is purely a matter or choice. I've had great results with Hart, Lilja, and Douglas. Krieger makes great stuff, as does Pac-Nor, but they're pretty pricey. When it comes to the big guns, generally the shooter is the weak (accuracy) link, not the equipment. What you really get in a premium bbl is consistency, ease of cleaning, and the assurance that it will provide a long useful life. I'd research the literature offered by the manufacturers, and pick the one that tickles your fancy.

As far as barrel twist goes?????
    I would load bullets from 260to 300 gr.
    What rate twist would be the better choice?
    Going to order a Douglas, or a Lilja in a Rem Mag contour, still leaning at a 22in tube.

Appreciate the info

Jesse

Default Gunsmith

I would suggest you pick your gunsmith first, and let him decide on some of those things. Although it's pretty simple to select your contour and twist, the gunsmith will most likely have a preference for manufacturer because they buy most of their barrels from them. That allows them to make a little money on the barrel (although you won't pay any more) as well as the work. Any of the more reputable barrel manufacturers are going to be a good choice. 1 in 12 is the normal twist for a .375.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

I have barrels from several different makers: Krieger, Hart, Pac-Nor, Douglas, Bartlein, and Shilen.

I wasn't concerned with tack-driving accuracy with my .375, since it was intended to be a short-range bear thumper. I chose a Douglas barrel, because I could get a stainless .375 blank for less than $200, and I didn't have wait several months to get it.